Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Is my LHBS leading mein the wrong direction?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2013, 05:15 PM   #1
Matt3189
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Is my LHBS leading mein the wrong direction?

Hey guys,

I bought the Festa Brew Wheat kit the other day, which is 23 Litres of pre made all grain wort. The instructions say to do a 5 day primary AT MAX.

Even as a new brewer this seems odd to me, and does not fit with everything I read on these forums.

I asked at my LHBS and the employee gave me the same response as the instructions, and said if I leave it in the primary for longer than five days I seriously risk ruining the batch of beer.

Am I crazy for thinking that is a load of ****?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2013, 05:18 PM   #2
tmoney645
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I primary for 3 weeks than go straight to bottles, and my beer tastes great. There is a huge debate over the necessity of racking into a secondary. I think racking off after 5 days is too fast in any case

Old 04-08-2013, 05:18 PM   #3
Pratzie
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 153 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Are these special yeasties or something?

Suggestion: try a new LHBS.

Also just to ease my curiosity, what are the ingredients to the kit and what type of yeast did they give ya?

Secondary: Empty
Aging:
On Deck: Deception Cream Stout, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Yooper's Oatmeal Stout, Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, Reaper's Mild

Old 04-08-2013, 05:19 PM   #4
LLBeanJ
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 300 Times on 231 Posts
Likes Given: 124

Leaving it in primary is not going to ruin your beer. For a wheat beer, which are best when consumed fresh, a 14 day primary (give or take) would be about right, assuming that FG has been reached.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:21 PM   #5
aiptasia
Recipes 

Liked 531 Times on 469 Posts
Likes Given: 162

No, you aren't crazy at all. The only way to know when the primary fermentation is done is by taking gravity readings with a hydrometer. When they're the same for 2-3 days in a row, it's done. Even then, it won't hurt the beer to sit on the yeast for another week or two to clean up any fusel alcohols created during the initial fermentation.

Can you bottle it after five days? Probably, but if the fermentation hasn't finished yet, you'll run the risk of creating bottle bombs or just having a "Green" tasting beer for a few weeks or more. The more experience you get when brewing, the easier it becomes to just let the beer run it's course for 3-4 weeks in the primary.

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:24 PM   #6
Matt3189
Recipes 

I am at work right now but when I get home I will post the ingredients and the yeast. I knew in my head that this guy was wrong, but figured I might as well ask since I had never done a wheat beer.

The owner of this store is a great guy and extremely helpful, but it seems like his employees either dont know or dont care enough to give you decent advice.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:30 PM   #7
Matt3189
Recipes 

I believe it is Revvy that I always see preach the 1 week primary-2 week secondary -3 week bottle rule, which is what I was going to follow. But this guy at the store just kept saying no way a week is too long in primary!

I guess I should thank the Government of Canada ads that taught me in the 90's to not believe everything I see/hear!

Old 04-08-2013, 05:32 PM   #8
Matt3189
Recipes 

Yeast: Safale S-04

Just looked it up online, this is what comes with the kit. ^^

Old 04-08-2013, 05:33 PM   #9
Pratzie
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 153 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 112

short of hitting the autolysis point, which is a very long time on the yeast cake, extended times in primary won't hurt. if anything it'll give the yeast a chance to clean up the beer. Time is almost always on the side of the brewer, so for them to say u run the risk of ruining it, in my mind it sends up a flag.

Secondary: Empty
Aging:
On Deck: Deception Cream Stout, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Yooper's Oatmeal Stout, Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, Reaper's Mild

Old 04-08-2013, 05:41 PM   #10
Matt3189
Recipes 

It all seemed wrong as soon as I heard it, but I figured I would be stupid not to at least investigate seeing as I only have 3 batches under my belt.

Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply