The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Is my pot causing infection?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2013, 10:32 PM   #1
MZzzz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Is my pot causing infection?

Iv used this pot for two batches of beer and 2 batches of chili. Both batches of chili came out great... The beer, not so much. Its turned black inside. Its a cheap aluminum pot. Beer turned out bitter.

image-1557682282.jpg

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2013, 10:37 PM   #2
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 984 Times on 610 Posts
Likes Given: 2659

You're kettle can't cause an infection. The pot is supposed to be black inside. It's an oxide layer that forms after boiling, and it is a protective layer. Usually you want to boil water in a new aluminum kettle for an hour or so to create this layer. If you didn't do that before you boiled wort in it, then likely your beer tasted bad for this reason. Don't scrub off the black layer!

Old 03-22-2013, 10:39 PM   #3
WannabeBeerNerd
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Pretty new to this myself and I'm sure you'll hear people say to go stainless vs. aluminum, but from everything I've read and brewed so far your pot looks fine. That dark gray layer is oxidation and you want it to protect your beer from the raw aluminum of the pot....that said I've read several times to Never use your brew pots for anything else, especially anything as flavorful and acidic as pasta sauce or chili as it will cause off flavors in your beer

Old 03-22-2013, 10:44 PM   #4
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeBeerNerd View Post
Pretty new to this myself and I'm sure you'll hear people say to go stainless vs. aluminum, but from everything I've read and brewed so far your pot looks fine. That dark gray layer is oxidation and you want it to protect your beer from the raw aluminum of the pot....that said I've read several times to Never use your brew pots for anything else, especially anything as flavorful and acidic as pasta sauce or chili as it will cause off flavors in your beer
The Stainless vs. Aluminum debate is really just a matter of personal choice. There is no problem with using aluminum. I've made lots of really good beer in aluminum pots. If you clean your kettle good after cooking with it there's no reason why you can't use it for food and for beer. If you cook something so acidic that it strips the oxide layer, then you might have to re-apply the layer by boiling water in it again. I doubt acidic food will even do that, though. If it did you'd be eating that stuff, and if that was the case people wouldn't cook in aluminum at all. It's more of a concern when cooking fatty/oily foods in a brew kettle, but even that is fine if you clean the kettle very well after each use.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:51 PM   #5
WannabeBeerNerd
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Wasn't arguing the Alum/Stainless thing at all, I still use aluminum and all my beers have come out good, so I'm in no great hurry to change and while the taste/cross contamination of flavors issue is anecdotal at best I was just offering up what I had heard and aluminum is cheap enough that I reserve mine for brewing only and take one more variable out the 100 other things I can, and routinely do still screw up😱

Old 03-22-2013, 10:56 PM   #6
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I don't use my large kettles for food either. I do have a couple smaller ones that I do use for food and small batches of beer, though.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:53 AM   #7
Cyclman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 333 Times on 295 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Since you will never completely scrub the flavors from a pot, mixing food and wort in the same pot will likely cause off flavors.

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime! Bill Owen quote

Join the Beacon Point (Aurora, CO) Brewclub on Facebook- casual, fun brewing, drinking, socializing, visiting the great breweries / brewpubs in CO!

Old 03-23-2013, 06:33 PM   #8
MZzzz
Recipes 

Thanks for the input. I think my best bet from what everyones posted is just to buy a new pot for brewing only. I am planning to brew tonight so hopefully i can find a new one locally for cheap. I let my pot soak in bbrite overnight, so if i cant find one today i may try to brew in it again until i can order something online. Maybe ill just boil some water now to make sure that oxidation is still there cause i did scrub some off.

Old 03-23-2013, 06:44 PM   #9
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 378 Times on 323 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclman View Post
Since you will never completely scrub the flavors from a pot, mixing food and wort in the same pot will likely cause off flavors.
Sorry man, i am not buying into this at all...the OP's pot is absolutely fine IMHO, clean it well, rinse, repeat...make food beer whatever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MZzzz View Post
Thanks for the input. I think my best bet from what everyones posted is just to buy a new pot for brewing only.
Buy another kettle if you want to, or because it may save you the trouble of really meticulously cleaning your pot when you switch from food to brew.

I would simply clean it very well, twice, and not be concerned, at all! Also depends a bit on how much dough you have, and how much storage space you have. But please don't think your kettle is ruined cause you made a batch of chili in it.

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com/

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0
Stauffbier Likes This 
Old 03-23-2013, 06:45 PM   #10
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserbrewer View Post
sorry man, i am not buying into this at all...the op's pot is absolutely fine imho, clean it well, rinse, repeat...make food beer whatever!
+1 I did a seafood boil in mine and then brewed a batch. No issue at all.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard
Stauffbier Likes This 

Quick Reply