The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > New to all-grain. Is Blichmann best?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2012, 06:12 PM   #111
rickert76
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie_Man View Post
Awesome! Your husband is a lucky man. Have fun brewing together
Ha! I won't be brewing with him unless he decides to brew up a batch of rum and coke. This hobby is all his. I occasionally help him siphon and bottle but that's as far as it goes.

I will take some pics of the stuff when it's all done. I'd like everyone's opinion on the wort chiller. I had a slight issue when making my last bend that goes over the side of the kettle so I am hoping it will still work.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 08:18 PM   #112
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 472 Times on 417 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickert76 View Post
Ha! I won't be brewing with him unless he decides to brew up a batch of rum and coke. This hobby is all his.
That's just so sad...

Quote:
I occasionally help him siphon and bottle but that's as far as it goes.
I have a comment about being better at suction, but I'll keep it 'G' rated...

Quote:
I will take some pics of the stuff when it's all done. I'd like everyone's opinion on the wort chiller. I had a slight issue when making my last bend that goes over the side of the kettle so I am hoping it will still work.
Do you have, or did you post, a picture? They sell the spring tubing bender tools at most hardware stores. Makes tighter bends a lot easier. I actually have a set from when I started making my own IC's (before upgrading to a plate chiller)...

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 12-07-2012, 08:24 PM   #113
rickert76
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
That's just so sad...

I have a comment about being better at suction, but I'll keep it 'G' rated...

Do you have, or did you post, a picture? They sell the spring tubing bender tools at most hardware stores. Makes tighter bends a lot easier. I actually have a set from when I started making my own IC's (before upgrading to a plate chiller)...

HaHa! I haven't taken a picture but I will. I had to construct it and leave it elsewhere so that he doesn't find it. THis stuff is not exactly the easiest stuff to hide. My plumber cousin let me borrow his pipe bending tool which helped immensely! Like I said, just one issue at the very end. I bent it with not enough length for it to stick far enough out of the kettle for my liking so I tried to rebend it. It worked out ok. I'll try to get a picture soon.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:46 PM   #114
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 472 Times on 417 Posts
Likes Given: 266

If you make it so that the ends, outside the kettle, are bent so they're facing down, it's better. That way, any drips/leaks will (by virtue of physics and gravity) drip outside the kettle (unless he has the ends inside the kettle rim ).

Sign up for the premium membership (support the site) so you both can access the boneyard and post up some 'interesting' pictures. My eyes, MY EYES!!! lol

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 12-10-2012, 02:36 PM   #115
rickert76
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
If you make it so that the ends, outside the kettle, are bent so they're facing down, it's better. That way, any drips/leaks will (by virtue of physics and gravity) drip outside the kettle (unless he has the ends inside the kettle rim ).

Sign up for the premium membership (support the site) so you both can access the boneyard and post up some 'interesting' pictures. My eyes, MY EYES!!! lol

Wish I would have know it was okay to have the ends curved down outside the kettle before. That's how it was on accident so I try to straighten it and now it doesn't look as pretty. I just hope its functional. Here are pics of what I have completed so far. I did have a leak when I tested it but I was afraid to tighten the clamos too tight and that was my problem. No leaks now
dscf8781-630x800-.jpg   dscf8783-592x800-.jpg  

Old 12-10-2012, 02:41 PM   #116
jammin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 174 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 124

Outstanding!!!

Old 12-10-2012, 03:03 PM   #117
Pie_Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Very nice! Great job :mug

Old 12-26-2012, 02:52 PM   #118
LandoLincoln
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 455 Times on 272 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Well? What the heck happened? I want to see video of him jumping for joy around the Christmas tree like a little boy.

Old 12-26-2012, 03:51 PM   #119
rickert76
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandoLincoln View Post
Well? What the heck happened? I want to see video of him jumping for joy around the Christmas tree like a little boy.
The gift was a success. I think he was a little overwhelmed but happy. he definately wasn't expecting all of it. He ended up with the Blichman pot, my 50' homemade wort chiller which i am so proud of, the homemade mashtun, and a new growler ect for doing yeast starters, topped it off with some hop flavored candy for his stocking and a few bottles of beer! And I got a 6 Qt Kitchenaid so we are all happy!!!

I am sure he will be joining this forum soon to get some all grain brewing advice so hopefully he will love it as much as I have. You guys have all just been great!! Merry Christmas and happy brewing!!
Old 12-26-2012, 03:58 PM   #120
mikescooling
Recipes 

Liked 201 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 182

I've wanted a 6 Qt kitchenaid for years, sounds like you guys did well... Merry Christmas!

Quick Reply