Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > My very first all grain...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2013, 01:52 AM   #11
homebrewdad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 348 Times on 255 Posts
Likes Given: 239

Quote:
Originally Posted by beergolf View Post
It may take a few batches to get your volumes dialed in with a new set up. Heat up some extra sparge water, so if you end up short you can add a little more to get to your volume.

The recipe looks fine, a good solid basic tripel recipe. Adding the sugar after fermentation slows works well, and it stresses the yeast less. Pitch the yeast in the mid sixties and slowly let the temp rise. Once the temp gets up keep it at that temp or even slightly warmer until it finishes. Belgian yeasts do not like to be cooled down.

Good luck with your first AG brew. It is really not that difficult.
Thanks. I plan to ferment at 64 for the first bit, then slowly ramp it up. I'll add the sugar once I hit 50% or so attenuation.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 01:59 AM   #12
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4939 Times on 3578 Posts
Likes Given: 995

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewdad View Post
Thanks. I plan to ferment at 64 for the first bit, then slowly ramp it up. I'll add the sugar once I hit 50% of so attenuation.
Sounds right.

One tip that might help. When you drain the first runnings out of the MLT, measure them. That way, you know exactly how much sparge water to add to the MLT. I know it seems obvious, but "about 3 gallons" can be 2-4 gallons, and it makes a huge difference!

Extra hot water on hand is a must, in case you miss your mash temp and need more sparge water later, but also is a couple of ice cubes.

Once you mash in and stir, stir some more and again. Then check the temperature in at least three different places. If it's different, stir some more. Then, when it's the same throughout, consider the temp. If it's too low, then add some boiling water. If it's too high, add two ice cubes. But don't get into adding boiling water, adding ice, back and forth. Give it a few minutes to equalize first.

If you're going to miss the temp, that's ok. Anywhere from about 147 to 155 is "ok" for this beer, but 148-151 is optimal. If you hit, say, 153, don't worry. Just stir some more. Only if you're at something like 156 should you add an ice cube or two. Otherwise it will cool too much and you'll be trying to bring it up!

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 01-19-2013, 02:01 AM   #13
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Sounds right.

One tip that might help. When you drain the first runnings out of the MLT, measure them. That way, you know exactly how much sparge water to add to the MLT. I know it seems obvious, but "about 3 gallons" can be 2-4 gallons, and it makes a huge difference!

Extra hot water on hand is a must, in case you miss your mash temp and need more sparge water later, but also is a couple of ice cubes.

Once you mash in and stir, stir some more and again. Then check the temperature in at least three different places. If it's different, stir some more. Then, when it's the same throughout, consider the temp. If it's too low, then add some boiling water. If it's too high, add two ice cubes. But don't get into adding boiling water, adding ice, back and forth. Give it a few minutes to equalize first.

If you're going to miss the temp, that's ok. Anywhere from about 147 to 155 is "ok" for this beer, but 148-151 is optimal. If you hit, say, 153, don't worry. Just stir some more. Only if you're at something like 156 should you add an ice cube or two. Otherwise it will cool too much and you'll be trying to bring it up!
Thanks for the excellent advice.

Old 01-19-2013, 02:10 AM   #14
mdgagne
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts

FWIW I think its always easier to shoot high on your mash temp and temper with cold water than try to increase with hot water.

+1 on measuring your first running... This is always how I figure out my sparge volume, it simple subtraction.

Desires volume - 1st running volume = sparge volume.

Depending on my grain bill I will do a single or double sparge, usually I don't bother with two unless my sparge volume is greater than 4 gallons.

Old 01-19-2013, 02:12 AM   #15
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdgagne View Post
FWIW I think its always easier to shoot high on your mash temp and temper with cold water than try to increase with hot water.

+1 on measuring your first running... This is always how I figure out my sparge volume, it simple subtraction.

Desires volume - 1st running volume = sparge volume.

Depending on my grain bill I will do a single or double sparge, usually I don't bother with two unless my sparge volume is greater than 4 gallons.
Why the demarcation at 4 gallons? Equipment limitation? Personal preference?

Old 01-19-2013, 09:02 PM   #16
mdgagne
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewdad View Post

Why the demarcation at 4 gallons? Equipment limitation? Personal preference?
In my mind 2 gallons is really the minimum amount of water needed to get the mash thin enough for the sparge to be productive. With that said I don't have any data to back that up, it is just my process.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:03 PM   #17
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdgagne View Post
In my mind 2 gallons is really the minimum amount of water needed to get the mash thin enough for the sparge to be productive. With that said I don't have any data to back that up, it is just my process.
Cool, thanks.

Quick Reply