The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Need some help picking an outdoor burner solution for brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2009, 10:44 PM   #1
jheim
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Need some help picking an outdoor burner solution for brewing

I am currently getting into brewing at home but cannot cook in a stock pot on my glass top stove. Rather than purchase a new stove, I was looking into getting an outdoor burner to boil the batch, possibly a turkey fryer. Can I get some opinions from the experienced brewers out there on this burner? Why would this be so much cheaper than burners for sale at local brewing stores? Would that be largely due to it being a specialty shop markup?

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...cmCat=10010100

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2009, 11:26 PM   #2
Brewin06111
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I have borrowed a turkey fryer like the one you have linked.. I would recommend purchasing the burner and pot separately. The pot that comes with the burner you linked only holds 7.5 gallons which is hard to do a full boil with. I would recommend a 40 quart pot so you could do full boils.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:07 AM   #3
Gammon N Beer
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Look at Craig's list. It is your friend.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:13 AM   #4
marubozo
I can has homebrew?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5366 Times on 5225 Posts
Likes Given: 222

Don't mess with that one or even a complete turkey setup unless you really needed a pot. Otherwise you can't go wrong with a Bayou Classic SQ-14. $49 bucks and shipped free. It's the burner I use and it's great. Simple, sturdy, and brings things up to a boil in no time.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:23 AM   #5
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 352 Times on 290 Posts
Likes Given: 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by marubozo View Post
Don't mess with that one or even a complete turkey setup unless you really needed a pot. Otherwise you can't go wrong with a Bayou Classic SQ-14. $49 bucks and shipped free. It's the burner I use and it's great. Simple, sturdy, and brings things up to a boil in no time.
+1. Works like a charm.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:41 AM   #6
UnderDogs
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm actually looking for the same thing right now.

Is this the burner you guys are talking about?
http://bayouclassicdepot.com/sp1_propane_jet_burner.htm

What does it mean "Add sentry temp control valve" at $24.99. What is that and do I need it?

Also what is a good kettle to get. I'm looking for a 40 qt (10 Gallon). I heard aluminum is not that bad to go with so I think that's what I'm looking for.

Old 11-11-2009, 01:10 AM   #7
marubozo
I can has homebrew?

Recipes 

Liked 5366 Times on 5225 Posts
Likes Given: 222

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderDogs View Post
I'm actually looking for the same thing right now.

Is this the burner you guys are talking about?
http://bayouclassicdepot.com/sp1_propane_jet_burner.htm

What does it mean "Add sentry temp control valve" at $24.99. What is that and do I need it?

Also what is a good kettle to get. I'm looking for a 40 qt (10 Gallon). I heard aluminum is not that bad to go with so I think that's what I'm looking for.
You don't need a high pressure jet burner unless you're doing larger batches. That's a different model by the same company (Bayou Classic) but not necessary if you're just doing 5 gallon batches. The main difference is I believe that one comes with a 20 PSI regulator and the SQ14 (square based model) is 10 PSI. Granted, you get a lot more BTU out of the high pressure burner, but far more than you actually need if you're doing around 7.5 gallon boils for a 5 gallon batch.

EDIT: I'd also note that the burner you linked to has absolutely no shielding for the wind. Even a moderate breeze can cause issues with keeping your flame going and/or significantly increase the amount of time to get to a boil, which also results in wasted propane. So, just something else to consider when looking at burners and stands. Of course, you can always rig up a wind shield fairly easily as well.

Last edited by marubozo; 11-11-2009 at 01:20 AM.

Old 11-11-2009, 01:24 AM   #8
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 26

found a bayou burner complete set up ( pot, stand ,burner, and propane tank) unused on craigslist for 50 bucks.. I am broke as a joke so it will flitter away!!!

BALDGUT BREWS

Old 11-11-2009, 01:30 AM   #9
Stinkonamonkey
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marubozo View Post
Of course, you can always rig up a wind shield fairly easily as well.
I've got the double burner version of the Bayou Classic stove shown above. I rigged up a coffee can cut in half as a wind shield. Works great.

Old 11-11-2009, 01:37 AM   #10
ajf

Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I agree with marubozo.
The SQ14 has 4 legs and a nice burner. I got mine from Home depot for a reasonable price. It has a 10 PSI regulator and handles 5g brews without any problems. I'm sure it could do a 10g batch as well, but I've never tried it.
As for the kettle, I used to use a 7g enamel pot, and it was a PITA. I switched to a 10g SS pot when the enamel started flaking. The 10g is so much better. Perhaps one day, I will have to confess to SWMBO that the enamel started flaking after it was encouraged by a few hefty taps with a hammer.
I'd be happy with either SS or aluminum providing that it is a heavy gauge pot. Don't buy a pot with paper thin walls and base. It may save you a few bucks when you buy it, but it will cost you more in the long run.

-a.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Quick Reply