Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Nebb - my first batch is only 2.95% alcohol????

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2009, 11:46 PM   #1
dna_alexov
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Nebb - my first batch is only 2.95% alcohol????

Just started my first batch last Sunday, which had a OG of 1032. It had a lot of krausen for the first 4 days - I tested the FG at that time at 1016. Now after seven it has very little krausen so I decided to transfer to my secondary carboy and airlock and test FG again - this time it was 1010.

I know the beer will continue to ferment in the secondary carboy, but will it really make that much of a difference? Based on the kit instructions, my beer is currently 2.95% (1032-1010 divided by 7.46).

Did I do something wrong, or does this FG sound right after only 1 week? Is there anything I can do now to increase abv (ie. can I add more sugar or honey into the secondary fermenter)?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2009, 11:55 PM   #2
captianoats
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts

What kind of beer are you making? That makes a big difference in the ABV. Also, it should not be fermenting in your secondary. If you've still got fermentation going on you'll want to leave it in the primary.

"Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music" --George Carlin

Old 01-12-2009, 12:00 AM   #3
gxm
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm sure I won't be the first to say, "Relax, don't worry, and have a home brew".

Without know any more details (type of extract, yeast, etc), your numbers sound fine, and quite similar to my first batch 36 -> 11.

The reason you have 3% alcohol is you had a low starting OG. If you had added more extract or sugar, you would have more alcohol. At this point, I wouldn't do anything to change the beer. Just learn from you experience and start brewing your next batch

Old 01-12-2009, 12:11 AM   #5
dna_alexov
Recipes 

The beer was one of those kits in a can with a pouch of yeast on top - it was an India Pale Ale I think. I added 1.1kg of dextrose and took the OG once the extract was all mixed up with the dextose and 23L water. I posted a question on the forum whehter 1032 sounded low, and I got replies that it sounded OK?

Should I have added more sugar? Or could I add honey in the future? If I should have added more, how much do you suggest in the future?

I'll still drink it and hopefully enjoy it, but in the future I want to know what I did wrong so I can get a 6% brew happening.

Thanks

Old 01-12-2009, 12:21 AM   #6
BrewinJack
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

if it taste good does it matter how much ABV it is? but still yes likely you will need to add more sugar the next time... but it would be better to add extra malt extract rather then over do the alchohal and unbalance the prehopped extract... You might try a differnt recipe kit, or manufacture

Cheers

"I wish i could give all my genrals a bottle of what he's drinking..." Honest Abe

"On the 8th day God created Bars"

Primary:
Ginger mead (3 Gal)
Edworts Apfelwine (5Gal)
Australian Lager (5gal)

Secondary:
Operation "Black Gold" (High ABV) (5 Gal)

Bottled:
Carmel Stout
Stright Juice Cider
Apple/Blue berry/ale

Old 01-12-2009, 12:25 AM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4343 Times on 3158 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Quote:
Originally Posted by dna_alexov View Post
The beer was one of those kits in a can with a pouch of yeast on top - it was an India Pale Ale I think. I added 1.1kg of dextrose and took the OG once the extract was all mixed up with the dextose and 23L water. I posted a question on the forum whehter 1032 sounded low, and I got replies that it sounded OK?

Should I have added more sugar? Or could I add honey in the future? If I should have added more, how much do you suggest in the future?

I'll still drink it and hopefully enjoy it, but in the future I want to know what I did wrong so I can get a 6% brew happening.

Thanks
No, no more sugar would be required, or honey. If anything, more malt extract would be ok. Do you have a link to your kit? Maybe I can calculate out the ABV for you. I think a kit with 1.032 for an IPA is way too low. I think it's an inaccurate measurement. Sometimes that happens, because you add water to the kit and the syrup is pretty heavy and doesn't mix all that well, and you get a false low measurement because the watery wort floats while the heavier stuff sinks.

(A KG of sugar in 5 gallons should give you 1.020, not including the kit!)

Old 01-12-2009, 12:44 AM   #8
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've had funny OG readings with extract before too. My dad now doesn't even measure the OG. If you get your volume right and added all of your extract, a calculation should be plenty accurate.

On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Old 01-12-2009, 02:02 AM   #9
dna_alexov
Recipes 

[QUOTE=YooperBrew;1058184]Do you have a link to your kit? Maybe I can calculate out the ABV for you. I think a kit with 1.032 for an IPA is way too low. QUOTE]

It was a Cooper Brewmaster Selection kit - the instructions do not include a webpage. The kit instructioins basically said to add the extract into 2L of hot water and stir, then top up to 23L with cool/cold water, add in the sugar and mix - then add the yeast.

I took the OG reading after everyting was mixed up to the 23L mark, just before adding the yeast. Is there a way to tell what this kit OG should have been?

Is there also any device that can read the actual ABV of a drink?

Thanks

Old 01-12-2009, 03:20 AM   #10
NZGirl
Recipes 

My instruction booklet says to add half a percent for priming sugar (bottling) so your finished alcohol percentage should be 3.45%... (1032-1010)/7.46 + .5

Nothing wrong a lower alcohol beer... but I understand where you're coming from wanting to find the reason.

Quick Reply