Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > My Virgin Voyage

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2006, 10:31 PM   #1
LouisianaVince
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default My Virgin Voyage

After all of the hassles with UPS and an unbelievably frustrating week (work, moving a friend, etc.), I've got my first batch ever in the fermenting pail. Start to finish, including cleaning the kitchen, this batch of extract based American Pale Ale (Listermann's) took me 5 hours and 10 minutes. I was extremely careful with sanitation, and I'm pretty sure I did everything right. OG was 1.055 at 60 degrees before pitching the yeast, and it's supposed to be 1.058. So I guess that's close enough. I took a lot of notes and pictures along the way. This should help when I'm ready to start the next batch.

Now I'm smoking a pipe full of Blue Note and relaxing while watching Jeff Foxworthy's Big Night Out on CMT.

LouisianaVince
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
Fermenting: AHS Bass Ale clone
Secondary: none
Drinking: Assorted commercial beers
Bottled: None: Drank it all!
Next up: AHS Old Speckled Hen clone, then AHS Imperial British Red

Last edited by LouisianaVince; 10-24-2006 at 04:20 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2006, 02:30 AM   #2
disaffected
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Congratulations, VInce. Five hours is not bad at all, better than my first brew... or second, or third...

Feels great, doesn't it? Keep an eye on the fermentation lock. You should start seeing bubbling anywhere from a few hours to a day after pitching.

Old 10-23-2006, 02:52 AM   #3
LouisianaVince

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer4breakfast
Congratulations, VInce. Five hours is not bad at all, better than my first brew... or second, or third...

Feels great, doesn't it? Keep an eye on the fermentation lock. You should start seeing bubbling anywhere from a few hours to a day after pitching.

Thanks Breaux! Yes, it's a good feeling. I just got back from LSU. A kid who used to work with me plays in Hamiruge (Hammer Rouge, the LSU Percussion Ensemble). They gave an incredible concert tonight. Checked the lock when I got home, and no activity yet. But I know it can take a day, so I'm not worried.

Tomorrow is the first time in over a week that I go in at my normal time (6am instead of 5am). I think I'll have a Sam Adams Boston Lager or two before going to bed.

LouisianaVince
-Benjamin Franklin

Old 10-23-2006, 05:07 AM   #4
dantodd

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Congrats Vince.

Post your recipe!

My first is an APA too. Centennial bittering hops, Amarillo flavoring and tomorrow I'll rack to secondary and add cascades for true American aroma. My OG was 1.052 and hopefully it will end up at 1.013 and hopefully 39 IBU which will fall into the middle of the APA range.

Old 10-23-2006, 09:09 PM   #5
LouisianaVince

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd
Congrats Vince.

Post your recipe!

My first is an APA too. Centennial bittering hops, Amarillo flavoring and tomorrow I'll rack to secondary and add cascades for true American aroma. My OG was 1.052 and hopefully it will end up at 1.013 and hopefully 39 IBU which will fall into the middle of the APA range.
Thanks! I don't really have a recipe. It was an extract kit from Listermann's. I just followed the instructions. I can list what was in it, if you like. It's fermenting now. I like seeing the bubbles in the lock. Since my kit is a 2 bucket deal, I won't have a secondary. I'll just rack it to the bottling bucket when it's ready for bottling. If all goes well, I intend to get a carboy for secondary before too many batches are brewed.

LouisianaVince
-Benjamin Franklin

Old 10-23-2006, 11:28 PM   #6
dantodd

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

I guess it was a pre-hopped kit then. Well, be sure to let us know how it comes out. My brew buddy is coming over to rack our brew tonight. I only have 2 buckets also but I'll just use the "bottling" bucket as a secondary and then move it back to the first bucket as a bottling bucket.

Old 10-24-2006, 03:15 AM   #7
LouisianaVince

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd
I guess it was a pre-hopped kit then. Well, be sure to let us know how it comes out. My brew buddy is coming over to rack our brew tonight. I only have 2 buckets also but I'll just use the "bottling" bucket as a secondary and then move it back to the first bucket as a bottling bucket.
Ah, forgive my ignorance. I'm brand new to this. It was not a pre-hopped kit. Here's the recipe:

First I simmered .25 lb. 60L Crystal Malt Grains in 2.5 gallons of water.
Then I added 4 lbs. Canadian Light Syrup and 4 lbs. Munton's Malt Syrup
Then 1 oz. Nugget hops (bittering). Boiled 45 minutes. Then .5 oz. cascade hops (flavoring), boiled 15 minutes, then 1 oz. cascade hops (aroma) and steeped 10 minutes.
I cooled the wort and got my level up to 5 gallons by adding water.
I had suspended my Nottingham yeast in a water solution earlier, and I'd gradually added cooled wort to it to equalize the temp. between the yeast solution and the wort. At 68 degrees, I pitched the yeast.
I got active fermentation some time between 7 and 12 hours later.
I still have .5 oz of cascade hops to add to the fermenter in 5 days (4 now). This is "dry hopping", but I can't say I really understand exactly what it does. More flavor?
When it come time for bottling, I've got 5 oz. of priming sugar to use.

Is that what you were looking for?

LouisianaVince
-Benjamin Franklin

Old 10-24-2006, 05:06 PM   #8
dantodd

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Thanks Vince.

On the hopping. The first addition that is in for all 60 minutes of your boil is adding primarily bitterness and very little flavor or aroma. The longer the time the hops is in the wort the more of the bitterness is extracted but more of the flavor and aroma get boiled away. The later addition adds more flavor but less of the bitterness is extracted. The dry hopping extracts no bitterness but gives more of the floral aromas to the beer, the aroma from the dry hopping is also more trasitory and with bottle aging is the first part to go away.

Mine is based on "Libery Ale" and is a bit more reddish than your will likely turn out.

Sounds like a good batch be sure to post your results.

Old 10-24-2006, 08:07 PM   #9
LouisianaVince

Recipes 

Will do, Dantodd.
Thanks for the clarifying info on hops. In the Listermann's site, there's a pdf file saying this is supposed to be similar to Sierra Nevada. I hope so! I'll definitely post a review, and you do the same, please!

LouisianaVince
-Benjamin Franklin

Last edited by LouisianaVince; 10-25-2006 at 03:23 AM.

Old 10-25-2006, 03:25 AM   #10
usc_cop
Recipes 

Off topic, sort of, but...

Blue Note in the pipe? I used to manage a tobacco store... I lOVE pipes! We used to sell Blue Note, but not enough flavor for me... Ever tried the Solani series? Monjure International is the importer, Steven Monjure is an AWESOME individual!

Quick Reply