Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Never dump your beer!!! Patience IS a virtue!!! Time heals all things, even beer!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2012, 05:18 PM   #291
Ari
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well... My friend and I had it boiling in two separate pots and I noticed that if we pick up a ladle full and pour it back in it cools way faster than just stirring it. It was pretty much as much as you could splash it without spilling it.

The oj was in the boil for 10-15 minutes. We boiled it for 45 then added the spices, nutmeg, coriander, two oranges worth of zest, two oranges worth of juice... I'm thinking that's what the problem was more and more though. I did rack it in order to take the yeast off the bottom. The beef bullion flavor worried me that my yeast was dying and I wanted to save the cake for a batch of something else later.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2012, 07:08 PM   #292
TimpanogosSlim
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Out of curiosity do we have a good definition of what yeast autolysis tastes like? I'm under the impression that it may be the savory sort of soy sauce flavor that turns up in some brews.

Old 08-31-2012, 03:23 AM   #293
Ari
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

ok, I'm drinking a shock top and it tastes exactly like my beer. Maybe I just don't like this kind of wit or something. I like blue moon, but the ramen, vomity soap flavor is present in this shock top too. hmmm...

Old 09-14-2012, 08:50 PM   #294
ajohnson153
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Probably three months ago I brewed a Belgian dark strong ale and forgot to sanitize my fermenter before I put it in there. I was tempted to dump it and call it a loss (Everyone had told me that sanitization is the most important part of brewing, so I figured that if I had failed in that aspect then the beer couldn't possibly work out.) It's still in secondary but my samples have all tasted absolutely fantastic! I'll be bottling this up soon to give as Christmas gifts this year. One of the guys a Hop City, which isn't my usual LHBS, said most infections happen at bottling so I guess I will be going overboard on my sanitary procedures when I bottle. I hope this works out since it would be a shame for this beer to be wrecked in the bottle after it fermented and aged so perfectly.

If you're gonna do wrong buddy, do wrong right!

Old 10-01-2012, 05:30 AM   #295
BrewGoose
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

So I have been following this thread for over a year and would like some advice on one of my brews that I hope to save with time.

I swung for the fences with this brew... hoped to clone Dogfish Head's World Wide Stout (20% ABV). I achieved 19.6% ABV with daily oxygen infusions and nutrient treatments. The WWS clone was bottled and stored in a dark closet in my apartment (about 68-72 degrees). I opened the first bottle 6 months after brewing and noticed right away that there was 0 carbonation! I was heart broken but tasted the brew anyways. WOW! The hops were really over powering and nearly numbed my tongue.

Dejected, I decided to wait until the one year brewversary to test another bottle. The taste and flavor was much improved when I tasted the one year bottle. However, still FLAT.

With such a high ABV, what are my options for bottle carbonation? I am planning on testing another bottle on the 2 year brewversary but would like to see a great head and hear the PISST upon uncapping.

I'd appreciate any help and advice on this matter.

Old 10-01-2012, 06:49 AM   #296
kylevester
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I made a double chocolate cherry stout that turned out horrid. I followed advice here on chocolate and used Hershey's cocoa powder in the last few minutes of the boil and pie cherries in the secondary.

After 3 months in the bottle, it was terrible. 6 months, just as terrible tasting so I dumped almost all of it. It smelled of vomit while pouring it down the drain. 12 months in the bottle and the two I opened had developed a copper flavor and still smelled of vomit. The rest got tossed.

I don't know what the hell happened on this brew, but damn was it wretched and unsaveable.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:56 PM   #297
Seedly
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

My dont pour it out story happened 4 weeks ago.

I had a Belgian Golden that I was making with a few pounds of peaches out of our back yard. This was my second BIAB batch and things seemed to be going well through the mash up until the last 10 minutes or so. See, I had found some 'advice' about a great way to get cheap BIAB bags from WalMart curtains. I am no seamstress (seamstor?), but i thought, what the hell...could save me a couple bucks (note: if you ever find yourself thinking along these lines...STOP IMMEDIATELY AND USE SOME COMMON SENSE).

In those last 10 minutes, i noticed that I had grains floating outside the bag...

Sure enough, I made the bag slightly too big and it melted to the bottom of my brew pot. And whats worse, when I went to lift the bag the melted part ripped out dumping my grain back into the wort!

I probably stood there for a full minute in silence as various combinations of expletives ran through my head. I suddenly realized that i was secondarily screwed as I had no backup bag/filter. The only thing I had was a hop strainer that fits over the top of a fermenting bucket for straining post-boil. Going slowly, I start straining the just barely under 5 gallons of wort and grains from the (5 gal) kettle. It actually didnt go too badly at first, allowing me to sparge each batch of grain separately and then scoop the spent grains into the trash.

That is, until the last gallon or so. I was ready to be done with the ordeal and poured a little too aggressively. The hop strainer over-filled and spilled a fair portion of sweet wort and grains all over the floor.

I couldnt hold back any more. I let loose a tirade that was so violent it had the misses running to the kitchen but only peeking around the corner. We frantically grab some shop towels and basically cover half the kitchen floor with them.

After containing the mess, I look in my brew pot and was horrified at the charred mess of blackened God-knows-what on the bottom of my pot. Thoughts are swimming thought my head at this point of just what melted cheap chinese window curtain is going to do to my beer...

I couldnt stand it. I grabbed the pot and some steel wool and just walked out of the kitchen into the back yard. As I sat scrubbing (which took half an hour, mind you. Even had to resort to using a flat head as a scraper to get the last few bits of suborn crud out), my ever patient, ever loving wife came out to see if I was ok. Having 20 minutes to take my frustrations out on the bottom of my kettle with the steel wool, I let her know how upset I was that everything was going wrong and that I was ready to just dump everything out and forget it.

Again, being the ever patient, ever loving wife, she asked me which would make me feel worse: dumping everything out and trying to forget it or finishing the beer and having it turn out bad.

And then I thought of Revvy.

Damn.

The rest of the brew day (sans an extraordinarily long cleanup) went normally despite running almost 7 hours when it should have been 4. The fermentation was normal. Hell, even the bottling went smoother and faster than ever before.

Oh and the beer? Its in my fridge right now. Not a hint of window curtain to it, although sadly the peach didnt come through very well (note to self: next time puree, dont slice). Im not going to say that its the best brew I ever made, but other than the lack of peach it came though exactly as Id hoped.

So, lessons learned:
- Window curtains are for hanging on windows, not brewing. Get good gear and use it as intended.
- Murphy loves the unprepared. Have a backup plan.
- In addition to being patient and loving, the wife is usually right. Especially when you want to react out of anger.
- Puree, dont slice.
- Dont Dump it Out!!

Old 10-02-2012, 11:01 PM   #298
Han_Solo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Lots of good stuff in here

Old 10-14-2012, 07:04 AM   #299
mrjones1975
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 34

this post just answred a million questions for me thank you to the great brewer who posted this.

Old 10-27-2012, 01:35 AM   #300
onerainmaker
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

As a nooooob, this thread is a salve to my paranoia. I thank you.

(First ever brew, English Bog Standard Bitter by Coopers (antipodean atopia?), 5 bottles primed with Honey, the rest with gran sugar, in a heated seed propagator (I do plants ) (not to be mistaken with "I 'do' plants" ). Excited and impatient. Sounds like a bad recipe.)

By the way, when overpriming, exactly how far does glass fly?

Quick Reply