Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Need Hefeweitzen Help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2012, 11:39 PM   #1
fosgate
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Need Hefeweitzen Help

I'm a 39yr old non traditional student going to college for Business Management and Public Health. Long story but I'm required to take Science of Brewery and 50% of my grade is going to be based on what my lab partner and I whip up and tasters from brewers across the state are going to judge our beers. We are allowed to either design our own from scratch or pick out a beer in production and make any attempt to mimic them or make the recipe if we can find one.

I want to make my first true love of beer. I was stationed in Germany near Baumholder for a couple years and my main squeeze was Maisels Hefeweitzen Original. The closest I have been able to find in the states is Erdinger Hefeweitzen. But anyway I need to try to find the best recipe I can that closely mimics this so I can make it. I also have to find the proper glass and bottles when it comes to pouring the Hefeweitzen. I really don't want to embarrass the style or myself by delivering a substandard product to the judges for this.

Can anyone help with recipe, ingredients and where to find as well as bottles and glasses?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2012, 12:22 AM   #2
woody34
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 11 Posts

Northern brewer has a bavarian hefeweizen that I just brewed. I've been drinking it for a few days and love it. I don't have anything to compare it too though. Find a glass that allows you to place the bottle in it upside down so you can let go of the bottle and let gravity do the pouring for you. A 22 ounce bottle and some cooresponding hefe glasses should please the judges.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:28 AM   #3
Mutilated1
Beer Drenched Executioner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 1

that kind of beer is actually easy to make, you need about 5.5# dme ( wheat spray extract ), 1/2oz perle@60 minutes, and get Hefewizen type yeast or at least wheat beer yeast and you're set, it takes maybe 10-11 days

Old 08-24-2012, 03:50 AM   #4
Loodachris
12th man loud and proud!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

My wife is from Germany and every 2 years we go visit her family and same like you all I drink is Maisels since we can't get that here. IMO Franziskaner is much closer to Maisels then Erdinger and there are so many clone recipes out there for it as well. Maybe look that up and go from there?

Old 08-24-2012, 01:07 PM   #5
fosgate
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Thanks for the quick responses. I agree, the glasses and bottle are just as important as the drink itself. I have tried to find good hefeweizen since I got out of the military in 95 and Erdinger was the closest I could find that even came close. All the others I have found are not even close but the selection is very poor. I think finding a good copy of Franziskaner may be the way to go. One benefit I have is the access to do this in a lab and we have the water mineral mixes for many of the places in Germany so I'm hoping I can get this very close.

Old 08-24-2012, 02:49 PM   #6
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 397 Times on 315 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Are you an extract or all grain brewer?

I can give you an A+ traditional bavarian hefeweizen recipe that is incredibly easy to brew. I would almost urge you to NOT try to make a clone. Clone beer making is often trial and error, and your first attempt to clone a particular commercial example likely will not taste like the commercial example.

I LOVEEE Hefewiezens because the basic recipe produces a fresh, clean, easily-repeatable beer.

Let me know if you are extract or all-grain, and I'll give you a can't miss recipe that will likely be much better than any clone attempt.

Primary #1 - Oktoberfest
Primary #2 - Chamomile Honey Wheat
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Coffee Vanilla Stout
Keg #2 - Fall of the Ukraine Baltic Porter (lagering in keg)
Keg #3 - EMPTY!
Bottled - NONE!

Old 08-24-2012, 02:56 PM   #7
Weeezle007
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Have you tried Sierra Nevadas Kellerwies? My favorite by far! I read in a post on this forum (srry no link..but sure you could search for it) that they use an OPEN fermentation style that promotes high esters for a more pronounced flavor. Its fantastic..and I plan on trying this next batch I brew.

By the way..I used the Extract Kit from Northern B. as well, and it was flawless with the Wyeast.

Old 08-24-2012, 06:37 PM   #8
New Brew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hefeweizens are also the reason I got into homebrewing, after discovering them the first time I visited Germany. They are easier to find here in the states these days, but they're also a lot of fun to brew (and they really are best when fresh).

As said above, brewing them w/ extract is pretty straightforward: You just need enough wheat malt extract (which is already 50% wheat, 50% barley) to get you to ~5.0% ABV, and 0.5-1.0 oz of a German noble hop like Hellertau. The fermentation is what really makes a Hefe. You need a Hefeweizen specific yeast strain (like WYeast 3068, 3056, or 3638), and a controlled fermentation temp in the low 60's (*F).

If you want to amuse yourself for several hours, check out the monster thread on Hefe's from The Northern Brewer's Forums (I hope crossposting isn't a problem here):
http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?t=40751

-NB

Old 08-24-2012, 07:15 PM   #9
sweed
Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I used the Simple Hefeweizen recipe in the database here. Turned out excellent, and was finished within a week at my family vacation. Make sure its in the bottles at least 3-4 weeks before judging. It's very easy, and very good! Good Luck and sounds like a fun class.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:21 PM   #10
billl
Recipes 

Liked 262 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 7

This is a nice straight-forward style and should make a good first brew.

General tips:

Buy a kit or ingredients from a "high volume" store so you know it is fresh. Don't pick up a dusty can from the corner of the brewshop.
Make sure you get a Hefe yeast.
Research a way to control temperatures. A "swamp cooler" is the cheapest/easiest route. At low 60's temps, hefe yeast will be clean with a mild spice background. If you let the temps get away from you, you can end up with a strong banana taste.

Quick Reply