Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > My volume went up 2 liters!?!
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2010, 09:54 PM   #1
Setesh
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Setesh's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Edmond, Oklahoma
Posts: 1,295
Liked 256 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 291

Default My volume went up 2 liters!?!

Hello,

This is my fifth batch of beer, and it is a big Belgian Quad. OG was 1102. I topped up to 19 liters in the primary and pitched 2 vials of WLP500. Fermentation is complete now (FG 1024) and it is conditioning. What I don't understand is now the volume reads 21 liters. Is this because those yeasties multiplied enough to take up 2 more liters in volume? If so, that's a lot of yeasties.

__________________
Setesh is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2010, 10:31 PM   #2
GroosBrewz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: West Richland, WA, WA
Posts: 835
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setesh View Post
Hello,

This is my fifth batch of beer, and it is a big Belgian Quad. OG was 1102. I topped up to 19 liters in the primary and pitched 2 vials of WLP500. Fermentation is complete now (FG 1024) and it is conditioning. What I don't understand is now the volume reads 21 liters. Is this because those yeasties multiplied enough to take up 2 more liters in volume? If so, that's a lot of yeasties.

Actually, that sounds about right for a beer that big....
__________________

Tap 1- JubelAle Clone
Tap 2- Evening Bite Pale Ale
Tap 3- Twilight Clone
Tap 4- Dicks Danger Ale Clone

"Today I felt like burning some calories....So I found a fat kid and set him on fire"

GroosBrewz is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2010, 11:09 PM   #3
JeffersonJ
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JeffersonJ's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 162
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Well, the density of water is 1 kg/liter...

An OG of 1.102 means your original density is 1.102 kg/liter. You said it was 19 liters, so your mass is

( 1.102 kg/liter ) * (19 liters) = 20.94 kg

During fermentation, your mass is pretty much constant. So if the density decreases and the mass stays the same, then the volume must increase. So with an FG of 1.024, your density is 1.024 kg/liter. Then, your final volume is:

( 20.94 kg ) / (1.024 kg/liter) = 20.45 liters

Your increase in volume:

( 20.45 liters ) - ( 19 liters) = 1.45 liters

So, you should expect an increase of about 1.5 liters during fermentation of such a large beer.

__________________
JeffersonJ is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2010, 12:05 AM   #4
Setesh
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Setesh's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Edmond, Oklahoma
Posts: 1,295
Liked 256 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 291

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffersonJ View Post
Well, the density of water is 1 kg/liter...

An OG of 1.102 means your original density is 1.102 kg/liter. You said it was 19 liters, so your mass is

( 1.102 kg/liter ) * (19 liters) = 20.94 kg

During fermentation, your mass is pretty much constant. So if the density decreases and the mass stays the same, then the volume must increase. So with an FG of 1.024, your density is 1.024 kg/liter. Then, your final volume is:

( 20.94 kg ) / (1.024 kg/liter) = 20.45 liters

Your increase in volume:

( 20.45 liters ) - ( 19 liters) = 1.45 liters

So, you should expect an increase of about 1.5 liters during fermentation of such a large beer.
Thanks JeffersonJ, it makes perfect sense when you think of it that way.
Brewing is so neat!
__________________
Setesh is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2010, 12:07 AM   #5
Setesh
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Setesh's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Edmond, Oklahoma
Posts: 1,295
Liked 256 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 291

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroosBrewz View Post
Actually, that sounds about right for a beer that big....
Thanks!
I'm sure it's something I would have learned with experience, but I was curious NOW
__________________
Setesh is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
6 liters what the h? motobrewer Fermentation & Yeast 6 11-13-2009 08:52 PM
2.5 Gallons or 10 liters brewery set Cede DIY Projects 9 11-13-2009 06:55 PM
Boiling 250 liters (~65GAL) brews kingoslo Equipment/Sanitation 5 09-08-2009 11:17 PM
Will this stirrer stir 2 liters noisy123 Equipment/Sanitation 5 02-07-2009 12:35 PM
Used 2 Liters for Rootbeer? razyrsharpe Bottling/Kegging 4 08-26-2007 07:23 PM