New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > NB spiced winter ale

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2007, 12:08 AM   #1
KingC
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default NB spiced winter ale

Hi all. I posted this message in a different forum and didn't get a response so I thought I would try it here. I was just wondering if any of you have every brewed the NB spiced winter ale kit? I brewed it last week and just transferred it to secondary yesterday. I took a little sample to see how it tasted and the spices were a bit overwhelming (at least to me). I was wondering if the brew will mellow out a bit after some time in the secondary/bottles. Any input or knowledge will be of great assistance. thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2007, 03:07 AM   #2
Kernsie
Recipes 

I bottled a spiced Holiday Ale from Austin Homebrew (Primary for 3 1/2 weeks) last week & when sampled, the spices were mild. I took a reading after 1 1/2 weeks & I could smell the spices. When I bottled, the spice smell was more mild.

I'm guessing it should mellow out some when you transfer to bottles.

Good luck.

This has all been wonderful.......but now I'm on my way.

Old 12-04-2007, 05:15 AM   #3
CplHunter

Recipes 

I just bottled my batch of NB Spiced Winter Ale last Saturday. I did not use all the spices that the recipe called for. I believe I stuck 1/2 package in before the boil, and 1/4 package in after the boil. Some pieces and parts made it through the racking cane and into the primary. I probably should have added it directly to the primary. Only did 3 weeks in the primary, no secondary.

Even with using only 75% of what the recipe calls for, from what I've tasted so far, it's a bit more than I'd add if I had to do it all over again. Hoping things even out a bit more with a few more weeks in the bottles.

Quick Reply