Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > New aluminum stockpot!
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2013, 02:52 AM   #11
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
cluckk's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 1,599
Liked 347 Times on 226 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by govner1
Stick with SS pots. Aluminum will leach out into solution w/ things like hot wort. Anecdotal evidence from the CDC indicates aluminum as a major factor in Alzheimer's.
Anecdotal evidence is not actual evidence. I doubt the CDC, an agency greatly concerned with facts is sharing anecdotal evidence. The possibility of it affecting the beer is more real, but so long as it has the oxide layer it should be no problem.

I wouldn't reuse the water. Is it really worth it risking five gallons of beer (the cost of ingredients, hours of effort and weeks of anticipation) to keep from wasting, at worst, a couple dollars of water?
__________________

"So you say you just brewed your first batch of beer. Welcome to the obsession." --me, to every first time brewer I ever meet.

cluckk is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 10:32 PM   #12
govner1
Raconteur
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
 
govner1's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,867
Liked 211 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

Are you willing to take the chance for a few bucks of AL vs. SS?
Go ahead- happy memories!

__________________
govner1 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 10:41 PM   #13
benco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
benco's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Sherman, Texas
Posts: 281
Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts

Default

From what I've read on the forums aluminum is fine, but most prefer stainless. I did use aluminum turkey fryer on my first few batches, they turned out fine, then I went to stainless. Good luck with your brewing!

__________________
benco is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 10:53 PM   #14
dannylerch
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 120
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Default

Dont use aluminum. It is too thin, even from health reasons aside. SS pots have thicker bottoms. You risk burning your wort with cheapy aluminum kettles. I got a 5 gallon kettle from my local home brew store for like 35 bucks. Great for 2.5 gallon boils. You get what you pay for! If you're serious about home brewing, you're gonna buy one eventually anyway. So just get a nice stainless kettle for 130 bucks. Three things I wouldn't skimp on,sanitation, wort chiller, and kettle.

__________________
dannylerch is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 10:58 PM   #15
b-boy
16%er
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
 
b-boy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: GETZVILLE, NY
Posts: 2,452
Liked 444 Times on 321 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Default

Aluminum is fine. So is SS. Either one works well.

__________________

Never underestimate the potential of someone who refuses to act their age.

b-boy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 02:09 AM   #16
jiggs_casey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jiggs_casey's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Independence, Missouri
Posts: 1,160
Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannylerch View Post
Dont use aluminum. It is too thin, even from health reasons aside. SS pots have thicker bottoms. You risk burning your wort with cheapy aluminum kettles. I got a 5 gallon kettle from my local home brew store for like 35 bucks. Great for 2.5 gallon boils. You get what you pay for! If you're serious about home brewing, you're gonna buy one eventually anyway. So just get a nice stainless kettle for 130 bucks. Three things I wouldn't skimp on,sanitation, wort chiller, and kettle.
Where do you guys get your information from? I actually switched from ss to a bigger aluminum pot a few years ago and my ss pot is about half as thin! Heat is heat. You are just as 'prone' to scorching your wort on ss as you are aluminum. Honestly, this will really only happen if you are using extract and allow it to sink to the bottom of the pot where it will sit directly on the heat. Which, btw, you can avoid by turning the heat off when you add your extract!

Under certain conditions, aluminum will leech into food. Wrap half a tomato in tin foil and let it sit for a week or so. The acids in the tomato will eventually break down the foil. This does NOT happen when it comes to wort! Aluminum has been used in the restaurant industry for years without ill effect!

Yes, ss is sexy! But, that sexy comes with a cost. A cost I would rather spend on other things, like ingredients! There are no inherent dangers in using aluminum cookware.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
I also HATE that attitude that I NEED TO BE MONITORED. Don't Tread on Me MF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigeb View Post
It's my God-given right to be as stupid as I want to be. How dare the government get in the way.
Go Beer!
jiggs_casey is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 03:16 AM   #17
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
FuzzeWuzze's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Hillsboro, OR
Posts: 2,149
Liked 235 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by govner1 View Post
Are you willing to take the chance for a few bucks of AL vs. SS?
Go ahead- happy memories!
I have anecdotal evidence that living on a dairy farm and drinking whole milk for 70 years caused my grandparents to get alzheimers.

Aluminum is fine.
__________________
HOWTO - Build a BrewPi Fermentation Chamber Cheap

View Current Brew via my BrewPi setup!
FuzzeWuzze is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 05:03 PM   #18
luke_d
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 264
Liked 36 Times on 28 Posts

Default

Thank guys! At this moment, I'd rathe spend the 35 bucks that I spent on a 10 gallon aluminum kettle, than however much a 10 gallon SS kettle would be. It worked fine! Hydrometer sample before pitching taste fine, and it turned out great. Plus aluminum is like a third of the cost, if not more.

__________________
luke_d is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 08:48 PM   #19
lespaul23
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Saugus, Ma
Posts: 208
Liked 20 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannylerch View Post
Dont use aluminum. It is too thin, even from health reasons aside. SS pots have thicker bottoms. You risk burning your wort with cheapy aluminum kettles. I got a 5 gallon kettle from my local home brew store for like 35 bucks. Great for 2.5 gallon boils. You get what you pay for! If you're serious about home brewing, you're gonna buy one eventually anyway. So just get a nice stainless kettle for 130 bucks. Three things I wouldn't skimp on,sanitation, wort chiller, and kettle.
Ok, so here comes another ss vs alum thread. I have to put my 2c in.

I use a 8gal alum kettle that i got from amazon for $29 shipped. Nothing burns on the bottom and you know what thin means? It means it heats up and coold down faster. Thats not a problem with me. My full boils taste great. I would rather do what I do then do a half boil in a ss just to say "I have a ss kettle" Doing a full boil will make your beer taste better. A known fact, unlike the false fact that ss will make your beer taste better.

I got an economy chiller, $39 shipped. Better then $100+ and you know what, it works just fine. My "cheap" chiller cools my "cheap" pot with a full boil volume of 5 and 1/2gal down to 70deg in 12min.

To the OP, congrats on the new kettle you will love it.
__________________

Too much to list going on.....


Kevin

lespaul23 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 09:13 PM   #20
SpentGrains
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Livermore, CA
Posts: 248
Liked 39 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

Biggest downside is you shouldn't use Oxyclean and Bar Keepers Friend on it, the two cleaners I use the most.

They remove the oxidation or eventually cause pitting if left soaking too long.

__________________
SpentGrains is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
10 gallon Stockpot TheKramer89 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 11 03-15-2012 05:23 PM
Size of stockpot? NJtarheel Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 14 02-09-2011 09:11 PM
Question about Aluminum stockpot Fetus Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 7 04-14-2010 11:20 PM
Bayou Classic 80 Qt. Aluminum Stockpot $31 DrHops Equipment/Sanitation 16 12-31-2009 05:08 AM
40 qrt stockpot for 22.40 - >35.00 w shipping bluehouse Equipment/Sanitation 72 04-23-2009 03:06 PM