Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > New!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2012, 05:14 AM   #1
MadMarty911
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default New!

Hello from a dude up north!!!
I'm looking into getting a brew kit - looking for a fully decked out kit ie glass carboys, 2+ pails etc.
Recommendations??
Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2012, 05:54 AM   #2
greenhaze
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Midwest Supplies
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/
Slainte

Old 07-11-2012, 06:58 AM   #3
KeyWestBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 528 Times on 410 Posts
Likes Given: 641

Austin homebrew supply.... $7.99 flat rate shipping on orders under $100 and $4.99 flat rate on orders over $100. Shipping is very quick and they have everything your looking for and more. Best deal your gonna get on shipping ordering 2 carboys plus everything else you need. Good selection of kits too. Just ordered a Chimay Grande Reserve all grain kit from them 3 days ago.

EAC - 5/2/14

Growing Hops in Key West, FL....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/casc...y-west-333466/

Primary : Mosaic Cream ale
Primary : Muddy Waters Bourbon Mocha Stout
Primary : London System Southern English Brown
On Tap : Pumpkin Pie Cider, Cash Rules Everything Around Me CREAM Ale, Edicion Regionales Inglaterra

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Old 07-11-2012, 07:36 AM   #4
Jwood
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts

I don't have any recommendations on where to get a new kit as I don't know the best deal, but I'm just warning you that once you start this journey you will never be the same.....in a good way of course

Old 07-11-2012, 08:51 AM   #5
IkeKrizzule
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Our American friends are trying to be helpful, but what I think you'll find is most American places aren't going to ship to Canada. They can't ship brewing ingredients, and it probably isn't economical for them to ship even if they would. There are a few online places I've used - Brewers Pantry, Hop Dawgs, and Canadian Home Brew Supplies, but your best bet is probably to find a local store. The places I listed all ship by Canada Post and for a starter kit you're probably looking at about $15-20 for shipping.

Your profile says you're from Medicine Hat, a quick google shows a place called Steiners and another called Home Brewers Haven. Check them out first. In my experience most places you'll find will cater more to wine than beer brewers, but a starter kit is basically the same for either. Even if they're more geared to wine, they'll likely still sell basic ingredient kits which is as good a way as any to get started. Also the people at the store might be able to give you some advice.

Good luck.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:10 AM   #6
Dan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1977 Times on 1223 Posts
Likes Given: 2799

I was about to reply with a suggestion or two and then read IkeKrizzule's reply. People post here from all over the world and sometimes we forget to look at what country they come from when we reply.

The coolest thing to me is that all homebrewers no matter what country they live in seem to be of the same mindset.. Help a brother out.

Great first post MadMarty911. Welcome to HBT and this crazy brewing hobby.

Cheers!

Dan

Old 07-11-2012, 01:47 PM   #7
billl
Recipes 

Liked 286 Times on 241 Posts
Likes Given: 7

And not to temper your spirits, but I wouldn't go buy the most decked out kit you can find (unless you just get super deal on it.) Everyone has different preferences for equipment, and you don't know what yours are yet. Personally, I have do desire to go around lifting slippery glass carboys filled with 5 gallons of liquid, but some people love them. Believe me, you'll have plenty of time to spend way too much money on your brew setup.

Old 07-11-2012, 01:58 PM   #8
MMJfan
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
And not to temper your spirits, but I wouldn't go buy the most decked out kit you can find (unless you just get super deal on it.) Everyone has different preferences for equipment, and you don't know what yours are yet. Personally, I have do desire to go around lifting slippery glass carboys filled with 5 gallons of liquid, but some people love them. Believe me, you'll have plenty of time to spend way too much money on your brew setup.
I agree with this. I got my starter kit with one glass carboy and I've used it once and that was on my first batch. It was a DIPA and I had to dry hop which was a complete pain in the arse to try to stuff dry leaf hops thru the narrow opening of the carboy. Never again will I dry hop in a carboy.

For the most part, I just keep my brews in my fermenting bucket all the way thru to when I rack it to my bottling bucket. Much easier and less hassle. I've actually bought 5 fermenting buckets to add to my equipment inventory as opposed to buying any new carboys...

Old 07-11-2012, 02:11 PM   #9
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2267 Times on 1975 Posts
Likes Given: 1700

I feel the same way,mmj. Full glas carboys are dangerous,esspecially at my age. A bit too heavy & that small opening can be a pain. I use ale pails & my Cooper's micro brew FV. Wide openings & easy to clean.
But make sure you get a bottle brush,bottling wand,tubing for it,bottling bucket with spigot,bottle capper,caps,hydrometer,bottle tree,vinator. Also good to have is a small digital scale for weighing hops,priming sugar,& the like which are always given by weight. I also found a 3 piece set of aquarium lift tube brushes handy for cleaning tubing & spigots.
I also cleaned & saved 3 1 gallon Sunny-D orange juice jugs. 1 for PBW solution,1 for Starsan,& a third marked in 1 quart measures to measure water for the brew kettle & top off for the FV.
Plus dedicated measuring cups,measuring spoons,& funnels from the dollar store That come in handy for measuring DME,PBW & starsan to mix with water,etc. It seems to me that it's the little bits that come in the handiest.

Old 07-11-2012, 02:15 PM   #10
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3693 Times on 2275 Posts
Likes Given: 3198

I use Better Bottles (plastic carboys). No pails for me. Dryhopping is simple in a carboy when using pellets. I would not use glass carboys.

There, just wanted to balance out the fermenter choices. Carry on good folk!

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS