Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > My patience has run out

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2012, 09:29 PM   #1
homebrewdad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 319 Times on 239 Posts
Likes Given: 227

Default My patience has run out

I feel that I have been really, really patient (for a newbie, at least) with this brewing process. My first brew - Yorkshire square brown ale, an extract kit with specialty grains from AHS - spent fifteen days in primary, followed by fifteen more in secondary. On Saturday, it will have been in bottles for three weeks.

I cannot take it any more. I've placed one bottle in the fridge; on Saturday, I'll crack it open and see how it is.

It may not be quite there yet, since my closet is typically 65-68 degrees. I guess I'm cheating a bit on the three weeks @ 70 degrees guideline... but I figure the worst I'll get is very slightly green beer.

Of course, with my luck, this batch will want to bottle condition for six weeks or somesuch. We'll just have to see.

My second batch - an imperial nut brown ale - is almost at week four in primary. I'm looking at at least four weeks in secondary, followed by a looong time in bottles (the recipe tells me that it becomes barely ready at three months from brew date, is good at six, and amazing at a year). Darn it, I want some good beer NOW! Is that so wrong???

Fermenting: nothing
Lagering: Swarthy Satyr (traditional bock)
Bottled: Royal Goblin (Hoppy Hobgoblin rendition), Treasure Type "T" (oatmeal toffee stout), Enchantress (big Irish red ale), Frostfire (Oktoberfest), Thundersmoke brown ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2012, 09:31 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2712 Times on 1630 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

What is it they say....The first step in getting over a disease is admitting you have a problem....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

plainbrad Likes This 
Old 02-16-2012, 09:32 PM   #3
Leggoma
Recipes 

I'm a few days away from being at 3 weeks in the bottle with my first brew (American Amber). I counted seven empty bottles on the counter. To be fair, 2 of those were from giving a pair of friends a sample.

The one I drank at week 1 had a lot of room to improve upon, but the taste matured and the carbonation increased in the second week. Now I'm ready to throw the rest of the batch into the fridge this Sunday (the 3 week point). Overall, i'm extremely pleased.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:32 PM   #4
KevinW
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Personally, I would subtract the time spent in the secondary and you could have been enjoying them now!

Drink them up!!!

“I don't drink beer all the time but I can drink (a) beer anytime" - Me

Old 02-16-2012, 09:40 PM   #5
homebrewdad
Recipes 

I have a problem?

Yeah, I have a problem.

Ah, well.

Bottled: Royal Goblin (Hoppy Hobgoblin rendition), Treasure Type "T" (oatmeal toffee stout), Enchantress (big Irish red ale), Frostfire (Oktoberfest), Thundersmoke brown ale

Old 02-16-2012, 09:46 PM   #6
BrewinHooligan
High Class Desert Trash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 675 Posts
Likes Given: 1159

It really is amazing how the patience can pay off... I rushed batch #1 and drank almost all of it too green. 6 weeks after bottling it is starting to taste really good, at week 3 it was pretty bad and I didn't expect my 1st extract kit to improve much over time... I am kicking myself about it now, but at least I have empty bottles that I can fill with something new!

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
- Winston Churchill

Old 02-16-2012, 09:48 PM   #7
frazier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 6

If you have waited three weeks after bottling, and have yet to try one - then you are a better man than I am.

I always try a bottle at one week, and another at 2, before I start stocking the fridge at 3.

~
"Anything worth doing, is worth doing slowly." ~~ Mae West

Old 02-16-2012, 09:51 PM   #8
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by frazier View Post
If you have waited three weeks after bottling, and have yet to try one - then you are a better man than I am.
For what it's worth, it is absolutely KILLING me.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:55 PM   #9
H-ost
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Yeah are you kidding??? You have been EXCELLENT at this patience thing. Waiting darn near 2 months to try your brew is longer that I have ever gone before the first sip and this is your FIRST BREW!

Good on you man, those are more than likely all ready for you to drink em up and with your patience you definitely deserve it. Take solace in the fact that your very first beer you have made should be fully attenuated, carbonated, and conditioned. That is more than a lot of people can say for the first 6 pack from their first brew.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:59 PM   #10
homebrewdad
Recipes 

You guys are fantastic. Thanks for the positive feedback.

One more day and a half, then I can stop fondling bottles while staring longingly at them...

Hmmm. That didn't come out quite right.

Quick Reply