My stomach hurts!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny9

Reaction score
:(

I read a couple of post about yeast in suspension and green beer. I am guessing this is my problem as well. Will it "pass" with time?

this is my first batch (Coopers canned extract + DME):

7 days in primary
6 days in secondary
13 days in bottle

I open one after 7 days cause I wanted to experience how it matured. Didn't bother me then. Opened a second after 12 days and it made my stomach hurt. Beer tasted pretty good, but needs more time for carbing (nice head, but only a few bubbles in the liquid).

Basically 28 days since I pitched the yeast...I know RDWHAHB.:eek:

i get MAD GAS from anything brewed by sierra nevada, but it tastes so good!!!!!

fwiw, my homebrew i give a 2.0 on the 10 point gas pain scale. hardly noticable to ME. sierra nevada, i give a 5.0, and deschutes, well i give them a 9.0!!!!!! i missed work once it was so painfull in the guts...i shall stick to homebrew, once i have the stock on hand to do so.

I actually did not like beer for 40 years of my life - just hated the stuff, Bud, Miller, Blatz all sucked!!! I really do get a gag reflex. Then . . . . I discovered REAL beer - now I'm turning into an alcoholic! LOL

I actually did not like beer for 40 years of my life - just hated the stuff, Bud, Miller, Blatz all sucked!!! I really do get a gag reflex. Then . . . . I discovered REAL beer - now I'm turning into an alcoholic! LOL

Yeah when i turned 21 I didn't drink because all my friends drank Coors light. I think it tastes like Play-doh.

Then I got new friends. Friends who like beer.

Green beer has never made me ill. It does make me mad. I always think, "God damn it this batch tastes like ****." This happens all too often.

You have two options.

1. Practice farting. Farting is your friend, and is the best safety valve.
2. Stand in the middle of a circle of traffic cones and warn people to stay away, you are liable to go off at any time.

as you probably already know.. a slow and steady pour into the glass and not drinking the last 1/4 - 1/2 inch of beer in the bottle can help reduce drinking the yeast. Never drink it out of the bottle.. you'll be sorry.. talk about bubble guts.

You are pouring it into a glass, except for the the last 1/4" of beer in the bottle, right?

either way, its the fact there's plenty of active yeast in suspension (even if the beer appears crystal clear). your stomach will get used to it.

A steady diet of homebrew will have your system acclimated in a matter of a couple of weeks at most. You must keep the supply chain going. BREW OFTEN.

Also it helps if you have a healthy gut environment. Drink 8 ounces of Kefir every day and you'll toughen up your gut flora and be better able to assimilate the beer yeast without undue distress.

OK, no one said it so I will.

Your homebrew is contaminated with "Iwanttodrinkall yourstuff", a very dangerous parasite, before you develop any further cases I suggest you send half of your brews to me for quality control inspections and samplings.

After very extreme testing I will let you know when it is safe to drink it.

Warning, after time people close to you who know where you store your homebrew will turn into this dangerous parasite also.

Also, active yeast is very good for your digestive track, I would also recommend eating some yogurt with at least 7 active cultures. Your clean out all those hot dogs, sausages, hambers, steaks quickly. Hey, you can tell your doctor your making room for more.

Just thought I would follow up and close off this thread for any other newcomers.

I am happy to say, that since starting this thread I have had no more ill effects from my homebrew. At the end of the day, I think I was being a bit sloppy during my pour into the glass. I started paying more attention and watching for the slurry in the bottle to make sure none of it was getting in the glass.

all better now:drunk:

thanks for all the advice

:mug:

Just thought I would follow up and close off this thread for any other newcomers.

I am happy to say, that since starting this thread I have had no more ill effects from my homebrew. At the end of the day, I think I was being a bit sloppy during my pour into the glass. I started paying more attention and watching for the slurry in the bottle to make sure none of it was getting in the glass.

all better now:drunk:

thanks for all the advice

:mug:
Actually, if you weren't so impatient and allowed the brew to do its thing on its own time you would have made a better beer to begin with. You bottled in 13 days. That's way too early.

Good to hear... but totally expected. You can have a reaction to HB if your stomach isn't used to it yet. I had killer farts for a couple of weeks after I started brewing again, and two of my Thanksgiving dinner guests apparently made their bathroom their friend after a few HB's during T-day. Having trouble convincing them to try it again as a matter of fact....but that just leaves more for me!

Well, I don't know if this is relevant, but every time I drink something with "Ice" in the name I get the same effects. Now granted I haven't had any of the "Devil Brews" (as I like to call them) in years so I have no idea or care to know if the same effects would hit me now. I had friends who said it was due to the high alcohol content of the ice compared to regular beer. Then I would offer them a Guinness out of my fridge, and they would run like little girls...lol

Glad to see you back on track Johnny. Would be a shame to not be able to enjoy the "Awesomeness" (yea I just made that word up...lol) of you own brew.....

:mug:You talk as if farting is a bad thing. Embrace it, use it to your advantage. They are timelessly funny. It's the sharts that are not so much fun. Makes the laundress whine, headlocks with the "Dutch oven treatment" shuts that up,(protect your junk).:D

The reality is that your gut is probably deficient in beneficial bacteria. The introduction of large amounts of yeast is not welcome. Also a diet that is high in gluten such as pastas/white breads/refined grains can cause gastric problems.

The best solution is not to stop drinking your beer completely but feed your gut with beneficial bacteria as you would want to feed your carboy lots of sugar :)

Use yogurt containing enzymes and bacterias. You could also take a probiotic enzyme supplement. The simple thing would be to eat plain yogurts with the necessary enzymes, you can add fruits to sweeten it.

Good luck its certainly not fatal. Our most recent microbrewery does unfiltered german style beers with lots of yeasty zest. After one 24 ounce glass I had severe gastric upset a few hours later.

Its all about how you feed the gut its much needed bacteria.

Wow, the search function WORKS!

As I am sitting outside brewing my third beer and drinking a bottle of my first, I have been noticing the same effects.

Thanks for the info!

Wow, the search function WORKS!

As I am sitting outside brewing my third beer and drinking a bottle of my first, I have been noticing the same effects.

Thanks for the info!

i second this search thing. :) my stomach has been hurting too. not like a SICK hurt, but like a cramping, come and go pain. I knew it had something to do with the homebrew but could not pin point the problem. i will try the yogurt. :eek:

Oddly enough, I have noticed since I have started homebrewing that commercial beers tend to cause the toxic green gasses for me and homebrew no longer does.

DrunkleJon said:
Oddly enough, I have noticed since I have started homebrewing that commercial beers tend to cause the toxic green gasses for me and homebrew no longer does.

I had a commercial craft beer last night for the first time in a month or so, and immediately did not feel well. Probably a coincidence -- it was a perfectly nice pint.

I usually pour my homebrews into a glass or mug and drink from there. I took some with me to a friend's for the 4th(drinking straight from the bottle) and it was a LONG next day. :cross: I tried it one other time with similar effects. Not any more. I'll drink out of a Solo cup if I have to . ..

I like to sample my beer at every stage - before it goes into the primary, when I rack to the secondary, when I keg, etc. When I first started, I was told that the yeast wouldn't be a problem. And the first few batches, it wasn't. Then I sampled some at just the wrong time, and swallowed a ton of very active yeast. I spent the rest of the night doing scissor-kicks in bed, wondering if I needed to go to the hospital to avoid having my stomach burst.

I still taste at every stage, but I spit it out now - that's the sort of experience that sticks with you!

Back