Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Need help quickly - I am brewing now.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2012, 02:18 AM   #11
HBC
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 73

okay BEER gods: my 60-minutes of f*up'd mashing is complete! My gravity is 1.058.. my target was 1.069/IBU of 47... If I adjust to be more balanced.. this puts the IBU of about 47 and I can adjust the hops and get it dang close to that goal.

NOW, the big rookie question.. even if my gravity is reading (which it is) at 1.058-- does this really mean that my wort is fermentable? Meaning, can there be 2-batches of beer-- both at 1.058 wort and one being more fermentable than the other?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 02:21 AM   #12
HBC
Recipes 

I should mention as well, that the 'flavor' of the wort is rather dry... not as sweet as what I would have thunk. Therefore, probably can boost with the table sugar and not make it too sweet!

Old 12-06-2012, 05:04 AM   #13
HBC
Recipes 

Brew day is finished. I hope to be reporting much happiness in the near future with my new electric rig, and better thermometer readings (I also discovered that my thermometer shows rolling boil at 200-degrees).

My OG to report is 1.071 - that is due to the addition of about 3/4 lb of sugar at 5-min until end. Also, reporting pre-boil OG did not account for additional pre-boil water. I boiled the batch down to about 5.10 gallons.

That stated, I am pretty close to my Recipe OG. However, I still do not know for sure that I have good/true fermentable sugars in my wort.

I left the IBU per the recipe (about 47) - It is probably going to balance just fine.. but the ABV is the only concern. The recipe shows that the Final Gravity should end at 6.7% ABV. I would be happy at this point for a 4% ABV as long as it does not taste too sweet.

In my un-experience opinion, at time of yeast pitching- it does not seem to sweet to me. Therefore, I hope this will be a salvaged batch.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:41 PM   #14
mgortel
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 7

That's all you could do was run with it......you never k now, might be your best batch yet!

Let us know how it turns out.....in the New Year....

EVERYONE is entitled to my opinion!

Primary #1: Fat Tire Clone
Primary #2: Oatmeal Stout
Primary #3: Empty

Upcoming Brews:
English Pale Ale

Bottled:
Biermuncher Centennail Blonde

Old 12-06-2012, 02:34 PM   #15
HBC
Recipes 

Yes-- I will report back..I will probably keep this one in the fermenter until late January. Time to plan another brew and learn from my experiences.

Old 12-07-2012, 03:31 AM   #16
HBC
Recipes 

Well, 24-hrs have past....and I feared that the yeast was stalled due to no activity in the airlock... I noticed that I had a defective lid on my new fermenter bucket. It was not sealing and therefore no activity showing in the airlock. I tried to tape up the edges, but could not get a good seal. Therefore, I bought a new lid, sanitized, and installed it tonight on this bitch-batch-from hell. Murphy's law continues.

While I was sanitizing the new lid, I decided to take a gravity reading. Well, what do you know-- we are making beer. Tonight I am at 1.061 and had good krausen on top. After putting the lid on, the airlock went crazy. I know that I should realize that this beer will probably stall out before expected FG, but heck-- it tasted pretty darn good!

Old 12-07-2012, 03:46 AM   #17
freisste
Recipes 

Liked 297 Times on 248 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBC
NOW, the big rookie question.. even if my gravity is reading (which it is) at 1.058-- does this really mean that my wort is fermentable? Meaning, can there be 2-batches of beer-- both at 1.058 wort and one being more fermentable than the other?
You are reading the density of the beer. Sugar makes it more dense. Three beers could all have the same OG, say 1.060:

The first is unfermentable and FG is 1.060. Not likely in brewing, but I am sure there are some completely unfermentable sugars out there.

The second is an average fermentability. It ferments to 1.015. Great.

The third is especially fermentable. It ferments to 0.990 (it can be lower than 1.000 because the alcohol is less dense than water).

So to answer your question, yes they can be different. It is possible to denature mashing enzymes at high temp and not convert starches to fermentable sugars and get an OG that doesn't drop as much as expected. Not sure how long it takes to denature.

Old 12-07-2012, 03:52 AM   #18
HBC
Recipes 

Thanks, and I suppose that Is what I assumed too reading past comments.
I know there is a learning curve with making beer, and I enjoy the education. I just want to make 'better' beer-- and know I have to learn from my mistakes. It is just nice to know that I may have a salvage brew since there is great activity happening right now as we speak and 10% attenuation right out of the gate.

There is hope.
thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by freisste View Post
You are reading the density of the beer. Sugar makes it more dense. Three beers could all have the same OG, say 1.060:

The first is unfermentable and FG is 1.060. Not likely in brewing, but I am sure there are some completely unfermentable sugars out there.

The second is an average fermentability. It ferments to 1.015. Great.

The third is especially fermentable. It ferments to 0.990 (it can be lower than 1.000 because the alcohol is less dense than water).

So to answer your question, yes they can be different. It is possible to denature mashing enzymes at high temp and not convert starches to fermentable sugars and get an OG that doesn't drop as much as expected. Not sure how long it takes to denature.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:51 PM   #19
mgortel
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
... I noticed that I had a defective lid on my new fermenter bucket. It was not sealing and therefore no activity showing in the airlock.
Perfect example of why we cannot trust airlock activity to indicate fermentation or lack thereof......although, I do understand someones angst when there is no airlock activity when there should be.....

EVERYONE is entitled to my opinion!

Primary #1: Fat Tire Clone
Primary #2: Oatmeal Stout
Primary #3: Empty

Upcoming Brews:
English Pale Ale

Bottled:
Biermuncher Centennail Blonde

Old 12-07-2012, 01:44 PM   #20
HeavyKettleBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Many professional, and amateur brewers mash in for fifteen minutes. The belief is that it only takes that long for conversion. Hopefully, your temps maintained below 160 for that long. Not uncommon to raise temps to halt conversion. I do not know at what temp you are prone to extracting tannins though.

Quick Reply