Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > NA beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2008, 03:49 PM   #1
mringer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default NA beer

Yes, i know, its a wierd title....

I was recently diagnoised as having Hemochromotosis. I like beer, i like the way it tastes. I really don't drink much hard liquor anymore either. Part for having what I have means no more drinking. I know that NA beers are comercially available but most of them either suck, or cost way to much (imports are like 7.99 a six pack) Is there a way to make your own NA beer?

thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2008, 03:53 PM   #2
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yes.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 12-02-2008, 03:53 PM   #3
Tenchiro

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mringer View Post

I was recently diagnoised as having Hemochromotosis. I like beer, i like the way it tastes. I really don't drink much hard liquor anymore either. Part for having what I have means no more drinking. I know that NA beers are comercially available but most of them either suck, or cost way to much (imports are like 7.99 a six pack) Is there a way to make your own NA beer?

thanks!
You might be able to brew a normal batch then distill it to remove the alcohol. I have no idea what that would do to the flavor and is technically illegal though. Otherwise maybe brew a batch w/ 1/3rd less fermentables or more hops than normal to balance the sweetness and keg/force carb without using any yeast to ferment.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:33 PM   #4
john from dc
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

i believe that the process evan! linked to is legal if you do what the article says and only what the article says.

it'd be difficult if not impossible to explain why i think this without running afoul of the site's terms of service so it's probably best that we all leave it at that. but if anybody disagrees, feel free to send me a private message. i certainly could be wrong.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:38 PM   #5
camiller
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 9

As it happens I have a batch fermenting, half of which will become NA for my brother-in-law following the process in the article Evan! linked to. I am considering modifying that process by using puney_the_youkel's French Coffee Press method to add back some hop aroma and flavor since some of that will be driven off in the process of removing the alcohol. For my purposes I'll use an ounce of my homegrown cascades in 2-3 cups of water for the half batch.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:41 PM   #6
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 452 Times on 359 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchiro View Post
You might be able to brew a normal batch then distill it to remove the alcohol. I have no idea what that would do to the flavor and is technically illegal though.
Distilling off the alcohol would only be illegal if you condensed and captured the distillate. If you're just boiling off the alcohol and letting it escape into the air, then you're fine. If you're trying to make a NA beer, then your product is what's left behind, not what's distilled off.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 12-02-2008, 05:16 PM   #7
ifishsum
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Actually it's only distilling if you're capturing the evaporated alcohol and collecting it - otherwise it's just evaporation.

Primary 2: Edwort's Robust Porter
Secondary 1: LW Pale Ale
Secondary 1: Blackened Soul RIS
Kegged: Dead Guy Ale
Kegged: Rye Pale Ale
Kegged: Haus Pale Ale
Kegged: Nut Brown Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber
Kegged: Jock Scott Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber

Old 12-02-2008, 05:26 PM   #8
Tenchiro

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

True but letting all that alcohol vapor out into the open around a heat source has to be dangerous, without capturing it you would have to make sure you are well ventilated.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:37 PM   #9
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1900 Times on 1371 Posts
Likes Given: 1045

Quote:
Originally Posted by mringer View Post

thanks!
My FIL has that as well, I think. He believes he got it in 'Nam. He doesn't drink in excess, but usually has a beer or two most of the time we go out, or go work in the garage. I don't think his doctor has said anything about it. Not sure how bad it is yet though either.

That is one thing that cheeses me off about NA beer. It's made to taste like Miller Lite, and then they take out half the flavour! I'd be happy drinking a DECENT NA beer if I were to be DD for the night.

Hmm... NA IPA....

Old 12-02-2008, 07:05 PM   #10
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 51 Posts

See also, BierMuncher's thread on this topic...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/crea...my-beer-39433/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Quick Reply