Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Need advice on a beginner kit..

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2012, 03:10 AM   #1
yuppicide
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Need advice on a beginner kit..

Someone I know has a Mr. Beer kit. He enjoys it and beer. I'd like to ween him off the nipple and get him into real brewing.

Could someone recommend me the best kit to buy for a good price? I'm in New Jersey. There's a store about an hour from me that has a kit for $140. I'm not sure I want to spend that much. It's a deluxe kit in a box. I'm not sure of everything it came with, but he said I'd need a pot also, so then I'm up to $160.

This place is near me also.. is this any good?

https://www.brewapp.com/shop/product...cat=250&page=1

I don't want to give a gift and then have him need 8 million other things.. sure I understand he'll need actual beer ingredients. Fine he can get them. I'll get a pot.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 03:49 AM   #2
GilSwillBasementBrews
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 148 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Wow that seems expensive. The LHBS to me in PA has astarter kit for 65$
http://www.keystonehomebrew.com/shop...ebec87d52205aa

Everything but ingredients and pot.

Beer Plus Science = .....Good!!!!! By: Adam Savage

Old 12-12-2012, 10:59 AM   #3
zeg
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 137

It's hard to say whether $140 is a fair price or not without knowing the contents. If it's like this one (http://www.midwestsupplies.com/brewi...s-carboys.html), then it might be a good deal. The $70 one you linked is certainly fine. You definitely want a hydrometer test jar in addition to that, though.

Unless shopping for myself, I'd probably get the $70 one. The additional equipment in the more expensive kits may or may not be useful, depending on the types of beers and methods that the brewer adopts. Even for myself, I'd probably start with the minimal kit and add exactly what I wanted. (In my case, I didn't start with a kit at all, actually.)

Old 12-12-2012, 11:08 AM   #4
Paulgs3
Yeast Buddy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I'm also piecing together a kit for a newbie. I don't like the inclusion of secondaries, even more so two secondaries that are glass carboys. A lot of kits seem to come that way.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:45 AM   #5
blackrockbrewer
Recipes 

Not for nothing look around on the internet. Northern Brewer is like one stop shopping and you could get up and going for way less than $140. For that price you can get the beginner's set up, a pot and two beer kits.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:50 AM   #6
RIC0
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Check around at some of your larger party stores/liquor stores. A couple in KY carry brewing supplies and kits.

I started out with the basic Brewers Best kit and it was like $75

Stainless 40qt pot was $35 at walmart

Ingredient kit can be between $30 and $50 depending on what you want to brew.

This is enough for a batch of beer in say 6-8 weeks....

*** Possum Trot Brewery ***

Beer Primary - Butthead Belgian
Beer Secondary - Belgian Tripel

Bottled - Big Breakfast Stout - Belgian IPA - Butthead Belgian White - Redneck Red - Moose Drool - Dirty Dubbel

Mead Primary - Nuttin
Bottled - Strawberry Trainwreck - Orange Spice - Blueberry Trainwreck

Old 12-12-2012, 12:13 PM   #7
BrewKid
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Northern Brewer small batch kit Vs. Mr. Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIC0 View Post
I started out with the basic Brewers Best kit and it was like $75
That is a very good question. I have been brewing now for 3 months and just did my first all grain batch this week. So far so good.

But now I'm looking to get my brother a beer kit to get him started. Though he lives in Houston so I need something he can take back with him on the plane.

So my question is which is small enough to fit on the plane but will still get him hooked into home brewing.

We all know what Mr. Beer has to offer. Now here is the link for Northern Brewers small batch kit.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/b...BATCHKit_Slide

Old 12-12-2012, 01:42 PM   #8
zeg
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulgs3 View Post
I'm also piecing together a kit for a newbie. I don't like the inclusion of secondaries, even more so two secondaries that are glass carboys. A lot of kits seem to come that way.
I agree about glass, but if it's what you want (and it's what the kit has), then the price is about right. If it is just the buckets, it's a bad deal.

Also, there's nothing magical about a carboy or better bottle that makes it a "secondary." A bucket and two carboys can just as well be three primaries.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:03 PM   #9
BansheeRider
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuppicide View Post
Someone I know has a Mr. Beer kit. He enjoys it and beer. I'd like to ween him off the nipple and get him into real brewing.

Could someone recommend me the best kit to buy for a good price? I'm in New Jersey. There's a store about an hour from me that has a kit for $140. I'm not sure I want to spend that much. It's a deluxe kit in a box. I'm not sure of everything it came with, but he said I'd need a pot also, so then I'm up to $160.

This place is near me also.. is this any good?

https://www.brewapp.com/shop/product...cat=250&page=1

I don't want to give a gift and then have him need 8 million other things.. sure I understand he'll need actual beer ingredients. Fine he can get them. I'll get a pot.
I am a newbie and looking for a kit as well. I am currently brewing with my first Mr. Beer kit and looking to upgrade for my next batch. I found what appears to be a good price for a beginners kit at MidWest Supplies.......

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/brewi...-plus-kit.html

This includes everything you need, including a pot, ingredients for your first brew, and bottles. I am not sure how much shipping would be though. Maybe call them and ask about possible free shipping.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:38 PM   #10
BrewKid
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BansheeRider View Post
I found what appears to be a good price for a beginners kit at MidWest Supplies.......

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/brewi...-plus-kit.html

This includes everything you need, including a pot, ingredients for your first brew, and bottles.
This looks like a very nice kit. Since it also includes a 5 gallon kettle and even bottles. For the price, it seems very reasonable. Then again it just depends on what equipment you already have. If you just have a Mr. Beer kit then this would be quite the upgrade. My first equipment kit was the Brewers Best kit which I bought from my LHBS for $65. But then I had to buy an 8 gallon kettle for $80 at walmart. Beer kits from Brewers Best are $45 at least. So my total was $190. Which doesn't include bottles.

This kit seems like a steal.

Quick Reply