Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Need help with an IPA on a budget

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2010, 05:48 AM   #1
spiffcow
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Need help with an IPA on a budget

So I've got a bunch of chinook, and I'm low on cash.. So here's what I was thinking for a PM recipe:

1 lb. Crystal 40L
3 lb. 2 Row
6 lb. Pilsner LME

1 oz Chinook (60 min)
1 oz Chinook (15 min)
1 oz Chinook (0 min)
2 oz Chinook (dry hop)

Safale S-04, ferment low (~65)

I'd like suggestions for how to improve it.. I don't mind buying maybe an oz of a different kind of hop, but that's about the extent of my budget. Also, I'm not really sure on the yeast choice.. I need to use dry yeast to keep the cost down, and I want it to flocculate, which S-05 doesn't.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2010, 07:01 AM   #2
Chris1272
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

It looks fine, personally I like the smell of cascade and would consider an ounce at 0min or dry hopping. If you have it available 1 pound of wheat DME would add a nice balance, or if looking for a bit more of a bite consider a bit of rye in the grain bill.

Old 10-01-2010, 07:29 AM   #3
DrinkinSurfer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 13

If you are low on cash and your set up can handle more grain you can swap out some LME for some more 2-row. That can help save a bit. With a 5 gallon pot I have been able to mash 7 lbs of grain. Thats what I do for budget brews anyway. I think what you got going on in your recipe will give you good results, you can almost never go wrong with cascade as a dry hop, but money talks.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:56 AM   #4
MVKTR2
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 18

At a glance the recipe looks fine. As for the yeast, you'll come out better ie with a cleaner brew using Nottingham dry yeast over S-04 which can get estery. It's super flocculant and cheaper than S-04! Fantastically clean yeast when temps are kept low.

You can throw in a cup or 2 of oatmeal into your mini-mash for body, & 4 oz. Special Roast or 4-6 oz of Victory to give the malt bill some complexity. Perhaps use 6 oz. Crystal 120 & 6 oz Crystal 40 for more complexity. Just throwing these out as ideas plus I'm a huge fan of 4-6 oz. of Victory/Biscuit malt in my IPA/APAs.

Schlante & Good Luck,
Phillip

"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Old 10-01-2010, 12:25 PM   #5
devilishprune
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I like the idea of using a lot of chinooks. I had an Arrogant Bastard the other day for research purposes.

I have a similiar recipe planned, combining chinook with nugget hops. I second adding a little complexity to the grain bill though, maybe some munich subbed for 2 row?

Old 10-01-2010, 05:11 PM   #6
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'd cut back on the crystal and swap out S-04 (use notty like MVKTR2 said), since both of these things are going to take away from your hops. If you can cut out more of the LME for more grains, def do that too.

Quick Reply