Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Is my yeast starter DOA?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2008, 05:37 AM   #1
jldc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default Is my yeast starter DOA?

I know, I know, RDWHAHB, but . . .

Tomorrow, I plan on brewing for the first time with a liquid yeast (White Labs Southern German Lager). I got up this morning and boiled 3 oz of DME in 700cc water with a small amount (1/8 tsp) yeast nutrient. I cooled it to 78 F, and pitched the yeast which had been in the fridge for 2-3 weeks after allowing it to come to room temp overnight. I covered it with a piece of sanitized aluminum foil.

Six hours or so later there were no definite signs of fermentation. No bubbles, no krausen, nothing. I put on an airlock so I could see if there was any gas production, but so far, nothing - nada - zilch. There is a pretty substantial amount of sediment on the bottom of the flask - maybe more than the 1/2 tube slurry I started with, but I can't be certain.

I will watch it overnight, but if everything is the same in the morning, do I trust it or not? I could order more yeast - maybe a different kind - and brew next weekend.

Advice please.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2008, 06:04 AM   #2
eriktlupus

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

sleep on it. when yeast is using oxygen and replicating it doesn't create co2 and hence doesn't offgas out an airlock. in the morning your starter should be at high krausen and ready to pitch.

primary1 :UTOPIA BABY(still searching for it)
secondary:middling bastard ipa
kegged:simcoe blonde, crystal pale ale, yellow jacket golden ale, lemon shandy blonde
DRINKIN DAWG BREWERY
LET'S GO RED WINGS

join michigan mashers here

extraction calculator
grains in pounds(G) X 36(average points per gallon of grains) / batch size in gallons(g) = maximum efficiency(ME)
OG / ME = brewhouse efficiency

Old 12-14-2008, 02:19 PM   #3
jldc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

This morning I have slow, but definite bubbling. Looks like we're a go.

Quick Reply