The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Need some advice QUICK!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2012, 04:25 AM   #21
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 472 Times on 417 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmasterswife View Post
Oh my gosh! You make mead? That's so cool! My husband says its on his bucket list to try. Is it fairly easy to make?
Check out the info on the Got Mead? site and forums. In the process, it's damned simple to start. But where brewing beer is most of the work up front, making mead is spread out. I have a batch I started over a month ago that I need to check on, at some point. It could be done fermenting, but I'm not 100% sure yet. I also have batches I started last year that some of which will go to bottle soon. Others are about to start getting flavor additions. So mead is many months in process before it goes to bottle, where beer is typically only weeks from boil to bottle. I have some of my first batches of mead (made just over two years ago) that are getting really, really good now. The trick is, now, to keep making it so that I have a solid supply on hand. All while allowing some bottles to continue to age for more years.

IMO/IME, with mead, get great honey, treat it right (don't heat it above 100-110F), use the right yeasts (Lalvin strains), do the right processes (feed it nutrients to get the yeast to do it's job) and you'll get something great. I would just not expect it in the same time frame as beer. IMO/IME, if you can wait a year for up to a 14% mead, you're better off. up to 16%, 14-16 months. An 18% mead, don't drink any until it's been 18-24 months. Over 18%, you have longer to wait for the greatness to come out. It's part patience of a sait, and tenacity of a pitbull.

If you were in my area, I'd invite you both over to have a bottle of my 2010 vintage.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 06:21 AM   #22
TheCollector
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hello all!!! I am the Lucky husband of this lovely lady. I have descovered her plans mu-wa-ha-ha-ha!

Anyway, I'm SUPER excited to start brewing. I have done my homework and read "how to brew" by john Palmer, "extreme home brewing" by Sammy calgone, and "the everything home brewing book". And (dont burn me at the stake) I was an avid poster on realbeer.com forums for quite some time. Great other forum also.

I'm excited and can't wait for her to brew with me! I also can't wait to pass some homebrew out to friends! And goldie if you were anywhere close we would make a day trip out of it and take you up on that "vintage" :-)

Old 12-02-2012, 07:18 AM   #23
HopZombie99
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 59

First off its a very thoughtful gift. But to go the next step and research it online by creating an account and posting a question on a forum is awesome. Plus, since you chose your forum name, in a way you are calling your husband a brew master. Best... wife... ever....

I'd go with a basic starter kit to start . One fermenter, airlock, stick on thermometer, spoon, detergent, sterilizer, extract, specialty grains(optional, but recommended), hops (definitely recommended), yeast and carb drops are all you need for a trouble-free, worry-free first brew.

Old 12-02-2012, 02:27 PM   #24
dadshomebrewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmasterswife View Post
@gold thank you! I think the deluxe kit for $150 is what I'm going to get him. I noticed in the comments someone mentioned maybe getting a "wort chiller" I'm not sure what that is but does he need one?
you don't need a wort chiller for the first brew.

just get the kit to get him started, and then sit by and make a list of all the gazillion little things he decides he needs, for his birthday.

i promise, after the first batch he's going to have a very, very, long list of toys he absolutely, positively, has to have.

'Tis himself

In the fermenters: nada

In the bottle: nada

In the fridge(and the glass): nada

On Deck: anything i can think of

Old 12-02-2012, 02:34 PM   #25
dadshomebrewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 13

ok, along with all the toys, these

1. How To Brew, by John L. Palmer --> book #1, best one

for book #2 there will be many opinions, among them
2. The Complete Joy of Home Brewing by Charlie Papazian
3. Designing Great Beers by Ray Daniels
4. Brewing Classic Style by Jamil Zainasheff (i think).

Start with the palmer book. you can read it together, and you can make the brews together.

then, you can start working on recipes, and bottle label designs, and all the minute details of this wonderful obsession together.

it will be fun

'Tis himself

In the fermenters: nada

In the bottle: nada

In the fridge(and the glass): nada

On Deck: anything i can think of

Old 12-02-2012, 04:07 PM   #26
qzpm150
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I hope your ready for his new obsession. My girlfriend gets upset when the packages in the mail say homebrew on them and not Christmas presents. She also doesn't like when I stay up till 6am making Hopstache, but I'm sure she won't complain drinking it.

Old 12-02-2012, 04:26 PM   #27
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 472 Times on 417 Posts
Likes Given: 266

My opinions on the following. This is MY OPINION people, calm down. My comments are for the items quoted above them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadshomebrewing View Post
ok, along with all the toys, these

1. How To Brew, by John L. Palmer --> book #1, best one
Don't have it, read a bit online, it's ok.

Quote:
for book #2 there will be many opinions, among them
2. The Complete Joy of Home Brewing by Charlie Papazian
Don't waste your money, pretty much useless today. Especially with the above book.
Quote:
3. Designing Great Beers by Ray Daniels
GREAT book but limited in the styles it covers
Quote:
4. Brewing Classic Style by Jamil Zainasheff (i think).
Don't have it, so no opinion

Quote:
Start with the palmer book. you can read it together, and you can make the brews together.

then, you can start working on recipes, and bottle label designs, and all the minute details of this wonderful obsession together.

it will be fun
I would advise getting Yeast (by Chris White and Jamil) as #2. Even if he doesn't use everything in that book, it wouldn't be a bad idea to have it on hand. Something to read as he wants and start using the better methods outlined there. Also a subscription to BYO will prove very handy/useful. If you get deeper into it, join the AHA (American Homebrewers Association) which will also get you Zymurgy Magazine.

Happy brewing.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 12-24-2012, 08:40 AM   #28
TheCollector
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Love you wifey! My kit is here everyone!

Old 12-24-2012, 09:14 AM   #29
jcam91
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Good luck! And any questions don't hesitate to post

Brew on folks!

Old 12-24-2012, 08:33 PM   #30
TheCollector