Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Need brewing advice....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2009, 12:13 AM   #1
r3dn3ckstyl3z
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default Need brewing advice....

Ok so here's the deal...... I just took a look at my carboy in the secondary. the beer is very clear and it looks like a good bit of the yeast has fallen out of suspension. It seemed kind of early. Just to be sure i took a gravity reading.... I'm already at my est. final gravity.... So, do i go ahead and bottle and let it carbonate and age in bottles or do i leave it in the secondary for a few more days?????

Primary: Air
Secondary:Air
Bottle Conditioning:Imperial Stout

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2009, 12:16 AM   #2
TipsyDragon
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts

age for 2 weeks minimum then bottle. just because there are no bubbles dosn't necessarily mean fermentation is over.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:17 AM   #3
craven_morhead
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Need more info. How long was it in the primary? How about the secondary? What kind of beer is it? Etc.

Primary: Cascade/Amarillo IPA

Old 07-09-2009, 12:17 AM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4959 Times on 3590 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3dn3ckstyl3z View Post
Ok so here's the deal...... I just took a look at my carboy in the secondary. the beer is very clear and it looks like a good bit of the yeast has fallen out of suspension. It seemed kind of early. Just to be sure i took a gravity reading.... I'm already at my est. final gravity.... So, do i go ahead and bottle and let it carbonate and age in bottles or do i leave it in the secondary for a few more days?????
Well, you should have been at the FG before you racked to secondary. So, it's good that it made it there now. Sometimes racking to the carboy before you've reached FG can stall the fermentation permanently, so it's good to get to the FG before you take it off the main yeast cake.

The purpose of "secondary" is to clear and condition the beer. This is called the "bright tank" in breweries.

I don't use secondaries very often, but when I do, I leave the beer there for at least a couple of weeks. Otherwise, what's the point? Just to move it for the sake of moving it would be a big PITA if it wasn't going to spend some time there conditioning. I usually only use a secondary if I'm dryhopping or adding something after primary.

Anyway, if it's been less than 2 weeks in the carboy, I'd leave it alone. Especially since it just reached FG- even though it's seemingly pretty clear, more stuff will flocculate out after the fermentation is finished.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 07-09-2009, 12:18 AM   #5
dwarven_stout
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TipsyDragon View Post
age for 2 weeks minimum then bottle. just because there are no bubbles dosn't necessarily mean fermentation is over.
Unlike having a steady hydro reading over 3 days, which does mean that fermentation is over.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:19 AM   #6
r3dn3ckstyl3z
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

primary for about 3 weeks...... secondary for about a week..... Imperial Stout with Brown sugar...... the LHBS guy did tell me that the yeast that i used would have less of a fermentation time than the typical yeast used in the recipe..... he was out of the yeast called for in the recipe.....

Old 07-09-2009, 12:21 AM   #7
r3dn3ckstyl3z
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

ok i'll leave it in for a while longer and keep checking gravity over the next few days......

Quick Reply