Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Is my grain F'd

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2010, 05:26 AM   #1
daveooph131
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts

Default Is my grain F'd

I plan to brew tomorrow I have grain that has been milled in a sealed bag from brewmasters. It's been about a month since I orderd...is this grain still ok to use?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2010, 05:39 AM   #2
northernlad
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Yes...........

Old 01-28-2010, 06:29 AM   #3
DavidSteel
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveooph131 View Post
I plan to brew tomorrow I have grain that has been milled in a sealed bag from brewmasters. It's been about a month since I orderd...is this grain still ok to use?
Should be all good, taste and smell it and if it seems off, get new grain. If it's been in the fridge or freezer, you're fine. Otherwise, do the taste/smell test. I don't like to let my grain rest more than 2 weeks when I do it myself but Ed sent me some milled grain before when I asked it to be unmilled (b/c I wasn't going to be around to brew for 2 months) and I ended up freezing it and putting it in a plastic tupperware container on top of that. I ended up using it as an experiment to save money and see how it'd turn out. It was fine. Plus, Ed seals those bags quite well. You should be good regardless. Go with it, breh.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:03 PM   #4
lunchbox
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It should be just fine. I've used older grain with no problems.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:08 PM   #5
nealf
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I've used an already crushed kit from Brewmasters Warehouse that was over a month old... hit about 80% efficiency, you're fine.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:17 PM   #6
Baldy_Beer_Brewery
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I've read a lot of posts online that says that these grains are now stale. I've read a lot of other stuff online that is not 100% true too.

These month old grains will be fine. I've stored uncrushed grains longer than that in a brown paper bag in my brew closet longer than a month.

Old 01-28-2010, 02:12 PM   #7
springer

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

I got grain from Ed that was milled my fault I didn't hit the unmilled option used to 2 month later . I tasted it before I used it and not a hint of stale/off flavor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldy_Beer_Brewery View Post

These month old grains will be fine. I've stored uncrushed grains longer than that in a brown paper bag in my brew closet longer than a month.
As long as the humidity is low and the temp reasonable whole grain will last for a long time .. Right now and until the next harvest the grain we buy is from last years harvest

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Quick Reply