Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > My yeast is all lumpy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2010, 12:57 AM   #1
IHateMayonnaise
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default My yeast is all lumpy. [SOLVED]

About 20 minutes into steeping the grains of my 5th batch (American Stout), looked over to see if the yeast was warming up at all and noticed that it was in one big (solid) lump. Gently moved it back in forth for two solid minutes, now it's in a hundred little chunks. Did it ten minutes later, not much better.

The yeast is White Labs British Ale Yeast. I chose not to do a starter on this due to the low gravity of the beer. Should I just assume that this will work itself out? Or am I screwed?

Thanks yall

IHateMayonnais

Last edited by IHateMayonnaise; 01-16-2010 at 01:11 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2010, 12:59 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

It will work itself out just fine, though since you opted not to make a starter (though for anything above 1.025 og you should) more than likely you will have a lag time.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-16-2010, 01:02 AM   #3
Austinhomebrew
Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 90

The White Labs strains that are high flocculators will look clumpy like cottage cheese at times. All is good.

Forrest

Old 01-16-2010, 01:04 AM   #4
IHateMayonnaise
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the replies!

My original worry was that a lot of the clumps would settle to the bottom with the hops and just sit there and not do anything. So I should not worry about this?

Old 01-16-2010, 01:06 AM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHateMayonnaise View Post
Thanks for the replies!

My original worry was that a lot of the clumps would settle to the bottom with the hops and just sit there and not do anything. So I should not worry about this?
No, you shouldn't worry about anything.....It will be fine despite what you may think. The yeast are really good at figuring out what they need to do, they've been doing it for 45 million years.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-16-2010, 01:08 AM   #6
ajf

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I read the title, and thought WLP002

Another vote for it will be fine.

-a.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Old 01-16-2010, 01:10 AM   #7
IHateMayonnaise
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Problem solved. Thanks yall!

Quick Reply