Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Nervous Nellie Newbie: Using White Labs Liquid Yeast for the first time

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2013, 11:44 PM   #1
woozy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Nervous Nellie Newbie: Using White Labs Liquid Yeast for the first time

You know, there should be a "Nervous Nellie Newbie" forum for posts like this-- posts where a newbie actually knows the answer but just wants confirmation and feedback.

So I'm using White Labs Liquid Yeast for the first time time on Saturday. Anything I should be aware of?

I understand that they fizzle and spray with quite a bit more force than one might expect so I intend to open it aimed toward the mouth of my fermenter. I guess I'll dunk it in sanitizer first just in case I either drop it into the fermenter or if it fizzles and bubbles all over the bottle. (Maybe I should be nude when I open it-- one never knows and a Newbie Nellie can't be *too* nervous...)

One thing I'm *not* worried about is making a starter. I'm making a 2-gallon batch and the yeast is good for 5-gallons and that alone makes everything alright, doesn't it? (And the yeast is well within its use-by date and my beer won't have a high o.g. and my fermentation temperature will probably be around 70 and ... well, I forget what the other worry-wort issues are but I really don't think they would apply [do I have to worry about exposure to dinosaur flatulence? There hasn't been a reported dinosaur sighting here in 65 million years but you never know...] )

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2013, 11:47 PM   #2
CBMbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I wouldn't make a starter. Try not to worry yourself sick. Its just beer after all

Happiness is in the eye of the beer holder

Old 04-25-2013, 11:54 PM   #3
SudsyPaul
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

You'll be fine. It'll definitely give you a good spray in the face and surrounding area. Imagine a lightly shaken can of coke, but just do as you said, and open it over the fermenter, after having sanitized the vial and your hands, and then dump everything into the fermenter. Give it a good shake and blamo, you're done.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:04 AM   #4
whoaru99
Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I've used a couple vials of White Labs.

You can minimize the spraying by not following the directions. Instead of waiting until it's all good and warm and shaken up to crack it open, sanitize the top and crack it open when still cool and then several times along the way as it warms and you shake it up.

Then, as further precaution, if you have a small funnel you can sanitize that then open over the funnel. However, if you let off the pressure in stages as it warms rather than all at the end, spraying will be minimized or eliminated.

Primary: Pre-prohibition Lager
Secondary: Russian Imperial Stout
Drinking: Chinook IPA
Drinking: Waldo Lake Amber
Drinking: Edwort's Apfelwein

Old 04-26-2013, 12:06 AM   #5
woozy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SudsyPaul View Post
It'll definitely give you a good spray in the face and surrounding area. Imagine a lightly shaken can of coke, ...
I'm glad to be forewarned.

I don't want to end up like this guy.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:10 AM   #6
sweed
Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Like a soda bottle when you open it that's about to fizz over, screw it tight again, then after a little, open it slightly, it'll fizz up again, screw it tight again. Keep doing this until when you open the cap nothing fizzes over. It worked for my last test tube

Old 04-26-2013, 12:11 AM   #7
woozy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 View Post
Instead of waiting until it's all good and warm and shaken up to crack it open, sanitize the top and crack it open when still cool and then several times along the way as it warms and you shake it up.

if you let off the pressure in stages as it warms rather than all at the end, spraying will be minimized or eliminated.
It won't seep out as it warms up?

Well, I guess it's not under *that* much pressure that it needs to be hermitically sealed.

This is good advice. Thank you.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:18 AM   #8
ThatGeekGuy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Nude yeast pitching, to think I've been missing this critical step all these beers....

Primary 1: Lonely
Primary 2: Lonely
Secondary 1: Orange Mead (Made Jan. 2013)
On Tap #1: Catcher in the Rye Pale Ale
On Tap #2: Vanilla Porter
On Deck: Thinking....

Old 04-26-2013, 12:43 AM   #9
whoaru99
Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by woozy View Post
It won't seep out as it warms up?
Don't leave it loose. Take out of fridge, crack it, let off pressure, tighten cap, let it warm a little. Repeat until it's at pitching temp.

Primary: Pre-prohibition Lager
Secondary: Russian Imperial Stout
Drinking: Chinook IPA
Drinking: Waldo Lake Amber
Drinking: Edwort's Apfelwein

Old 04-26-2013, 01:11 AM   #10
woozy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 View Post
Don't leave it loose. Take out of fridge, crack it, let off pressure, tighten cap, let it warm a little. Repeat until it's at pitching temp.
And only shake it at the very end when ready to pitch?

Um, is *anything* separating the yeast from its starter other then the torpor of being stored cold? (Wyeast has that silly but effective smack-pack biz so the yeast doesn't eat the starter but White Labs didn't seem to have any such separator.)

And for purposes of discussion, why shouldn't I pitch the yeast cold? It's just going to wake up in the wort anyway, won't it? (Although, of course, it won't *pour* very well cold what with being all thick and viscous and all.)

Quick Reply