New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > NB's Rye Malt Syrup

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2012, 12:22 PM   #1
Enoch52
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default NB's Rye Malt Syrup

I've brewed a grand total of one beer (and it's still green) and I've never played with recipe creation before, so forgive me if this is a stupid question. I did do a search and wasn't able to find anything that quite addressed my question.

I've tried and really enjoyed Sierra Nevada's Ruthless Rye. I see that Northern Brewer has come out with a rye malt syrup, which is a boon to extract brewers that want to use rye.

With a grain bill of 70% 2-row, 20% rye malt, and 10% caramel 40%, this sounds very much like the grain bill of a typical rye IPA. My question is this: could you just use 12-12.25 lbs of this stuff as the grain bill for a respectable rye IPA?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2012, 12:29 PM   #2
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 429 Times on 402 Posts
Likes Given: 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch52
I've brewed a grand total of one beer (and it's still green) and I've never played with recipe creation before, so forgive me if this is a stupid question. I did do a search and wasn't able to find anything that quite addressed my question.

I've tried and really enjoyed Sierra Nevada's Ruthless Rye. I see that Northern Brewer has come out with a rye malt syrup, which is a boon to extract brewers that want to use rye.

With a grain bill of 70% 2-row, 20% rye malt, and 10% caramel 40%, this sounds very much like the grain bill of a typical rye IPA. My question is this: could you just use 12-12.25 lbs of this stuff as the grain bill for a respectable rye IPA?
IMO rye usually will only make up 10-20% of the grain bill so if I understand your question you would not want to only use the rye extract as your base malt, that would just be way too much!

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 09-26-2012, 12:31 PM   #3
Enoch52
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Actually, according to Northern Brewer the rye is only 20% of the syrup, so it would seem to hit the upper end of your recommendation. I agree that you wouldn't want 100% rye malt as the base!

Quick Reply