Last days to enter the BrewHardware Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Nasty Brew Store Houston, TX Area

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2012, 06:42 PM   #1
SaltyTX
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Nasty Brew Store Houston, TX Area

If you live in Houston, Do not go to B&S Brewers Guild on Nasa rd 1, in Seabrook.

I have tried several times to buy grains there...and several times, weevils. Usually, I won't buy. This time, I didn't notice anything immediately...so I purchased some grain.

Sadly, I purchased some grain there on Saturday, but didn't have time to brew, so I let it sit on my table in a plastic bag. I tossed it into a pot today ready to brew...and what do I see. Dozens of weevils.

Not cool. This has been going on at least a year.

Expired yeast, always out of stock with regular grains, hops usually not in stock (or mistreated), owner doesn't care.

I gave them one last chance this weekend, never again.

Not an advertisement, just sharing a few experience with some brewing friends in the area.

DeFalcos has never been an issue for me. I have not tried the one in Spring. Too bad Keg Cowboy left, they were cool too..

Old 10-04-2012, 06:51 PM   #2
MachineShopBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Oh boy, you posted a bad experience with a homebrew shop. Get ready to get destroyed by everyone out there in internet land. Ask me how I know...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2012, 06:53 PM   #3
HawksBrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1032 Times on 968 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineShopBrewing View Post
Oh boy, you posted a bad experience with a homebrew shop. Get ready to get destroyed by everyone out there in internet land. Ask me how I know...
This. Have you addressed the issue w/ the owner of the shop to alert them of the issue?

Old 10-04-2012, 07:00 PM   #4
AleL0ver
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I don't known the shop you refer to so can't comment, I must say DeFalcos are great, I went there a few weeks ago and asked about an ale recipe, guy in the back was great, he threw in some hops, priming sugar, yeast food in for free, very helpfully.
Taxas Home Brewers are closeset to me, also great place to shop.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:01 PM   #5
SaltyTX
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I fear no attacks. I don't much care what someone thinks. I do care to ensure all know what they may be buying.

I have talked to the owner before, as stated. He does not care. Maybe he posts here, who knows. He was rude and not helpful.

I am not the only one with the same experiences. I'm just the one who opens my mouth more.

Never heard of Texas Home Brewers- may drive out there one day. It is sad B&S is so pitiful a store, It is only 2 miles from my house. DeFalcos and others are a 35-45 min+ drive. I do go to DeFalcos occasionally. Usually mail order.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:03 PM   #6
MachineShopBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I agree with posting this info. If someone has that much lack of responsibility for their store, then they deserve to get blasted online. A specialty shop should have a little more care and concern over what they are selling, without having to bring it to their attention. They have to know that there are weevils in their grain and that their yeast is old. They just don't care as the OP said. It is the owners/manager's responsibility to make sure that a level of quality is being maintained, not the consumers.

I posted a public service announcement about a particular homebrew shop a while ago and got 3 pages of people calling me a douchebag for posting it. I was just warning you that people are fiercely loyal to LHBS regardless of quality or level of care. I am like you, I don't care what they think either.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:08 PM   #7
HawksBrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1032 Times on 968 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyTX View Post
I have talked to the owner before, as stated. He does not care. Maybe he posts here, who knows. He was rude and not helpful.
In that case fire away. He should have more pride in his shop, at least I know I would. You should bottle a brew and toss some weevils in at bottling and give it to him.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:15 PM   #8
mredge73
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 32 Posts

B&S Brewers Guild is 5 minutes from my house.
Guess where I buy my home brewing ingredients and equipment?

That's right, online retailers and bulk buys!
You are not alone with your experience with this store, I think we had a discussion about it on one of the Houston bulk buy threads.
B&S is my absolute last resort since the prices, ingredients, and advice are unfavorable.
I am thinking about joining the club that meets there but I don't think that I can support the store...

Quick Reply