New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Need some quick advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2012, 11:04 PM   #1
BlindFaith
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Default Need some quick advice

I bought a cheapo thermometer that apparently was off by about 20 degrees, so I thought my wort was 81 when it was actually around 60. It is too cold to ferment and I am in the process of warming it up. My question is how cold is too cold to pitch the yeast? I am gonna try and wait for it to get to around 70, which is normal. Am I at any risk by cooling the wort so much?? I am pissed that this thermometer is crap. Never buy a Taylor probe thermometer as they APPARENTLY are not water resistant and give bad readings. Says nothing about water resistance on the packaging. I think I will be fine though. The wort is covered in my sink with some warmer (75 F) water to get it back to pitching temp. Just a noob mistake as I will have to invest in a thermopen or equivalent.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 11:09 PM   #2
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 467 Times on 414 Posts
Likes Given: 266

What yeast are you using?

IMO/IME, going cooler is BETTER than warmer for pitching temp. I usually try to get my wort to the low 60's or mid 50's (when possible) even though most of my strains like the 60-70F range.

Also, IME, the wort will try to climb towards ambient as the yeast are getting ready.

As for thermometers, I use Fisher Scientific models with the sensors on wires to get the fermenting temps (in a thermowell inside my fermenters). I use a Fluke 52II unit and type K probes for by brewing temperatures (including when chilling). Very accurate and super easy to use. Also, since they are all remote compared with the actual sensor, no worries about water doing anything. Besides, they are water proof (had one Fisher get blow-off all over it, wiped clean and continues to work properly).

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

...the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed

Old 11-03-2012, 11:12 PM   #3
BlindFaith
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I am using White Labs California Ale Yeast WLP 001 liquid

Old 11-03-2012, 11:16 PM   #4
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 483 Times on 408 Posts
Likes Given: 129

Low sixties is good for pitching and fermentation. I always try for the low end of the yeast's suggested range.

I am finishing up my fermentation chamber so I will be able to control the temps for 3 brews at a time. Can't wait. I think I'll have to go on a brewing spree and fill it up!

Old 11-03-2012, 11:20 PM   #5
Golddiggie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindFaith View Post
I am using White Labs California Ale Yeast WLP 001 liquid
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 68-73°F

I would go below that range to start with. IMO 60-65 is no issue at all.

Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 11-04-2012, 12:25 AM   #6
JLem
naturally selected
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

60 degrees is perfect! 70 is too high IMHO. Remember that fermentation temps will be higher than the ambient temp. If you pitch and ferment at 70 your beer temp will really be at 75 or more, which is too high. If you pitch and ferment at 60, your beer temp will be at 65-68, which is perfect.

Old 11-04-2012, 01:24 AM   #7
doc5md
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post

As for thermometers, I use Fisher Scientific models with the sensors on wires to get the fermenting temps (in a thermowell inside my fermenters). I use a Fluke 52II unit and type K probes for by brewing temperatures (including when chilling). Very accurate and super easy to use. Also, since they are all remote compared with the actual sensor, no worries about water doing anything. Besides, they are water proof (had one Fisher get blow-off all over it, wiped clean and continues to work properly).
Could you explain this device more? Model numbers, pictures? What is a thermowell? This seems much better to me than a probe or stick on.
Thanks

Old 11-04-2012, 01:29 AM   #8
Golddiggie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc5md View Post
Could you explain this device more? Model numbers, pictures? What is a thermowell? This seems much better to me than a probe or stick on.
Thanks
Shoot me a PM. Include which parts you want info on.

Fermenting
K1:

Old 11-04-2012, 01:58 AM   #9
BlindFaith
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I pitched it with the wort at 60 and the top off water at 65 so it should have been around 63 after aeration. I forgot to aerate before my initial SG reading and freaked out until I realized my goof up (noob mistake). It read fine after aeration. I got it in a homemade swamp cooler, wrapped in a black shirt with a water temp at around 65. Do you guys recommend adding ice to get the water down? This is a Midwest Irish Stout partial mash kit.

Old 11-04-2012, 01:05 AM   #10
Golddiggie
Recipes 

Swamp cooler can get iced. I wouldn't add ice to the wort. Unless the water was sanitary (filtered, distilled, or RO water) and frozen in a sanitized container.

I usually use cooler ice packs to regulate the temperature of the swamp cooler water. I also usually fill a couple of 24oz soda bottles and freeze them to also use. Between those, I can rotate to keep the temperatures low, or drop them, as needed. Luckily, this is less needed since I moved.

Fermenting
K1:

Quick Reply