Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > My second brew, decided to re-hydrate yeast and this happens :0

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2013, 02:31 AM   #1
BansheeRider
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default My second brew, decided to re-hydrate yeast and this happens :0 (**UPDATE**)

img_1937.jpg

I am at work and won't be home until tomorrow around noonish. My wife smelled beer and decided to take a look in the closet and found this surprise. I rehydrated the yeast in this batch, my first batch I did not. This batch is an Octane IPA (OG 1.069). The airlock has stopped bubbling mostly as of now. This happened over night on day 2 of fermentation, today is day 3. I guess next time I should rig a blowoff tube for high gravity beers and rehydrating yeast right? Will this be ok until i get home? My wife cleaned the airlock lid with a warm wash cloth because the foam was crusted over and the airlock was not venting anymore. She won't take it off and replace the starsan inside it because she's afraid of messing something up. Will this be ok for another 18 hours or so? Thanks!

Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 02:32 AM   #2
freisste
Recipes 

Liked 305 Times on 256 Posts

If she's home, have her replace it with a blowoff setup.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:34 AM   #3
BansheeRider
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freisste View Post
If she's home, have her replace it with a blowoff setup.
She won't do it. The bubbling has stopped as of now apparently.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:36 AM   #4
zeg
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 137

I think it'll be ok for a day. The liquid in the airlock should not contain anything that wasn't either already in the beer or growing in the star-san (hopefully nothing!). It'll still keep air from drawing back in (at least, it looks like it's deep enough). I'd just try not to get any suckback when removing it for cleaning.

FWIW, I think it's prudent to use a blowoff tube every time, regardless of the gravity.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:42 AM   #5
MicheleE63
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My second brew resulted in a HUGE beersplosion, so this isn't too bad. Yet. It may last till you get home, it may not. My opinion, and I'm pretty new so the experts probably have better advice- have your wife take the airlock off, clean and sanitize it, and put it back on. When she takes it off, she should cover the hole with a paper towel sprayed with Star-San until she gets the airlock cleaned, sanitized, and put back in. Again - just my opinion. As for me, I have never brewed any beer without a blow-off tube since. Good yeast procedures should make vigorous fermentation-why chance it?

Michele

Old 01-14-2013, 02:47 AM   #6
BansheeRider
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicheleE63 View Post
My second brew resulted in a HUGE beersplosion, so this isn't too bad. Yet. It may last till you get home, it may not. My opinion, and I'm pretty new so the experts probably have better advice- have your wife take the airlock off, clean and sanitize it, and put it back on. When she takes it off, she should cover the hole with a paper towel sprayed with Star-San until she gets the airlock cleaned, sanitized, and put back in. Again - just my opinion. As for me, I have never brewed any beer without a blow-off tube since. Good yeast procedures should make vigorous fermentation-why chance it?
I hope it is ok until i get home. Again, my wife refuses to touch it For some reason she doesn't want to. When i get home I will have to teach her how to do this because often times I am away from home working.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:52 AM   #7
HopsMan
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You'll be fine. Judging by the level of liquid still in the airlock, nothing is getting in, and as zeg said, nothing that is in there now wasn't already in the beer. Clean it as soon as you can, I wouldn't worry about a blow off at this point, but honestly, it will be fine.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:56 AM   #8
BansheeRider
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopsMan View Post
You'll be fine. Judging by the level of liquid still in the airlock, nothing is getting in, and as zeg said, nothing that is in there now wasn't already in the beer. Clean it as soon as you can, I wouldn't worry about a blow off at this point, but honestly, it will be fine.
Thanks! I had the airlock soaking in starsan through the whole boil and wort chilling. The inside of the airlock was filled with starsan too, so there's no doubt that the inside of the airlock is sanitary.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:13 AM   #9
MicheleE63
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BansheeRider

I hope it is ok until i get home. Again, my wife refuses to touch it For some reason she doesn't want to. When i get home I will have to teach her how to do this because often times I am away from home working.
Why won't she touch it? She does understand its just beer, right? :-). Get a couple blow off tubes and use one every time and you won't have to worry when you're out of town for work. It IS just beer, right? (Snicker)

Michele

kh54s10 Likes This 
Old 01-14-2013, 03:17 AM   #10
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 682 Times on 578 Posts
Likes Given: 173

As MicheleE63 said rig a blow off tube every time. You might not need it but will surely be glad if you had one installed and really needed it.

Quick Reply