Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > NB Sierra Madre Kit with no hops flavor......What gives??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2011, 08:46 PM   #1
brewben
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default NB Sierra Madre Kit with no hops flavor......What gives??

So I just cracked open my first brew a NB Sierra Madre Extract kit that sat in the primary 8 days, secondary 2 weeks, and in the bottle 2 weeks. The flavor is very malty with some bottles boring a cider-ish taste, not really though, just 'off'. Not real sure how to describe it. No hop smell or taste. Given that this kit is supposed to be a pale ale that mimics Sierra Nevada I am looking for reasons that this brew turned out like this. Thanks for any help

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2011, 09:05 PM   #2
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 139 Posts
Likes Given: 83

post your recipe and your process, it could be lots of things. i never liked the 2 extract beers i made when starting out and quickly moved on to all grain. having said that, many people brew award winning extract beer.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:32 PM   #3
dnslater
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I recently made a pale ale from a kit from my local LHBS that is supposed to be a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone. It was very close. My recipe gave me the option of adding the last of the hops at flameout or dryhopping. I chose to dry hop. Post your technique and I will compare to my notes with my kit.

Trash Paper Brew Werks

Shirts and stuff

Old 09-17-2011, 04:15 PM   #4
jheywood76
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

The NB Sierra Madre kit was the second kit I ever brewed. It was fantastic and on my list to repeat at some point.

Old 09-17-2011, 05:49 PM   #5
flabyboy
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

That may be acetelhyde that you are tasting. Your beer is a little young yet. Give it more time. Next time leave it in the primary for 3 weeks and skip the secondary

Quick Reply