Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Need help diagnosing my beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2008, 10:14 PM   #1
DD2000GT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Need help diagnosing my beer

A few weeks ago I noticed a white-ish ring around the insides of the bottles of a Williams Holiday Ale kit I brewed on 11/6. My first though was a dreaded infection even though I have never had one before in 10 years of brewing and I am religous on sanitation. Here is a thread I posted with pics:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/firs...fection-89769/

So - I keg about 6 Grolsh flip top bottles and keg the rest. That way I can sample the bottles to let me know when to refridgerate the keg. I have been monitoring my keg pressure with a gauge to let me know how carbonation is going and the last few days the pressure has risen unusually quick. I normally see anywhere between 15-25 psi (I prime my kegs to conserve the CO2 bottle) and this batch has jumped to 35 psi and still rising.

I am guessing I do have an infection and it is eating the non-fermentable sugars - any thoughts? Weird thing was I tried a bottle a about a week ago and it seemed fine(?) OG was 1.060 and FG was 1.016, and this batch used honey if it matters.

I would appreciate any thoughts on what is going on.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2008, 10:18 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2774 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3486

Hey you, did you ever taste the Grolsh's? Or oopen one ot see if they gush...if they do then probably you are right about what's happenning in the keg.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-30-2008, 10:27 PM   #3
WBC

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Time will tell. I would not let that keg pressure get too high as you will over carbonate. The Grolsch bottles are a good indicator of what is in the keg so if they turn into gushers then you most likely have a bug in the beer.

Cheers,
WBC

Fermentor 1: Bill's House Ale II, Fermentor 2: German Helles, Fermentor 3: Bill's Schworzbier (Black Bier)
Tap 1: Bill's House Ale II, Tap 2: German Hefewizen, Tap 3: Nut Brown Ale
Future Brews: Stone IPA Clone, Blonde Ale, Budvar Clone, Newcastle Clone
New toy: Blichmann 27 gallon fermentor

“If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging”

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment”

Old 11-30-2008, 11:31 PM   #4
DD2000GT
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Hey you, did you ever taste the Grolsh's? Or oopen one ot see if they gush...if they do then probably you are right about what's happenning in the keg.
Yes - it was in my original post :-)

The Grolsh bottle tasted fine with no odd off flavors or overcarbonation when I tried it last week (but was still pretty green) - but this jump in keg pressure has only happened within the past few days.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:27 AM   #5
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'm wondering if you kicked off some additional fermentation. Ending at 1.016 with honey in a recipe is suspect to me. Especially if your OG was 1.060.

Old 12-01-2008, 01:08 AM   #6
Kauai_Kahuna
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I have to agree, depending on the amount of honey you had, it would extend the beer fermentation time, and also lower the FG and make it much drier. Is it possible that the beer is just slowly finishing up the honey and becoming more of a braggot? By racking early (Needed the large carboy) I have had some braggots extend their fermentation time up to over month.

---
In Primary: Belgium Chimay clones.
In Secondary: Braggot, pale ale, end of the world white.
Conditioning: Mead, Cider, braggot, Belgium Wheat.
On Tap: Clones, Chimay Blue, Red, Porter, malted cider.
Bottles: Far, far, too many to list.

Old 12-01-2008, 04:30 AM   #7
DD2000GT
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnevoodoo View Post
I'm wondering if you kicked off some additional fermentation. Ending at 1.016 with honey in a recipe is suspect to me. Especially if your OG was 1.060.
I have never used honey before - so that is very possible. However, a FG of 1.016 from an OG of 1.060 is about 73% attenuation - which is fairly high for the liquid yeast I used, so I did not think much of it.

I guess I will try anoth tomorrow and make sure there is no gushing or sour taste.

Quick Reply