Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > New to all-grain. Is Blichmann best?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012, 03:30 PM   #101
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 266

If you're not used to (or have at least a bit of experience) bending soft copper, it can be an issue. If you don't do it right you'll get ugly/nasty kinks that will restrict the chill water flow and be potential leak points. You can get the spring bending tools, but what are you going to do with those after? By the time you're done, it might have been better/cheaper to just buy one that's made by more experienced people.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 03:57 PM   #102
mikescooling
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 230 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 211

This is a tuffy. Your buying tools for the evolution of a brewer; where in his journey is he and what tools will help him? Blichmann is good stuff, but cost a lot. 10gal will work for up to 6 gallon batches. Do you guys have a keg set up? That is a lot more cut and dry. Kegging is kegging.

Old 12-04-2012, 04:04 PM   #103
rickert76
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikescooling View Post
This is a tuffy. Your buying tools for the evolution of a brewer; where in his journey is he and what tools will help him? Blichmann is good stuff, but cost a lot. 10gal will work for up to 6 gallon batches. Do you guys have a keg set up? That is a lot more cut and dry. Kegging is kegging.
Not sure what a Keg system consists of. He currently does 5 gal extract batches. He has a 5 gal pot that he makes it all in on the stove top, has the 5 gal plastic buckets and a glass carboy for fermenting. He has never "cooled" anything with special equipment other than throwing ice cubes in it at the end. Does that make sense?

Old 12-04-2012, 04:07 PM   #104
rickert76
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well, now I'm back to debating the wort chiller, DIY or buy? Looks like 50' chillers cost around $100 but you can get 50' of copper for $45 plus the fittings (maybe $10 total) or buy a 25' around $60-$70. So buy a 25' premade for the same price as making a 50' possibly wrong?? What a dilemma! I have 21 days to figure it out and wrap it

Old 12-04-2012, 04:11 PM   #105
dbrewski
This is my User Title
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 36

If you are not comfortable cutting copper (it's pretty easy actually) then just take the 50' and coil it up. Find something 8-9" in diameter to wrap the tubing around. I used a corny keg but you might have a smaller diameter pot or something you could use. Then just put some tubing on it with garden hose fittings on the end (use hose clamps). He can always makea prechiller later, if he's really into it and conditions require.

Just my 2 cents but I would stop at blichmann and chiller. That's a big step forward, then let him consider the all-grain as a next step.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:11 PM   #106
LandoLincoln
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 598 Times on 345 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickert76 View Post
Well, now I'm back to debating the wort chiller, DIY or buy? Looks like 50' chillers cost around $100 but you can get 50' of copper for $45 plus the fittings (maybe $10 total) or buy a 25' around $60-$70. So buy a 25' premade for the same price as making a 50' possibly wrong?? What a dilemma! I have 21 days to figure it out and wrap it
Personally, I'd hold off buying the chiller. Your boyfriend / husband might have some personal preferences on whether he wants an immersion chiller, a home-made counter-flow chiller or a commercially made counter-flow plate chiller. Some people really like the immersion chillers, but I strongly prefer a counter-flow chiller.

If he's got some time off around Christmas and can't wait to use his new brew equipment but wants a chiller before he uses it, he could make a chiller in no time flat after a trip to the hardware store.

Old 12-07-2012, 04:57 PM   #107
rickert76
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Latest update...I now have a shiny Blichmann 10 gal pot ready for all grain and a 50' immersion wort chiller made by yours truly and I think it turned out pretty well if I do say so myself. I have all the parts to convert the cooler to the mashtun and then his Christmas present will be complete...just add a few bottles of something yummy already made to enjoy while doing his homebrewing and hopefully he will think I am the best wify around

Old 12-07-2012, 05:01 PM   #108
chickypad
lupulin shift victim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 354 Times on 301 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickert76 View Post
Latest update...I now have a shiny Blichmann 10 gal pot ready for all grain and a 50' immersion wort chiller made by yours truly and I think it turned out pretty well if I do say so myself. I have all the parts to convert the cooler to the mashtun and then his Christmas present will be complete...just add a few bottles of something yummy already made to enjoy while doing his homebrewing and hopefully he will think I am the best wify around
Sounds like you did great. If he's not ecstatic he's nuts!!

Old 12-07-2012, 05:04 PM   #109
jerrodm
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Well done! Maybe you should get together with my wife--never know, a little might rub off on her.

Old 12-07-2012, 05:13 PM   #110
Pie_Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Awesome! Your husband is a lucky man. Have fun brewing together

Quick Reply