Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Need advice on Yeast Starter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2012, 04:43 PM   #1
KavDaven
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Need advice on Yeast Starter

I was going to brew up a NB Big Honkin' Stout this weekend but I was intimidated by the instructions calling for a starter using Wyeast NW Ale. So, I just bought two smack packs instead of one. I figure two smack packs should work.

In the meantime, I've been sifting through the bottomless cask of knowledge on yeast starters. Looks easy enough.

I think I'll put off the Stout until the following weekend, waiting on the 2nd smack pack anyway. This weekend I'll brew up the NB Cream Ale instead.

Here's where I need advice. I'm thinking about attempting the yeast starter on the Cream Ale now that I've read enough on the subject to be dangerous. BUT... Wyeast states that their liquid yeast is enough for 5 gallon batches of small to medium brews. So, if I was able to do a starter for the little brew of a Cream Ale wouldn't I end up over pitching? Is over pitching bad?

And, I'm not buying an erlenmyer flask and stir plate just yet. So, I thought I'd use a 1/2 Gallon Growler and foil using the walk by and stir method. That should give OK results right?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2012, 04:57 PM   #2
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 488 Times on 452 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Go to yeastcalc.com, plug in the numbers and you'll see what the starter size should be.

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 04-10-2012, 05:04 PM   #3
BrewerinBR
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I do starters all the time in growlers with foil and walk by and shake. Use the same method for harvesting yeast.

I seek not a hobby to fill my time; I seek a passion to fill my life!

Basement Brew Room Build:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/base...-house-247971/

"Shame on the man of cultivated taste who permits refinement to develop into fastidiousness that unfits him for doing the rough work of a workaday world." -Theodore Roosevelt

Old 04-10-2012, 05:13 PM   #4
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Liked 334 Times on 246 Posts
Likes Given: 231

You are going to have a hard time over pitching beer as a homebrewer. Most homebrewed beer is underpitched - even severely so.

As for starters being intimidating, relax. Starters are stupidly easy - way easier than making beer.

Boil 1/2 cup of DME in 2 cups of water for ten minutes. Cool and pitch the yeast. Shake it when you think about it.

Voila, a starter.

You'll see pics of cool, chemistry lab type beakers for starters. I'm sure that they are great, and I want one... but look what I have used for my last two starters - both of which gave me explosive fermentations.

Yep, that is a sanitized grocery store tea jug. Seriously, starters are THAT easy.

Fermenting: nothing
Lagering: Swarthy Satyr (traditional bock)
Bottled: Royal Goblin (Hoppy Hobgoblin rendition), Treasure Type "T" (oatmeal toffee stout), Enchantress (big Irish red ale), Frostfire (Oktoberfest), Thundersmoke brown ale

Old 04-10-2012, 05:25 PM   #5
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 57

A good trade off between size and results is a 2L starter. One smack pack in 2L gives about 50 million cells per Liter which gives you about a 1.1 doubling factor. A smaller 1L starter will give you about a .5 doubling factor.

If you go with a plastic milk jug setup just run (2) 2L starters, one for each smack pack, that will yield about 450 billion cells which should be plenty for a medium gravity starter.

Use 200 gr of DME to make a 2L starter...the gravity should be about 1.030

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 04-10-2012, 06:44 PM   #6
gmcastil
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

A Wyeast smack pack or a White Labs yeast vial each contain about 100 billion cells. Both companies claim that is sufficient and both companies are wrong. Proper pitching rates are really important to making quality brew and it's really easy to make starters. When I got started brewing, I found the following article really helpful:

http://www.mrmalty.com/pitching.php

Once you've read that, then use the calculator that site provides in order to calculate how big of a starter you need.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:21 PM   #7
LiquidFlame
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 14 Posts

+1 on the Mr Malty, just use that and your set, tells you everything you need to know.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:33 PM   #8
dbhokie
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

The only reason it seems to get more complicated is because of efficiency in culturing up cell counts.

Most standard gravity beers, won't even require too awful much of a starter, when you get into really high gravity and you are making do with one culture of yeast cells, and you have to start stepping starters (make starter, crash, decant, make bigger starter, repeat) in order to get to your pitching cell counts, that is when you see people using those beakers and such.

Yeasties love Oxygen, my first three starters I just shook them every time I thought about it randomly, it worked well, then I made a stir plate using some great instructions here, or kind of using them. That was just to prevent me from having to go through quite as many steps because it is just about as much more effective than shaking as shaking is than letting sit still.

Most programs BeerSmith, Mr Malty, Jamil's yeast calculator all well tell you about how many cells you need, and about what size starter you need, most of them ask how you will be oxygenating, and shaking works just fine.

Abbey Ale #2
Rye Imperial Pale Ale
Primary
20 Gallons of Apple Cider
Secondary
Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter
Conditioning (Bottle)
---So Sad

Old 04-10-2012, 09:35 PM   #9
KavDaven
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhokie View Post
Yeasties love Oxygen, my first three starters I just shook them every time I thought about it randomly, it worked well, then I made a stir plate using some great instructions here, or kind of using them. That was just to prevent me from having to go through quite as many steps because it is just about as much more effective than shaking as shaking is than letting sit still.
You made a stir plate? How?

@homebrewdad - You just reminded me to keep it simple. Thank you.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:43 PM   #10
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Liked 334 Times on 246 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Quote:
Originally Posted by KavDaven View Post
@homebrewdad - You just reminded me to keep it simple. Thank you.
No worries. I love get detailed on tasks... but to start with, just figure out the basics.

Fermenting: nothing
Lagering: Swarthy Satyr (traditional bock)
Bottled: Royal Goblin (Hoppy Hobgoblin rendition), Treasure Type "T" (oatmeal toffee stout), Enchantress (big Irish red ale), Frostfire (Oktoberfest), Thundersmoke brown ale

Quick Reply