New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > My Oktoberfest is not hitting FG after 3 weeks in primary. HELP!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2011, 04:24 AM   #21
Yooper
Frau Admin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3850 Times on 2813 Posts
Likes Given: 640

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnheather125 View Post
would it hurt to throw somehoney in there as well if so how much could i get away with ? without bottle bombs that is ?
Any extra fermentables beyond the priming sugar will either need to be considered as part of the priming sugar (lower the priming sugar) or allowed to ferment out first before priming.

I have no idea why you want to add honey, but if you want to do it, do it before you consider bottling. Then allow it to ferment out, and then add the priming sugar for bottle. Otherwise, yes, bottle bombs will be guaranteed.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2011, 04:48 AM   #22
wedge421

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

How does it taste? If it tastes ok and not to sweet just let it go. Its fine. Chalk it up to experience.

The Best Homebrew and Beer Review VIDEOS on the internets:
http://www.youtube.com/user/BeerGeekNation
Buy Beer Geek Nation shirts - http://www.beergeeknation.com/store

Old 09-25-2011, 05:18 AM   #23
johnheather125
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I tastedwhen i took the SG i didnt notice any sweetness really and it tasted pretty good . this is only my second batch. one thing i did notice was a strong bite of alcohol.

Old 09-25-2011, 05:21 AM   #24
johnheather125
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

A friend had mentioned useing honey in his, but now it seems like a bad idea. I will Taste again because the last time I really was not looking for sweetness.

Old 09-25-2011, 02:56 PM   #25
Bob
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 33

It's not stuck. It's where it needs to be. Using extracts other than Pale/Light/Pils will often mean you end up above where you think your yeast will take you. It's the nature of the ingredients, not the yeast pooping out.

When we more experienced brewers talk about leftover fermentables in the extract, we mean fermentables that your yeast won't be able to metabolize no matter how long you leave it sit or how much yeast you add. Those unfermentables are what makes Amber and Munich extracts what they are; they also mean your FG won't go as low as you may calculate (or your recipe sheet tells you). Yeast can't read, nor can they understand English.

Say it with me: "I will stop worrying. I will leave my beer alone in the fermenter for another 7 days. Then will check the gravity with my hydrometer. If it remains the same (1.020), I will bottle using normal bottling procedure. Then I'll leave the bottles alone for three weeks in a ~70F cool, dark place."

Repeat.

Repeat.

Repeat.

Seriously - you're overthinking this. Do what I tell you and RDWHAHB!

Bob

Old 09-25-2011, 03:02 PM   #26
johnheather125
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

will do

Quick Reply