Need help with Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aeviaanah

Reaction score
I went to a local beer brewing store and told them I was wanting to make a hefeweizen. I want a hefe on the sweeter side similar to Widmers. The guy didn't seem to confident but he was looking at some reference on his computer. I probably should of brought in a recipe but it was a spur the moment deal. These are the ingredients he set me up with for a 1gal batch.

1lb white wheat
.75lb two row nw pale malt
2oz of fuggle hops- I was directed to use .1oz

I decided to possibly try adding some apricot extract brewcraft brand. If not recommended let me know...

I bought a grain bag since I'm only doing a one gallon batch. I've brewed an ipa from Brooklyn brew shop and have that as the only brewing experience. Should I follow a similar recipe of hefe? Can anyone help me out with temps, hop and extract additions, boil times, fermentation and bottling times and temps?

The guy forgot to grab the yeast he recommended. I need to go back down there and grab a strain, he recommended a wyeast liquid, not sure of strain. What should I grab? I appreciate the help in advance.
I'm also not sure how to utilize grain bag.

I went ahead and bought two ounces of tetnanger hops as well as some munich malt. I decided to go with a dry yeast since im doing such a small batch....Its called Safbrew WB-06. I hope someone chines in as I am brewing tomorrow.

I plan on using tetnanger hops beginning of boil and fuggle for aroma at last 20 minutes.

I haven't used this yeast before but from what I just read it is more subtle than a traditional hef yeast. The yeast should be fine if you're looking at something like Widmer which is more of an American Wheat that a true hef. A more traditional hef yeast would be WY 3068. This yeast will add more banana or clove characteristics depending on the temp you ferment at.

You should be fine. Report back and let us know how it turns out.

WhiteLabs WLP320 is a great American Wheat yeast. Ferments clean with very little if none of the flavors you get with traditional Hefe yeast. I read somewhere that is the same strain that Widmer uses. Ferment on the low end of the temp range. Also, if you can't find 320, Kolsch yeast works very well for an American style Wheat beer. Ive had good results with WLP029.

Looks good actually, I would have chosen a wheat yeast and grabbed some rice hulks. The grains are fine for a gallon. How long for the hops I use 1 oz for 60 minutes on 3.5 gallons, if not your going way high on the ibu for a weizen.

I tried my IPA last night and it was amazing! Perfect carbonation and head. Check out the Beersmith log below. Let me know If Im on the right track. Cant figure out why my final bottling volume is .66 gal. This is my first time using beersmith. Hows the hop schedule look? Im liking what I see in the style guide comparison

American Wheat
Type: All Grain Date: 7/21/2012
Batch Size (fermenter): 1.06 gal Brewer: Steve
Boil Size: 1.25 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Pot ( 2 Gal/7.6 L) - Extract
End of Boil Volume 1.11 gal Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Final Bottling Volume: 0.66 gal Est Mash Efficiency 89.0 %
Fermentation: Ale, Single Stage Taste Rating(out of 50): 30.0
Taste Notes:

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
1.25 gal Water
1 lbs White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 2 50.0 %
12.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 3 37.5 %
4.0 oz Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 4 12.5 %
0.10 oz Tettnang [6.00 %] - Boil 50.0 min Hop 5 8.0 IBUs
0.10 oz Tettnang [6.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 6 6.4 IBUs
0.20 oz Fuggles [3.60 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 7 5.0 IBUs
0.03 oz Orange Peel, Sweet (Boil 5.0 mins) Spice 8 -
1.0 pkg Safbrew Wheat (DCL/Fermentis #WB-06) [50.28 ml] Yeast 9 -
0.50 oz Apricot Extract (Bottling 5.0 mins) Flavor 10 -

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.051 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.015 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.8 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.7 %
Bitterness: 19.4 IBUs Calories: 151.6 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 4.4 SRM

Mash Profile
Mash Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 2 lbs
Sparge Water: 0.74 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F Tun Temperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.20

Mash Steps
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Mash In Add 3.00 qt of water at 161.7 F 152.0 F 60 min
Sparge Step: Batch sparge with 2 steps (0.11gal, 0.63gal) of 168.0 F water
Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).

Carbonation and Storage
Carbonation Type: Bottle Volumes of CO2: 2.3
Pressure/Weight: 0.52 oz Carbonation Used: Bottle with 0.52 oz Corn Sugar
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 70.0 F Age for: 30.00 days
Fermentation: Ale, Single Stage Storage Temperature: 65.0 F

Latest posts

Back