Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > My Raspberry Wheat is Really Bitter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2009, 03:42 PM   #1
mlutha
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default My Raspberry Wheat is Really Bitter

I brewed the Raspberry Wheat extract recipe kit from Midwest; it's been in the bottle for 3 weeks. The kit comes with 4 oz of raspberry extract, which I added to the bottling bucket. I also added about 2.5-lbs of raspberries from my garden to secondary, which I froze & thawed before adding.

The resulting brew is extremely bitter/sour- not hop-bitter, but lemon-bitter. When swmbo tasted, who has a better pallate than me, she guessed it was a lemon beer, and found no hint of raspberry flavor.

It's not a bad flavor, it just tastes like a very lemony beer with a hint of raspberry in the aroma.

My question is: que pasa? I'm thinking my fresh raspberries, which taste perfectly fine to me but are slightly on the bitter side, aren't the right type of raspberries for brewing? It's just strange that they've apparently totally dominated the taste profile, with practically no evidence of the 4 oz of flavor extract.

Thanks in advance for any opinions/advice

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2009, 03:49 PM   #2
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 312 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 220

How long ago did you brew it?

I'm no fruit beer expert but 2.5lb of raspberry PLUS flavor extract seems like overkill to me. Did you taste it after adding the fresh raspberrys but before adding the extract?

Something is definitely up if you added that much "Raspberryness" and didn't have any flavor come through.

Old 08-27-2009, 04:31 PM   #3
Arkador
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I used 2# of raspberries and no extract and had plenty or raspberry taste. I don't think you needed to add both 2# of fruit AND 4oz of extract.

Old 08-27-2009, 06:07 PM   #4
mlutha
Recipes 

Default more info

I brewed it about 8 weeks ago....I had the 2.5-lbs of raspberries in secondary for about 2 weeks....when I tasted it before bottling, there was quite a bit of raspberry aroma, but the taste was certainly on the bitter site.

That's why I added the entire 4 oz of raspberry extract, which I wasn't originally planning on doing. I figured it would give it a decent 'baseline', which is what's missing

Quick Reply