Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > need advice on 90min dogfish clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2008, 03:25 AM   #11
bluestreakm3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

ok... quick question. ready to bottle the 90 min. took gravity on fri (1.020) but never had a chance to bottle. broke our hydrometer and bought a new one. had everything ready to bottle and checked again. this hydro says 1.030. still tiny bubbles rising to the top and the airlock is bubbling every 10-15 mins or so. this is after 2 weeks in primary and >2 weeks in secondary. am i about to make bottle bombs? is it ok to bottle now?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2008, 03:49 AM   #12
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I think you need to de-gas your hydrometer sample. The CO2 in the tube will throw your reading off. Tap your tube a few times and give your hydrometer a spin.

Chances are pretty good your beer is ready to bottle and the bubbling in your airlock is probably just CO2 escaping for the beer.

Old 10-31-2008, 04:13 AM   #13
chrishart7
Recipes 

nice post, I just had a 90 min Dogfish IPA the other day and I'm ready to brew this beer... it was amazing. I hope it turns out righteous for ya! Best of luck! I'll probably use your recipe (Extract brew), any tips?

Old 10-31-2008, 04:22 AM   #14
Pelikan
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm planning on doing an IPA fairly soon, something in the vein of a 90 minute (only more of a 70 minute, 7%/70 ibu). What's up with the odd hop schedule? Would 60 45 20 and 10 additions not have the same effect, despite similar or identical finishing ibu?

On a brewing hiatus. Will get back into the fray eventually, methinks...

Old 10-31-2008, 03:57 PM   #15
TeleTwanger
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelikan View Post
I'm planning on doing an IPA fairly soon, something in the vein of a 90 minute (only more of a 70 minute, 7%/70 ibu). What's up with the odd hop schedule? Would 60 45 20 and 10 additions not have the same effect, despite similar or identical finishing ibu?
I just made a 60 min clone and did 60, 50, 40, 35, 30, 25, 20, 15, 5 minute additions. I think the closer to continuous you do the closer to the original you'll get. Mine's still in the primary so I don't know what results I'll get with my schedule. I tried getting the same IBUs as they get with the same hops just not as continuous. I did 3 ounces hops with the bittering hops done in 4 (1/4oz) additions, the flavor done in 3(1/3oz) additions, and the aroma done in 2(1/5oz) additions + 3x.75oz dry hop additions.
Up next: The Bestist Bitter
Bottled: Blackout IPA

"Ooo Pretzels and Bier!"-Heidi Klum

Last edited by TeleTwanger; 10-31-2008 at 04:01 PM.

Old 10-31-2008, 05:05 PM   #16
Pelikan
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I'm just doing an IPA in general, although I do like pretty much everything about 90 minute (60 minute, not as much). Curious to hear more about a continuous schedule.

Old 10-31-2008, 05:14 PM   #17
TeleTwanger
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelikan View Post
I'm just doing an IPA in general, although I do like pretty much everything about 90 minute (60 minute, not as much). Curious to hear more about a continuous schedule.
Just start adding hops at 60 and throw in a little every 30 seconds or whatever until the boil is done.Figuring IBUs is the tricky part, for me at least as all I have is a calculator.... Check out Yooper's 60 min clone and her schedule.
Up next: The Bestist Bitter
Bottled: Blackout IPA

"Ooo Pretzels and Bier!"-Heidi Klum

Old 10-31-2008, 10:21 PM   #18
Pelikan
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeleTwanger View Post
Just start adding hops at 60 and throw in a little every 30 seconds or whatever until the boil is done.Figuring IBUs is the tricky part, for me at least as all I have is a calculator.... Check out Yooper's 60 min clone and her schedule.
What's the rational for doing this though? That's what I'm curious about. It's much easier to add pre-measured amounts at distinct times.

In other words, could one come up with a good IPA that doesn't follow a continuous hop schedule? What does continuous add to the brew that would be absent in a stepped addition?

Quick Reply