The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > My official newbie questions thread.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2013, 02:50 PM   #11
brewinchef_fairfax
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

Though it's not written in stone - that much headroom in your fermentation bucket is asking for trouble (off flavors/'oxidation). You'd be better in a 3 gallon carboy or better bottle for 2.5 gallon batches - or in the Mr. Beer Bottle as intended.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 03:47 PM   #12
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 701 Times on 588 Posts
Likes Given: 217

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewinchef_fairfax View Post
Though it's not written in stone - that much headroom in your fermentation bucket is asking for trouble (off flavors/'oxidation). You'd be better in a 3 gallon carboy or better bottle for 2.5 gallon batches - or in the Mr. Beer Bottle as intended.
Not really. During the fermentation there should be plenty of CO2 produced to totally fill that headspace. It would be different if it was for the secondary as there should be very little CO2 available to cover and protect the beer.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:28 PM   #13
tackett
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-MN View Post
Not really. During the fermentation there should be plenty of CO2 produced to totally fill that headspace. It would be different if it was for the secondary as there should be very little CO2 available to cover and protect the beer.
That's good to know!

Being the numbers oriented person I am...I wonder exactly how much co2 is made during fermentation?

Old 01-13-2013, 04:59 PM   #14
tackett
Recipes 

Here's a newbie question.

My second batch is ready to bottle. But:

I need to get the beer from the primary to the LBK, but I don't have an auto siphon, and suck starting some tubing is probably a terrible idea.

Is their anyway I can simply pour it in very carefully?

Old 01-13-2013, 10:58 PM   #15
Dynachrome
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 458

Go down to Yoopers post. She's a pro.

Siphoning For Beginners

That should get added to this thread: Beginners Basics

I just take a drag on the hose - highly frowned upon - I'll have to give this method a try.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:40 AM   #16
tackett
Recipes 

Ok, so my second batch is in the bottle. I'll outline everything I did. I'll point out what I think my mistakes were. Please correct me and/or add your opinions.

Started with the second can from my mr beer kit. This was a Mexican cerveza. Since my first batch was infected, I was extra careful with cleanliness this time, but in my ignorance I used bleach. Mistake #1

1: I boiled the HME for over an hour looking for the "hot break" as described in whatever it was I was reading. I never saw it happen, so I shut it off after an hour.

2: instead of the mr beer LBK, I used a 5 gallon bucket since the lbk was brewing my infected first batch. I was extra careful to clean it, but again with bleach. I made a blow off tube from some Home Depot supplies. Some tubing, barbs, and stuck the end down in a bucket of water.

3: I fermented this way for the full 3 weeks.

4: I pulled the top off the bucket and stupidly stuck my head in it and tried to take a big smell of the beer. Bad mistake, all the co2 about made me pass out. Don't do that.

5: I boiled some water and poured it in one side of the sink, I made a bleach mix in the other side of the sink. I cleaned everything in the bleach mix and, using some tongs, rinsed everything in the boiled water side. (Cooled of course)

6: I boiled 2oz of honey in some water in a Pyrex glass in the microwave. I waited for it to cool, then dumped it into the LBK.

7: I poured the bucket into the now free mr beer LBK. Mistake #2. I tried to pour as slowly as I could, but I probably put a lot of oxygen in there.

8: I let the remaining trub settle, then started bottling with my sanitary bottles.......only to find out that I measured incorrectly and I had way way less than 2.5 gallons. I only filled up four of the pet bottles. So, given that I primed for 2.5 gallons, I'm sure the bottles will be exploding in my basement at some point soon. Mistake #3.

So all in all 3 major mistakes. Not too bad I don't think, maybe if they don't blow up, those 4 bottles will actually be drinkable.

On to the next batch!!

Old 01-14-2013, 04:37 AM   #17
lespaul23
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

My opinion, go 5 gal. I can give u a link to a 8 gal kettle for $29 shipped. Full boil 5 gal then u can start home brewing. I use it and it boils wort just as good as anyone eles.. again this is my opinion but if u like mr beer get out of it and do it for real... mr beer gets u into it then u never leave. I can post a link to a stir plate for $45 free shipping and a wort chiller for $39 u can get into it for cheap until u know if u wana spend more.

Too much to list going on.....

Kevin

Old 01-14-2013, 05:03 AM   #18
gromitdj
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I do 2 gallon all-grain batches on my stovetop. Then I ferment in my Mr. Beer little brown keg. It cost me very little to get started. Don't believe that you have to go out and spend a ton of money to make good beer. If you read the Mr.Beer sticky then you already know that the Mr. Beer LBK is a very capable fermenter.

Donnie

Old 01-14-2013, 10:48 AM   #19
tackett
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lespaul23 View Post
My opinion, go 5 gal. I can give u a link to a 8 gal kettle for $29 shipped. Full boil 5 gal then u can start home brewing. I use it and it boils wort just as good as anyone eles.. again this is my opinion but if u like mr beer get out of it and do it for real... mr beer gets u into it then u never leave. I can post a link to a stir plate for $45 free shipping and a wort chiller for $39 u can get into it for cheap until u know if u wana spend more.
Do tell.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:04 AM   #20
MotorcycleMatt
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewinchef_fairfax View Post
Uh, hope you know that's not correct for a primary.

Also as it has been pointed out before op, you can go more complex and still use your Mr beer keg and just do smaller batches

Quick Reply