Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Are my Yeasts Dead?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2013, 03:31 AM   #1
Kennelmouth
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 6

1st of all, sorry; I'm sure the answer is in here somewhere but I guess I'm too green to find it, so here goes...

I've just finished my second brew, a red rye from an extract kit that I got from a local brew supplier. All went well during the brew process, near as I can tell, and I pitched yeast into the fermenter at 81 degrees. OG was 1.060.

The next day I checked the fermenter (a glass carboy) and it was looking great. The wort was churning and there was a thick layer of foam and the airlock was pop-pop-popping. Awesome.

About 12 hours later I checked in on it and there was no foam, no churn, and weak bubbling at the airlock. I have not checked the gravity, since it has only been 36 hours.

No one was home between the time that the carboy's content was making me grin and when it became a source of soul-crushing depression, but I know it did get warm in the house. Last I checked the stick-on thermometer was around 78, and I know that fermentation can bring more heat. For what its worth, my suspicion is that heat is responsible for what has happened.

Is my yeast dead? Do I re-pitch? What other information do I need to provide to help you answer the question?

Last edited by Kennelmouth; 08-10-2013 at 04:08 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2013, 03:33 AM   #2
boydster
Don't act like you're not impressed.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 706 Times on 489 Posts
Likes Given: 542

Congrats! Now to answer your question... Maybe not. Or possibly yes. Need more info... Why do you think they might be dead?

Old 08-10-2013, 03:43 AM   #3
lumpher
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennelmouth View Post
1st of all, sorry; I'm sure the answer is in here somewhere but I guess I'm too green to find it, so here goes...

I've just finished my second brew
i'm thinking they probably might...

hey, shiny stuff

Taps:
1: Yeti RIS clone
2: Mangrove Hefe
3: Barkshack Gingermead
4: Oatmeal Stout
5: Bavarian Wheat
6: Premium Lager

Fermenting: Concord Wine, ESB

Old 08-10-2013, 03:49 AM   #4
boydster
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpher View Post
i'm thinking they probably might...

hey, shiny stuff
Now let's not jump to conclusions. They could b-

SQUIRREL!

Old 08-10-2013, 03:50 AM   #5
Kennelmouth
Recipes 

Sorry guys I screwed up when I was posting and didn't provide the info. I fixed it.

Old 08-10-2013, 03:55 AM   #6
boydster
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

OK with the new info you added, 78 is pretty warm... OK really warm... It may have completely fermented out already and you can also probably expect some ester production at a temp that high.

I would recommend the following: Take a gravity reading. Let it set for another 7-10 days. Take another gravity reading. If it is the same, bottle and see what you've got because it's done fermenting and cleaned up. If it's different, wait another 3 days and check gravity again. Rinse and repeat until you get the same reading twice.

You will really enjoy how much better your beer will become with temperature control at the early stages. 78 is very warm. In Maine, we would say that's wicked hawt for the beeah.

Old 08-10-2013, 03:59 AM   #7
KepowOb
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Without taking a gravity reading you really can't know too much, except you had visible fermentation and that's over now. At high temps fermentation will speed up. Wait a bit longer, say a few more days, and then take a reading. It fermented a bit hot, but I doubt your yesst are dead.

Drinking: Orange Saison
Bottle conditioning: APA
Fermenting: RIS

Old 08-10-2013, 04:00 AM   #8
Kennelmouth
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boydsbitchinbrews
OK with the new info you added, 78 is pretty warm... OK really warm... It may have completely fermented out already and you can also probably expect some ester production at a temp that high.

I would recommend the following: Take a gravity reading. Let it set for another 7-10 days. Take another gravity reading. If it is the same, bottle and see what you've got because it's done fermenting and cleaned up. If it's different, wait another 3 days and check gravity again. Rinse and repeat until you get the same reading twice.

You will really enjoy how much better your beer will become with temperature control at the early stages. 78 is very warm. In Maine, we would say that's wicked hot for the beeah.
Yeah, we had some power grid issues in the neighborhood this week and the closet just got way hotter than normal. Is it really possible for the fermentation to have all occurred in such a rapid time? Im new to this so i really don't know, but my last brew took 10 days to reach a stable gravity at only a few degrees less.

Old 08-10-2013, 04:03 AM   #9
Kennelmouth
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boydsbitchinbrews
Ok so, if I do that and the gravity is still high then I should repitch? And if it is low I should bottle and get used to the taste of Juicy Fruit?

Old 08-10-2013, 04:07 AM   #10
boydster
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

It is possible. At 1.060, I would think it would take longer, but the only way to know for sure is to check gravity and to keep tabs on whether or not it is changing. Usually, I wait at least 10 days before I check it, but if you are worried about your yeast health you can check it earlier to make sure it is working. It sounds like it is working, and at this point, there is a healthy CO2 blanket over the beer to help ensure you don't oxidize it by checking the gravity so there really isn't much to lose. It might still be fermenting, even though it doesn't look like it, and at higher temps you really want to give the yeast time to clean up and off-flavors it might produce (diacetyl, acetaldehyde, etc) so that is why I say check it now and then again in 7-10 days. You may have some esters, but I would think you are still low enough to (hopefully) not have to worry about fusel alcohol production.

Quick Reply