Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Need advice

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 12:31 PM   #1
twil
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Need advice

I'm fairly new to home brewing and could use some advice on my current batch of an ipa. I primed for a week then racked to secondary to dry hop. It's been in secondary for just about three weeks and hasent really cleared up all that much. Should I let it go a little longer or go ahead and bottle at this time?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 12:37 PM   #2
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 452 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 201

Not sure I fully understand the "primed for a week" but I can tell you that 3 weeks of dry hopping is way too long!
I will assume you meant fermented for 1 week and then transferred.

Basically your process is off and that's why you are having issues. You should allow the beer to fully ferment and clear before racking to a secondary vessel, usually 2 weeks. Then dry hop for anywhere from 5-14 days with 7 days being average, then package.

You can try to cold crash the vessel either by placing it in a fridge for a few days or if you live somewhere that is getting cold now, in the garage for a few days. This will help get everything settled out and clear.

At 3 weeks you may have some grassy off flavors from an overly long dry hop period FWIW

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 11-13-2012, 06:25 PM   #3
zzARzz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 5

You can also use plain, unflavored gelatin from your local grocery store to clear it up before you bottle. Use about 1 tbsp in 1/2 cup of water, let it sit in the water for 30 minutes, heat it to 170F for 10 minutes, let it cool and gently stir it into your fermenter. Leave it overnight and bottle the next day. It works pretty well and gelatin is cheap.

Quick Reply