*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Is my water OK to brew with?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2012, 08:11 PM   #1
GameFreac
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Is my water OK to brew with?

I'm brewing my first batch this weekend (Murfreesboro, TN) and totally forgot about my water quality. Here is my report:

So can I brew with this? Or should I get campden tablets or bottled water from the store. I also have a Brita water pitcher. Would that help?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2012, 08:32 PM   #2
AmandaK
Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Does it taste good? Is it free of contaminants? Then yes, you can brew with it. It's your first batch, don't get caught up in over complicating the issue.

Once you get a hold on brewing, then check out Martin's website: Bru'n Water to get a better understanding.

Water is not a subject that can be covered in a thread reply.

Souring: #32 Lambic 2.0, #49 Lambic 3.0, #60 3763 Flanders Brown, #61 WLP665 Flanders Brown
Conditioning: #38 Golden Sour, #58 Hooch Cider, #79 Dopplebock, #84 Amy Cider
Drinkin': #16 Lambic 1.0 (Drunk Monk BOS), #84 Fall Cider

Old 09-13-2012, 08:36 PM   #3
jonny_crash
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm new as well, but I would say that if your water is drinkable without noticeable tastes or aroma that it will brew great beer. If you have the time and it would make you feel better use your filtered water, but I wouldn't go through the extra expense or trouble until you have tried brewing with your own water. I usually let my water just sit for a day to let the chlorine naturally evaporate.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:58 PM   #4
HopSong
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I'd call them and ask for a more detailed report... Mine gives a ton more info.

Ask for Calcium, Magnesium, Carbonate, Sulphate, you have Sodium but ask for Chloride, Total Hardness, Total Alkalinity and pH as a minimum.

I'm sure they have all of those.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:18 PM   #5
JeffoC6
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 28 Posts

For those who are saying "if it tastes good, it'll make great beer," I'd beg to differ. I brewed my first 20some (1-gallon AG) batches with bottled Poland Spring water. Hey, it tastes great, right?

Well, because I didn't worry about the water chemistry behind brewing, I ended up with 20some astringent/tannin tasting beers because my pH was all messed up. Every single one of my IPA's has the same astringent hop aroma (regardless of the hops and malts I use) and the same off flavor, like I'm sucking on a penny.

OP, beware that just because the water tastes great, doesn't mean it'll make great beer.

Planned:
Prim #1: Ed Wort's Bavarian Hefe
Prim #2:
Prim #3:
Prim #4:
Prim #5:
Prim #6:
Bottled: Saddle-Up IPA, Leaf House IPA

Old 09-13-2012, 10:26 PM   #6
LazyEye
Recipes 

Just get yourself a carbon filter and you'll be fine. Water chemistry plays a bigger roll when doing all grain (I'd assume you are going with extract). You can always do a 50/50 mix of RO and your filtered house water

Old 09-14-2012, 02:00 AM   #7
GameFreac
Recipes 

It does taste good from the tap but I usually filter it through my Brita pitcher. I would call and ask for a more detailed report but I'm brewing Saturday so I don't really have much time. Guess I'll just use the filter and hope for the best.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:46 AM   #8
LazyEye
Recipes 

When I first started brewing I would buy the Costco kirkland bottled water, the one with the with 6 one gallon containers. It made some great Beers but I got tired of making trips and waiting in line just for that

Old 09-14-2012, 02:53 AM   #9
jonny_crash
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

He hasn't even brewed one batch yet to see what his final product will be. You're making this more complicated than you have to. Brew, taste and if you are happy awesome. If you are not post your recipe and some of the more knowledgeable people may be able to help you correct what you don't like.
Lots of people have brewed lots of good beer with tap water let's not put the cart before the horse.
It took you 20 batches to figure out it was your water, but you still figured it out. And isn't that part of the learning process???

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffoC6 View Post
For those who are saying "if it tastes good, it'll make great beer," I'd beg to differ. I brewed my first 20some (1-gallon AG) batches with bottled Poland Spring water. Hey, it tastes great, right?

Well, because I didn't worry about the water chemistry behind brewing, I ended up with 20some astringent/tannin tasting beers because my pH was all messed up. Every single one of my IPA's has the same astringent hop aroma (regardless of the hops and malts I use) and the same off flavor, like I'm sucking on a penny.

OP, beware that just because the water tastes great, doesn't mean it'll make great beer.

Old 09-14-2012, 10:41 AM   #10
JeffoC6
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny_crash View Post
He hasn't even brewed one batch yet to see what his final product will be. You're making this more complicated than you have to. Brew, taste and if you are happy awesome. If you are not post your recipe and some of the more knowledgeable people may be able to help you correct what you don't like.
Lots of people have brewed lots of good beer with tap water let's not put the cart before the horse.
It took you 20 batches to figure out it was your water, but you still figured it out. And isn't that part of the learning process???
Fair point. I overlooked that he was on his first batch. Yes, I agree that you should let 'er rip if that's the case.

I wish I would have known is my point. I wish by the 5th batch I knew it was my water that was causing problems. Just trying to educate the young paduan so he doesn't go down the dark road of astringent tasting beer

Planned:
Prim #1: Ed Wort's Bavarian Hefe
Prim #2:
Prim #3:
Prim #4:
Prim #5:
Prim #6:
Bottled: Saddle-Up IPA, Leaf House IPA

Quick Reply