Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > neverending fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2009, 01:58 AM   #1
GranillaNutz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default neverending fermentation

well i did the bee cave hefe and couldn't get the wienstephan so i had to go with the wb06 yeast. i pitched on the 16th and that night had blowoff within 5 hrs. with at least a gallon and a half of head space. that week fermentation seemd to slow dramatically with only a half inch of krausen bubbling every 10 seconds or so. i had planned on bottling on memorial day, but noticed the fermentation seemd to have picked up. now it's the 29th and i've got about 3 inches of krausen, with no signs of infection and bubbles every second. i've been told on other forums that some yeasts have several different strains in a packet? when one stops another one starts? is this true? i'm sure one day my beer will stop bubbling, but i don't wanna stop it before its thru.

"Sometimes when i reflect back on all the beer I drink, I feel ashamed. Then i look into the glass and think about all the workers in the brewery and all their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work, and their dreams would be shattered. Then i say to myself, "it's better that i drink this beer and let their dreams come true than to be selfish and worry about my liver."" -jack handy

Last edited by GranillaNutz; 05-30-2009 at 02:01 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2009, 02:06 AM   #2
nebben
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 10

You pitched on the 16th of May? Leave it be. If it is bubbling, it isn't done yet. Also, get a hydrometer reading at some point , and do it again a few days later to confirm the fermentation is done. Less than two weeks is far from a neverending fermentation!

Old 05-30-2009, 03:27 AM   #3
snipper_cr
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I pitched someone the 18th and had a starting gravity of around 1.07. While fermentation never got major, it was going about once a second. Now its down to once every few seconds but has been like this for almost a week. My fermentation temperature is low though, near 62 degrees in the basement. People have been saying "low and slow" is the way to go! Just did a gravity check of it today. Down to 1.03 so should be coming up on it.

The "Hops Shortage" is the gods way of punishing us for not making our beers bitter enough.

Primary #1: British Brown
Primary #2: Empty
Primary #3: Empty
Secondary #1: Empty
Keg #1: Chocolate Oatmeal Stout
Keg #2: Hoppy Red

Quick Reply