Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Is My Yeast Still Good?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2010, 11:46 PM   #1
TRainH2o
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Is My Yeast Still Good?

Hi all,

I bought a couple of kits from ABS last September. I brewed one on Teach a Friend to Brew Day. Since I am new and had little equipment, I only had 1 fermentor. Needless to say, I had to wait to brew my second batch until I kegged the first. Next thing you know it's Christmas and I really didn't have time to brew until now.

Being a total newbie I didn't think about refrigerating my yeast.....until now. It has been at room temperature since the kit came in. It's a liquid White Labs California Ale yeast.

Is it still good?
Do I need to make a starter for it?
What's the quickest way to get it going?

Tomorrow is our first day in many weeks that it's going to be near 50˚*outside and I would really like to brew it up before life happens again. Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2010, 11:51 PM   #2
hamiltont
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Only way to know for sure is make a starter & see...

If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Old 01-13-2010, 11:54 PM   #3
Hugh_Jass
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 15

If you'd like to brew tomorrow, you can visit your LHBS and purchase a comparable dry yeast(us-05). If you plan to wait, you can either make a starter for the yeast in your possession or purchase a different yeast. I wouldn't go through the time, effort, and trouble of brewing a batch of beer for a "maybe my yeast will be viable to ferment my batch with good results".
US-05 would be the cali ale dry replacement.
Cheers!

Old 01-14-2010, 02:37 AM   #4
TRainH2o
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I don't have a LHBS unfortunately. I may just make the starter and see what happens.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:10 AM   #5
JiveTurkey
Recipes 

Location: Corvallis (Heart of the [Willamette] Valley), Oregon
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRainH2o View Post
I don't have a LHBS unfortunately. I may just make the starter and see what happens.
Sounds like a good plan. Making a starter will tell you whether or not the yeast are good prior to brew day. If they're not, then unfortunately it sounds like you'll be waiting even longer before you get to brew.
Aging for 1 Year: #1 LHBS Standard (Dry) Stout
In bottles: #2 Honing Wit (Belgian Wit Bier w/honey); #3 Be Hoppy, Not Bitter ("Oregon" Pale Ale: APA using Oregon-inspired ingredients and lots of late-addition/dry-hops); #4 American Red-Head (Irish Red made from American ingredients); #5 Student Power Orange Ale (Orange-hued amber ale for a wedding)
Primary: [n/a]
On deck: [Thinking about it]

Quick Reply