Need HELP with Guinness Clone recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drhall23

Reaction score
Can someone break this reciped into a step by step process for me?
I am new to homebrewing and am used to recipes that tell me what to do in every step.
My guinness is already soured and ready to go.
Thanks.

Ingredients:
9 lbs Brit pale ale
1 lb flaked barley
18 oz roast barley
12 oz carapils
1.5 oz No. Brewer hops (60 min)
1 oz East Kent Goldings hops (60 min)

First, get the "tang" the way Guinness does: Sour about 24 oz (2 bottles) of stout (pref. Guinness) by leaving it out in a bowl a week or more & then freezing it.
While brewing, thaw the sour stout & heat it to 180-190 F for 20 min.
Mash-in at 155F, hold for 1 hour, boil 1 hour & 15 minutes.
At end boil, add the sour stout.
At 70F, pitch 2 packs of Wyeast #1084.
A month or so of cold lagering (<40F) after bottling or kegging will help.
A certified beer judge could not tell this from bottled Guinness.

From what I recall out of Designing Great Beers, Guinness actually sours a percentage of the malt and uses only 3% character malts and 97% pale. But, if a judge can't tell the difference, why make changes?

Can someone break this reciped into a step by step process for me?
I am new to homebrewing and am used to recipes that tell me what to do in every step.

It already looks pretty well broken down to me. You say you are new to homebrewing. Do you understand this is an all-grain recipe?

It already looks pretty well broken down to me. You say you are new to homebrewing. Do you understand this is an all-grain recipe?

That is part I guess I need help understanding. The first 3 batches (5 gallons) I have made were Brewer's Best box kits where everything is laid out step by step.
I have already bought all the ingredients and have soured my Guinness...I am afraid that I am going to waste all these ingredients if I am unable to do this.

I reached out to my lhbs, but they just confused me even more.

I am assuming this is a 5 gallon recipe (seems to be standard home batch size?).

I guess maybe the part I am confused on is the "mash in" and what to do with the 9lbs of Brit Pale Ale....

Great thread, since i am a huge fan of Guiness. I would suggest you take a look here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/ Keep us posted how your brew turns out. I have the irsih stout in my second stage fermenter right now.

Cheers:mug:

Thanks for the link. Looking at the pics and such, I look like I may be out my league with this recipe.....I need to purchase a lot more equipment. Maybe I should stick to buying my Guinness!:mad:

I would recomend going back and getting 7-8 lbs of Pale Malt Extract and a bag to steep your grains. I would call the 9 lbs of "British Pale Ale" (I am assuming this is 2 row grain) a loss. I would then brew it like the kits you have previously done.

1. Bring 2.5-3 Gallons of of water to 150-165 and steep the 1 lb flaked barley, 18 oz roast barley, 12 oz carapils in the grain bag for 20 minutes.
2. Remove Grains and bring to boil.
3. Add Malt Extract and return to boil
4. Add both hops and boil for 60 minutes.
5 Cool, pitch yeast and follow the same directions you did for your previous brews.

Mashing is done when brewing with All Grain, but requires more equipment and an additional process. I would recomend sticking with Extracts until you feel you have it down.

You are jumping into the deep end my friend...I love it :rockin:

Check out brew in a bag and Death Brewer's Easy Partial Mash threads. Then look at Palmer's free online version of How to Brew.

If you go partial mash (PM), you could replace some of the base malt with DME (grain to extract conversion), multiplying the pounds of grain needed by .7 is a pretty easy way to convert. Hold out 3-4 lbs to mash with (you can do more) and sub DME for the remainder.

Good luck and...

Welcome to your new obsession :mug:

I would recomend going back and getting 7-8 lbs of Pale Malt Extract and a bag to steep your grains. I would call the 9 lbs of "British Pale Ale" (I am assuming this is 2 row grain) a loss. I would then brew it like the kits you have previously done.

1. Bring 2.5-3 Gallons of of water to 150-165 and steep the 1 lb flaked barley, 18 oz roast barley, 12 oz carapils in the grain bag for 20 minutes.
2. Remove Grains and bring to boil.
3. Add Malt Extract and return to boil
4. Add both hops and boil for 60 minutes.
5 Cool, pitch yeast and follow the same directions you did for your previous brews.

Mashing is done when brewing with All Grain, but requires more equipment and an additional process. I would recomend sticking with Extracts until you feel you have it down.

thanks so much for input. I will probably do this as you outlined. Can I still use the soured Guinness?

No need to call the base malt a loss...even if it's a bit much to take in right now, you will be doing partial mashes in no time!!! Just save it in a cool, dry place. Mason jars, a sealed bucket (you can get 2-3 gal HDPE buckets free from the bakery departments of most major grocery stores, just call ahead in the morning and ask if they will save them for you), or if you have a vaccuum sealer that is the best bet.

The flaked barley HAS to be mashed. It is unmalted and has no enzymes of its own to convert the starches to sugar. You could leave it out, but its a pretty big part of this recipe. Read DeathBrewer's thread, look at the pics, it is EASY and you will have made a great leap forward in your brewing. You would use a few pounds of that pale malt you already bought and the enzymes in that would convert the starch in the flaked barley. You can buy a 5gal paint strainer for a couple of bucks from any hardware store that will work just fine. I use one every brew day to filter the break material and hops from my brews before I pitch. You would then make up the rest of the fermentables with DME or LME. Check this and this out...

Good Brewing to ya' :mug:

Welcome aboard but I'm warning you:

If you keep this hobby up for any length of time you will start to think of Guiness as weak as any BMC.

I think it happens to all of us.

You have been warned.:mug:

Thanks for the link. Looking at the pics and such, I look like I may be out my league with this recipe.....I need to purchase a lot more equipment. Maybe I should stick to buying my Guinness!:mad:

Have you ever tried a Coopers Aussy Stout from their extract kit. It is very good and easy to make with no special equipment. Since I started making it I'm not as fond of Guinness as I used to be.

Latest posts

Back