New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > My God - it's full of beers!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 03:02 PM   #1
Epimetheus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Default My God - it's full of beers!

If there is a brew club in your area, go! Make the time. Tell your SO whatever you have to. Clubs are wonderful sources of learning and enthusiasm.

Yesterday was the first time I attended a brew club, Sparge, in Western MA (http://www.sparge.us/). In a nutshell, here is what I learned from the malt mavens of Western Massachusetts:

• Don't worry so much about equipment. You can create decent brews in any capacity.
  • Everyone uses a different process and pursues different types. You fit in.
  • Sanitize as best you can, but if an infection occurs...
  • It is difficult to brew a really terrible beer. It may not be what you expected, but it will probably have intriguing aspects.
  • RDWHAHB. Truly.

The attendees had a very wide range of experience, from a person who started distilling in the '50s to newbies like me who found a Mr. Beer kit on the curb a few months ago. From microbiologists to people that simply have an unused turkey fryer.

Each brew brought by an attendee was so was so very, very different it was impossible to decide on a best or worst. Mild English ales. Coffee flavored browns. Beers with hints of bourbon, honey, or gapes. An imperial stout aged several years, And a Sour beer? You mean like it was infected on purpose? Eeww! Um, wait, well, actually this is intriguing. Definitely an acquired taste like bleu cheese.

What to expect at a club? A relaxed attitude and friendly people. Bring a small glass for tasting. Bring water to occasionally rinse between flavors. If you have had enough, stop, no penalty points. If you have a beer, bring it. I brought a Mr. Beer ale. So there. Even if you think it is atrocious you can get feedback on what went wrong. (or it might be exactly right and you don't like that style!) Some clubs have speakers. Some have joint projects too large for individual members. It varies as much as people do.

So find a club already. Go. Meet. Schmooze. And Relax, Don't Worry, etc

Add your water analysis to the water report map! Instructions on this thread
RM-MN Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 03:08 PM   #2
Ogri
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 47

paging "thisisjohnbrown"

Old 11-11-2012, 03:08 PM   #3
Powerslave1724
Recipes 

Sounds awesome! I live down in Fall River, MA on the border of RI. There has to be some local to me. I'm going to have to look into this.

Old 11-11-2012, 03:18 PM   #4
KBentley57
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

+1 on the title reference

Old 11-11-2012, 05:32 PM   #5
Greyhound
Blackjack Brewing Co.