Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > NB Chinook IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2013, 11:21 PM   #1
bobot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Default NB Chinook IPA

Just tasted my Northern Brewer Chinook IPA. Wow, that's bitter beer!
Now I know what chinook hops do!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 12:45 AM   #2
kepo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

How did it turn out though? Expecting mine to be delivered tomorrow and will be brewing This week. Curious of what others think of this kit as it will be my first IPA and second batch ever.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:18 AM   #3
bobot
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 45

It turned out fine, I'm not disappointed. One of the things I'm learning as a new brewer is what to expect from different hops. That's one of the things I liked about this kit- just chinook hops, so I can get a feel for them.
The one I tried was still green, but curiosity got the better of me. I had it bottled for 2 weeks at 70f, then 2 days in the fridge.
The rest of them will hang out in my basement for another few weeks before I try another.
There was no floral or fruity aroma in the one I tried, more of a peppery bitterness. Compared to the Mr. Beers I started with, and the 5 gal. kits I've done since, this one was bigger and badder for sure.
I wonder what a few more weeks of conditioning will bring.
Good luck with yours!

Old 01-18-2013, 07:16 PM   #4
kepo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I received my kit on Monday and there was a hole in the DME bag and I ended up loosing about a quarter of the bag. NB was quick to send me a replacement that will be here tonight so i will be brewing this weekend. I was thinking of adding an additional 1/2 lb of DME to the boil so it will not go to wast and try to kick up the ABV slightly. Has anyone tried this? Will it change the flavor much? I'm new the the whole thing and would hate to mess it but I have read people add sugar and LME with no ill effects. Thanks for any and all comments.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:04 PM   #5
gcdowd
Hopalicious
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 194 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I brewed that many moons ago, great beer. Love the Chinook

God invented whiskey to keep the Irish from ruling the world.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:43 PM   #6
kepo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kepo
I received my kit on Monday and there was a hole in the DME bag and I ended up loosing about a quarter of the bag. NB was quick to send me a replacement that will be here tonight so i will be brewing this weekend. I was thinking of adding an additional 1/2 lb of DME to the boil so it will not go to wast and try to kick up the ABV slightly. Has anyone tried this? Will it change the flavor much? I'm new the the whole thing and would hate to mess it but I have read people add sugar and LME with no ill effects. Thanks for any and all comments.
Bump!!! Anyone try this? I am brewing tomorrow and was wondering others thoughts. Thanks

Old 01-19-2013, 02:03 PM   #7
thood6
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 11

An extra half pound won't do a ton in a typical 5 gallon batch. No reason not to throw it in.

"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
~Ernest Hemingway

Primary: CDJ IPA #1, Sea Cow Pale #1
Secondary: HUH?
Bottle: Scroatmeal Stout, Kolsch, Honey Blonde, Imperial Stout, Raspberry Stout, Blackberry Stout
Keg: Pumpkin Porter, Vanilla Porter
Future: Irish Red, Centennial Blonde, White Ale, Whiskey Imperial Stout #1, Saison #1

Old 01-19-2013, 02:53 PM   #8
kepo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thood6
An extra half pound won't do a ton in a typical 5 gallon batch. No reason not to throw it in.
Thank you!!!

Old 01-19-2013, 07:26 PM   #9
Joe530
Recipes 

I'm 1 week into my dry hop (brewed it on 23 Dec). I will more than likely bottle tomorrow and will have to wait untill the end of Jan when I get back from business trip to tast. I heard many great reviews from this kit that I had to try it. Waiting is the hardest part.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:23 PM   #10
kepo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe530
I'm 1 week into my dry hop (brewed it on 23 Dec). I will more than likely bottle tomorrow and will have to wait untill the end of Jan when I get back from business trip to tast. I heard many great reviews from this kit that I had to try it. Waiting is the hardest part.
How long did you primary? secondary? before you did the dry hop? I would love to hear your thoughts once you taste it since you will be drinking way before me. I am looking forward to this cuz I do like Chinook:-)

Quick Reply