Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Negative Effects from Burnt LME?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2008, 08:28 PM   #1
schneemann
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Negative Effects from Burnt LME?

As I was cleaning up from this debacle I noticed areas where something (I assume to be LME) had burnt onto the bottom of the pot. Is this going to carry over into the taste of the beer?

Drinkin - Bombsight Oatmeal Stout, 57 Minute IPA

Zazzle Crap | BombSight Brewery at CafePress | Brewstand Build | Schmidling MaltMill Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBHoss View Post
I, Hoss, hereby profess that Master shneemann holds all the answers and is right, even when wrong, and that I humble myself before his vastly superior intellect. :mug:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2008, 08:31 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I've found that several soaks in hot water and oxyclean has cleaned the results of boilovers from the drip trays under the elements on my electric stove...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-11-2008, 08:39 PM   #3
schneemann
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I'm not concerned about the stove. This was *in* the pot.

Zazzle Crap | BombSight Brewery at CafePress | Brewstand Build | Schmidling MaltMill Review

Quote:
I, Hoss, hereby profess that Master shneemann holds all the answers and is right, even when wrong, and that I humble myself before his vastly superior intellect. :mug:

Old 06-11-2008, 08:43 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by schneemann View Post
I'm not concerned about the stove. This was *in* the pot.
Uh.....I'm saying if it works for carmellized drip catchers on the stove, it will probably work inside the pot as well.

I use it *IN* my pots all the time...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-11-2008, 08:48 PM   #5
schneemann
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Uh.....I'm saying if it works for carmellized drip catchers on the stove, it will probably work inside the pot as well.

OK, I'm not concerned about cleaning the pot, either.
As my original post said, "Is this going to carry over into the taste of the beer?"

Quote:

Old 06-11-2008, 08:51 PM   #6
BlindLemonLars
Conqueroo Brew

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post

I think he's more concerned about the batch in which he burned the LME, not the pot or future batches.

I'm guessing yes...if you scorched your LME, you will probably taste it in your beer. As with most bad flavors, it will probably mellow somewhat with age.

Taste your next hydrometer sample.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:55 PM   #7
Awfers
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by schneemann View Post
As I was cleaning up from this debacle I noticed areas where something (I assume to be LME) had burnt onto the bottom of the pot. Is this going to carry over into the taste of the beer?
If it's sticking to the bottom INSIDE of your pot, then yes, it will, in theory (really depends on how much there is). All your equipment, should always be clean, all of the time.

I think what Revvy is trying to say is that you should clean your pot thoroughly

In my experience this can be avoided by:

- bringing your pot to boil and then turning down the burner so you achieve a "rolling boil" but not at 100% of the output of your burner. Sometimes it comes down to the quality of the pot.

- slowly adding your DME and stirring constantly so it doesn't "clump" on the bottom and burn / caramelize.

Cheers,
Awfers

Old 06-11-2008, 10:08 PM   #8
jds

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts

The above technique works well for DME. However, LME sinks like a rock when you put in a boiler, and the only way I was ever able to avoid scorching was to take the kettle completely off the heat (like take it off the stove burners, or turn the propane burner off and wait a couple of minutes), add the LME, stir like crazy, stir some more, and then slowly bring it back up to a boil.

Old 06-11-2008, 10:24 PM   #9
pcrawford
Recipes 

I had a bit of burnt LME in the bottom of my pot and didn't taste it.

Old 06-12-2008, 12:20 AM   #10
schneemann
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awfers View Post
If it's sticking to the bottom INSIDE of your pot, then yes, it will, in theory (really depends on how much there is). All your equipment, should always be clean, all of the time.

I think what Revvy is trying to say is that you should clean your pot thoroughly
I did. This happened during the batch. Its not like I had unclean stuff I was trying to boil in. I know I'm a n00b and all, but really now

Quote:

Quick Reply