Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Never dump your beer!!! Patience IS a virtue!!! Time heals all things, even beer!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2009, 07:39 AM   #101
jtneal111
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I have always been a proponent of saving bad beer, mainly due to a double IPA that went from horrible to fantastic in 8 months, but I have recently tasted a beer that really makes me doubt the conventional wisdom. I brewed a belgian dark strong ale that was conventional in every way (Stan would be proud)...only belgian pale malt, pils malt, and dark candi syrup. Read the section on westvleteren from BLAM and decided to let the ferment run wild. Started the 1.100 beer@ 68 degrees and pitched with WL trappist yeast. 4 days later, fermentation had slowed to a trickle. Temperature in the carboy was 84 degrees, and the gravity was 1.016. Waited 2 more days, racked into secondary. Obviously, it tasted like ass at this point, but no worries, right? Waited 12 weeks before next taste, gravity reading stable @ 1.010, tastes like fusel madness. Still, I wasn't worried. Fast forward 13 months post-brew (in carboy, bulk aging). Beer smells absolutely divine: dark fruit, caramel, fig, bread, toffee. Unfortunately, the taste starts out fantastic and finishes with a harsh bitterness and fusel burn. So, would you save this beer? I am incredibly hesitant to pour it out and thinking I may bottle it with fresh yeast to see what happens, but I am very dubious given that I have never heard of having to wait over a year for a beer to become drinkable (let alone good). Even my eisbock only took 10 months to lose the fusel. What do you think?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2009, 01:41 PM   #102
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtneal111 View Post
I am incredibly hesitant to pour it out and thinking I may bottle it with fresh yeast to see what happens, but I am very dubious given that I have never heard of having to wait over a year for a beer to become drinkable (let alone good). Even my eisbock only took 10 months to lose the fusel. What do you think?
Of course beers that big need a heck of a lot of time...Besides you haven't even bottled it yet...that's a whole new fermentation process with a whole new set of post fermentation cleanup (post carbonation bottle conditioning).That's a whole type of conditioning you haven't even applied yet.

And the most important one to me.

You have to see a beer through the entire process from grain to glass (whether bottling or kegging,) and beyond in the bottle, before you declare one dead in the water and dump it..so you are even near that yet.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-29-2009, 04:31 PM   #103
HuggerOrange
Recipes 

Any thoughts on a Chocolate Stout (about 8% ABV) that has soured. To make a long story short before I started brewing at home a little over a year ago my brother and I were going to a local BOP. Last time we went I made a Steam and he made a Chocolate Stout. I took some of the Stouts he gave me and let them age thinking they're a big beer so they'll age well. Well I tried one and it was soured. Hoping it was just one, I had another a few weeks later and it seems to be the whole batch. I have been slowly using them up by blending them with brown and blonde ales - gives the mix a cask quality - but you can only drink so much of it before you burn out your taste buds. I am tempted to sit on the last nine to see what happens with age. What do you think?

Old 04-17-2009, 03:23 AM   #104
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Alright guys. I have a beer that is just not... good. It is not a horrible beer, not infected... It is a year old now (been in a keg in the fridge). Oatmeal stout 5% ABV or so. What should I do with it? I don't have any parties where people drink a lot (hardly any at all) and I only have one drink a day (3 on weekend days) and I always want those to be something tasty.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 04-17-2009, 03:36 AM   #105
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by conpewter View Post
Alright guys. I have a beer that is just not... good. It is not a horrible beer, not infected... It is a year old now (been in a keg in the fridge). Oatmeal stout 5% ABV or so. What should I do with it? I don't have any parties where people drink a lot (hardly any at all) and I only have one drink a day (3 on weekend days) and I always want those to be something tasty.
Well brother Con....You've done exactly WHAT this thread is about. You've given it time, you've waited it out...If you are still not happy with it, then dump it...Unless you can think of a place you can get rid of it at...like to another brewer who might like it, and will return the keg when he kicks it...or a communty event.. If there's no way to unload it, and you're not going to enjoy drining it...then there's really no course of action other than committing beer-icide.

Gang, Con exemplifies the spirit of this thread....trying....not jumping the gun and dumping right away....but giving some time to your beer...it doesn't mean it's always gonna turn out OK....that EVERY BEER is going to magically heal in time....BUT I and many of the other posters believe, that if you dump a beer too soon...the beer is a 100% failure....but if you decide to wait...I think the odds rise to 80-20 that your beer will turn out OK...

There's nothing inherently wrong with Con's beer, I betcha I or many of you would actually LOVE it. But he's given it it's chance, given it some time...so there's nothing wrong with after a year, realizing that it is just not going to be something you are going to enjoy...and dumping it...

Because you tried!

Go in peace, Oatmeal Stout!!!!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-17-2009, 03:39 AM   #106
joety

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Finally a hobby where my talents as a procrastinator actually add value.

Secondaries - None
Lagering in Kegs - None

Kegged: Belgian Dirty Blonde Trappist Ale, Bourbon County Stout, BLC
Bottled: Oaked Bourbon Porter
Planned: Chocolate Cherry Stout

Old 04-17-2009, 03:43 AM   #107
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joety View Post
Finally a hobby where my talents as a procrastinator actually add value.
OH yeah....this is a great hobby for a lazy fu...er I mean procrastinator like you and me...

Leaving your beer in primary for a month= Good brewing practice.
Letting your beer sit in a bottle for a year= Good brewing practice.

Actually it is only surpassed by winemaking for a hobby that benefits from sloth. (I have some beers "lagering" for the very same reason.)

Old 04-17-2009, 04:44 AM   #108
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Thanks Revvy! Perhaps I'll BMBF a few bottles and see if any of my friends enjoy it. If so I can bottle up the rest for them, better than letting it go to waste. I have another oatmeal stout recipe that I absolutely love and that'll be ready in a couple months of aging.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 04-17-2009, 02:30 PM   #109
Brutus Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Time indeed does heal bad beer. I brewed Edwort's Haus Pale Ale back around Christmas and missed all my numbers and didn't think it would be any good. I tasted it again last night and it was awesome, a little thin (I collected too much wort and didn't boil off near enough) but real tasty. Glad I didn't dump it.

Old 04-17-2009, 03:07 PM   #110
bdaddy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Letting your beer sit in a bottle for a year= Good brewing practice.
Does this apply to Ales? Why do some of the books indicate that ales reach their "peak" flavor after 3-4 weeks in the bottle? (I've read at least 2 blurbs that have indicated that.) Are those just inaccurate? Or are you referring to lagers?

Quick Reply