Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > My Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale attempt

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2011, 09:33 PM   #1
OHIOSTEVE
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default My Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale attempt

My KBBA is on the oak chips now ( 2 days) and the sample I pulled at racking was terriffic. I THINK I hit the base brew dead on and will make this again even if I mess up the oaking process because I really liked the taste of the sample. I cut a stave from a KNOB CREEK barrel into chunks and soaked it in woodford reserve for 2 weeks. I figure I will wait a bit longer and start tasting it until I get what I want. Any tips on how long to wait before starting to taste it?

BALDGUT BREWS
DoubleAught Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2011, 02:01 AM   #2
carltjones
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I do about 5 days with handfull of oak chips. Ive done 3 weeks in keg and stout nearly undrinkable.

Old 11-19-2011, 03:23 AM   #3
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by carltjones View Post
i do about 5 days with handfull of oak chips. Ive done 3 weeks in keg and stout nearly undrinkable.
gonna taste it tomorrow
BALDGUT BREWS

Old 11-19-2011, 04:09 PM   #4
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

tasted it just now, and normally when I do a taste of warm flat beer I taste and toss the rest of the sample. I could have poured a pint of this and sat and enjoyed it. Anyway the oak has only been in about 3 days now and I can MAYBE get a hint of it already. I will give it till monday and give it another taste. Definitely brewing this again even without the oak.

BALDGUT BREWS

Old 11-19-2011, 04:47 PM   #5
boostsr20
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

If you like how it tastes now, bottle or keg it now. I too have ruined a stout by not bottling when I liked it. Time got away from me and 1 week later it was nearly undrinkable. Now at 1.5 years old its mellowed enough to call it good.

Old 11-19-2011, 05:41 PM   #6
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostsr20 View Post
If you like how it tastes now, bottle or keg it now. I too have ruined a stout by not bottling when I liked it. Time got away from me and 1 week later it was nearly undrinkable. Now at 1.5 years old its mellowed enough to call it good.
understood but I am waiting on the oak and bourbon to come out more. I know what you are saying but the base beer for this is terriffic , Thats what I meant.
BALDGUT BREWS

Old 11-19-2011, 05:42 PM   #7
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

BTW is setting at 62 degrees so it will be a bit slower process hopefully. That way I do not overshoot it.

BALDGUT BREWS

Old 11-23-2011, 07:10 PM   #8
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Bottled it just now. Sat on the oak for 7 days and as I tasted I started to notice it changing so I quit while I was ahead. When I do this again I do not think I will soak the oak in bourbon, but rather add pieces of a toasted oak stave to the beer and add the bourbon seperately. I THINK the soaking in bourbon caused me to get more bourbon and less oak than I wanted. Still tastes great don't get me wrong but just not exactly where I want it. I will say that the base beer was dead on what I taste in the KBBA and the differences are in the oaking.

BALDGUT BREWS

Old 11-27-2011, 11:18 PM   #9
DoubleAught
...is drinking again
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 29

ohiosteve, I bought a 4 pack of KBBA yesterday. It's quite possibly one of the best beers I've ever drank. I'm interested in brewing this myself, what recipe did you use? Thanks!

In their efforts to regulate beer quality, the ancient Babylonians, who were among history's earliest brewers, decreed that any commercial beermaker who sold unfit beer would be drowned in their own libation.

Old 11-27-2011, 11:59 PM   #10
moorerm04
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Ohiosteve I brewed this clone for my last brew and it has been in the bottle three weeks now. I used 1 oz of med roast French oak chips and two vanilla beans. I did soak the oak and beans in bourbon during primary, but I discarded the Bourbon when I racked the beer on top of the oak and beans.... I was afraid of the tannins that are in the wood. I left it on top of the oak and vanilla for 15 days and it was perfect. I added around 1-1/4 cup of bourbon when I bottled, but I wish I would have added a little more.... My beer needs to age a little while longer, but it is the best beer I have brewed to this date.

Quick Reply