Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Never realized how important fermentation temps are...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2008, 04:17 PM   #1
AllGoNoShow
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Never realized how important fermentation temps are...

So I brewed the AHS sweet stout about 4 weeks ago and used 12 grams of Munton's dry yeast (OG-1.60). The batch fermented at a pretty constant temp of 65 degrees (stick on thermometer said 66)....and after 4 days it showed 1.30 (target is 1.22). I then checked again a week later, and still 1.30. Stuck fermentation?

So I repitch 6 grams of Munton's dry yeast 2 weeks after brew day and I never noticed anymore activity and sure enough I check a week later and it is still at 1.30. Figuring I just screwed something up I was going to bottle this weekend because it wasn't going down any but I got too busy and couldn't get around to it. Well over this past weekend the tempature here has warmed up to 70-72 degrees (stick on thermometer says 70) and yesterday by chance I look at the carboy and there is krausen again on the top and I notice it bubbling away (and it has continued into today). Now, I've always heard that 65 degrees is fine for fermentation, but apparently not! For all those beginners out there like me, take this as a lesson how important fermentation temps are...I will now always be shooting for 70 degrees or a littler warmer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2008, 04:23 PM   #2
Bearcat Brewmeister
Pour, Drink, Pee, Repeat
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 7 Posts

It all depends on the yeast strain. Some work fine at 65F throughout, some need to be warmer, and some cooler. For the strains I use most commonly, I ferment one at 68F, one at 66F, and one at 62F for primary and 58F for secondary because that is where they each work best. Always ferment at the temperature range recommended by the maker of the yeast strain and only warm it as a last resort if you get a stuck fermentation like you did.

Primary:
--
Next Up: Bock
Projects: Brutus Strut-stand (Done), Freezer Conversion (Done), HERMS (Done), Lager Fermentation Mini-fridge Extension (Done)
Drinking: Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald, Fuller's 1845, New Glarus Moon Man, Tröegs Troegenator

Old 04-23-2008, 07:11 PM   #3
JVD_X
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllGoNoShow
So I brewed the AHS sweet stout about 4 weeks ago and used 12 grams of Munton's dry yeast (OG-1.60). The batch fermented at a pretty constant temp of 65 degrees (stick on thermometer said 66)....and after 4 days it showed 1.30 (target is 1.22). I then checked again a week later, and still 1.30. Stuck fermentation?

So I repitch 6 grams of Munton's dry yeast 2 weeks after brew day and I never noticed anymore activity and sure enough I check a week later and it is still at 1.30. Figuring I just screwed something up I was going to bottle this weekend because it wasn't going down any but I got too busy and couldn't get around to it. Well over this past weekend the tempature here has warmed up to 70-72 degrees (stick on thermometer says 70) and yesterday by chance I look at the carboy and there is krausen again on the top and I notice it bubbling away (and it has continued into today). Now, I've always heard that 65 degrees is fine for fermentation, but apparently not! For all those beginners out there like me, take this as a lesson how important fermentation temps are...I will now always be shooting for 70 degrees or a littler warmer.
Did you airate it enough. It is generally a no-no but with 20 points left to ferment you might also want to hit it with some oxygen as well as repitch as the yeast will eat it up anyhow.

- JVD_X

Old 04-23-2008, 07:16 PM   #4
Dr_Deathweed

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

rehitting it with O2 at this point is a big no no. If it started trucking as you warmed it up, keep it at that.

"Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence." - Napoleon Bonaparte
“An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.” - Ernest Hemingway

Fermentation CabinetAdding Faucets to a TowerDIY HopbackPortable Kegerator

Old 04-23-2008, 11:42 PM   #5
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Munton's isn't a real versatile yeast in my opinion. I could see it falter at 65F.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 04-24-2008, 12:55 AM   #6
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkore
Munton's isn't a real versatile yeast in my opinion. I could see it falter at 65F.
I used it when I first started brewing and had no luck with it at all below 70F. I stopped using it in favour of Nottingham or Windsor, both of which will happily ferment at 65F.

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Old 04-24-2008, 12:58 AM   #7
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 129

+1 to each yeast having their own "comfort zone"

I used White Labs Edinburgh Ale on my Pecan Scottish ale, and fermented at about 70 room temp, or 72 internal beer temp..... Came out with weird banananana-y esters, and got a poor score because of it in both the Brewery competition and also our local club comp. I was very sad, because I thought I had done fantastically. Oh well.

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 04-24-2008, 01:01 AM   #8
bluedragoon85
Recipes 

I have had the same problem using Munton's Dry Ale Yeast twice. I also used it because it was recommended by AHS. I plan on no longer using it and giving a try to Safale S-04 and Nottingham as they seem to give better results (based on what others have told me)

Old 04-24-2008, 01:57 AM   #9
bethlehembrewer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsul
I used it when I first started brewing and had no luck with it at all below 70F. I stopped using it in favour of Nottingham or Windsor, both of which will happily ferment at 65F.

No wonder I had a stuck fermentation! Last time I use Muntons for my stuff.

Primary: London Mild
Bottled: Holding it over with Fat Tire and Alaskan Amber
Up next: ???

Old 04-24-2008, 04:09 PM   #10
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathweed
rehitting it with O2 at this point is a big no no.
Big, BIG no-no. Once you have alcohol in there, keep the oxygen far, far away or you're buying a one-way ticket to cardboard city.

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Quick Reply